• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Tahs under 20s lost their third flyhalf - Connor O'Shea - to a hamstring tear just after he made a break.

Clancy and McGregor are already out for the season.

I don't know how many weeks he will be out but it was not a good look. Fullback Jack Maddocks is probably the next one off the rank, but he was at fullback and was hurting badly himself by the end of the game and couldn't move well.

Tom Molloy, a centre, and just back from his own injury spent the most time as first receiver yesterday when O'Shea went off.

Hooker Declan Moore who has been one of the Tahs U20 best must be doubtful for Rd 1 also.

My internet and phone have been down; so I didn't write a blog on their last trial last night, but I may write one tonight.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hopefully they are not written off before they start. Two pivotal positions against any team let alone the Qld u20's in rd#1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The Rebels U20's v Sydney Uni game in Wagga was a solid hitout in some reasonably warm (32 degrees) conditions. From what I saw, the Rebels were not as crisp in their passing and tackling as the guys from Syndey Uni who were a mix of 2nd Grade, 3rd Grade and Colts.
The Rebels have some big boppers in their ranks who are mobile and provide some good running options through broken play. Their lineout was ok and with some more work will become a good starter platform for them, however the scrum needs work. There are some good points there for them to work on though.
Both the Uni and Rebels guys deserve some big wraps for coming to Wagga and having a run around. The Rebels have been here two weeks in a row and the Uni guys brought a cast of thousands to the game today and spent time at a local establishment before bussing it back to the big smoke (in time for lockout?).
Sorry I don't have any names, there were no programs developed for the day but there are some good footballers in both those teams and I look forward to keeping an eye on them into the future.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Twitter Game Report from Kippax (Uni vs NSW U20)
What a way to start the season! Trial number 1 against the @NSWWaratahs Under 20s. Harry Williams with an early try!
Angus Roberts adds the extras and the Students (playing a team full of other Students!) take and early 7-0 lead #upthestudents
NSW U20s hit back with a try, but unable to convert. Playing quarters for the trial and Sydney Uni takes a 7-5 lead at the first break.
NSW U20s score first in the 2nd quarter. Still unable to convert, but now take the lead 10-7.
NSW U20s in again, this time under the posts. Converted for a 17-7 lead
Quick reply by the Students. Lachlan Argiris goes over for a try after a strong effort by Lincoln Whiteley. Now 17-12 to NSW U20s.
Angus Roberts converts again to take the Students closer. 17-14 with minutes remaining in the first half.
Half time in our trial against NSW U20s and the Students are behind 17-14. Great to see some entertaining rugby!!
Scoreless 3rd Qtr with NSW U20s remaining in the lead 17-14 going in to the last period. Come on Students!
NSW U20s score in the corner. Unconverted but extending their lead to 22-14. About 10 minutes remaining in this first trial for the season.
Linc Whiteley barges over. Unconverted, but Students inch closer. 22-19 with minutes to play.
Fulltime from Kippax, NSW U20s defeat Sydney Uni 22-19. Great first trial for the boys regardless. Bring on 2016!

Joining the Blog Article and The Corporations twitter reports together I get this detail (does it really matter?)
NSW U20: 22 (Afu, Maddocks, Loga-Tarogi, A.N. Other Tries, O’Shea (?) Con) defeated
Uni:19 (Williams, Argiris, Whitely Tries, Roberts 2 Cons)

I never really understand why they take conversions during trials (although it does give the fatties a chance to hydrate and catch their breath!)

