• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bust The Line

Bob McCowan (2)
Another of the flyhalf's in this age group, Dave Smerdon (NSW Schools 2014) also withdrew from the initial squad selected due to a planned off season shoulder reconstruction.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Rumour has it that MSW have lost so many 10's that Tim Rapp had put a call through to see if Steven Bradbury was from the "Born in or before 1996" age group.

Any more recent news from the Vics U20's? I seem to recall @Uncle Joe posting that there was a trial planned between the Vics & the Brumbies U20's last weekend.

The Brumbies u20s had a hit out against Gungahlin Eagles. They got up 5 tries to 4. I believe they are playing the rebels in a trial at Albury on the weekend. This