Twitter Game Report from Wagga Wagga (Uni vs Vic U20)
Yassmin opens the scoring with a great try for the Students in the corner. Kagiassis unsuccessful with conversion. @SUFC1863 up 5-0.
Yassmin for the double!! This time scoring under the posts. Kagiassis converts to extend an early lead. 12-0 over VIC U20s.
Quarter time in this trial against VIC U20s and Students lead 12-5 #countryrugby #upthestudents
McCalman for a try to the Students. Kagiassis just misses from the sideline. @SUFC1863 in front 17-5 with just over 10 mins until halftime.
Tanginoa with a great try in the corner. Kagiassis slots the conversion beautifully extending the Students lead to 24-5.
Halftime. Students still in the lead in the trial in Wagga against VIC U20s. 24-5.
Calum Bucking over for the first points of the second half. Kagiassis unable to add the extras. Students in front 29-5.
The end of the 3rd Quarter and @SUFC1863 are in front 29-5. Tough work in the heat of the country, but very entertaining!
Fulltime in our trial against @MelbourneRebels U20s and the Students defeat the Victorians 29-5. A stunning rugby day in Wagga Wagga!
Uni: 29 (Yassmin (2), McCalman, Tanginoa, Buckling, Tries, Kagiassis 2 Con) defeated
Vic U20: 5 (A.N. Other Try)

Looks like it would have been a fairly tough day for the players in Wagga Wagga, with shade at a premium.
CboILr4UsAE88QX.jpg

Pic: @SUFC1863 Twitter

CboKuVEUUAI-vrE.jpg

Pic: @SUFC1863 Twitter

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I know the games are not being televised but does anyone know if Qld or NSW will be streaming the u20's game this weekend??

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NSW Gen Blue u20 Team Finalised to take on the Qld u20 this weekend.
http://www.rugbynews.net.au/nsw-gen-blue-finalise-squad-for-inaugural-super-20s-tournament/
37 Men named (14 Schoolies) however it looks like there are only 23 players pictured in the photo. Are they the matchday 23??

NSW Gen Blue final squad for Super 20's tournament
Sione Afu, Lachlan Burland, Harry Chapman, Tim Clements, Ed Craig, Nick Champion De Crespeny, Sean Dillon, Dan England, Vunipola Fifita, Max Girdler, Siaosi Halifonua, Jack Hayson, Harry Johnson Holmes, Tom Horton, Henry Hutchison, Simon Kennewell, Latu Latinipulu, Jordan Lotanui, Jack Maddocks, Sama Malolo, Ryan McCauley, Will McDonnell, Tom Molloy, Declan Moore, Connor O'Shea, James Pelowski, Tom Piroddi, Guy Porter, Ted Pye, Charlie Smith, Theo Strang, Lachlan Swinton, Sam Tabuatamata, Sepesa Loga Tarogi, Andrew Vatuvei, Ned Yeomans.

Interesting to see Hutchison and Kennewell from the Sevens Programme in the NSW Squad, and there are a couple of the lads in the NSW Gen Blue final squad that were spotted by @Lee Grant in Enemy Clothing at the trial against Sydney Uni.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
<snip> Interesting to see Hutchison and Kennewell from the Sevens Programme in the NSW Squad, and there were a couple of the lads in the NSW Gen Blue final squad that were spotted by @Lee Grant in Enemy Clothing at the trial against Sydney Uni.

Yeah I did not think 7's would have allowed Hutchinson to play 15's. He has really excelled at 7's and looks the goods. It would be a shame if he did play 15's and got injured. I would be wrapping him in cotton wool. It may just be a hopeful gesture of his return to 7's though. Interestingly none of the teams have named their match day 23.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I know the games are not being televised but does anyone know if Qld or NSW will be streaming the u20's game this weekend??

If it is at Kippax, then it is pretty unlikely that there will be any streaming.

From memory there is no real infrastructure there to mount any cameras/tripods on unless a temporary arrangement is used, or someone stands on the back of a ute and operates a smallish device.

Unlikely that NSW Rugby has enough money in the kitty to hire decent scaffolding arrangements (or TV Crew like the mob who did the NRC and Shute Shield) to put up a decent stream for remote viewing.

The best images will probably come from @Lee Grant's camera.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
The media release definitely states Allianz Stadium for both the u20's and S18 games NSW vs Qld

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Depending where you look on the NSW Rugby website it's venue - TBC and time 5:15pm or venue - Allianz and time - TBC.

The SCG website doesn't even list the game and lists gates opening at 6pm.

So to summarise, where or when it's is anybody's guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.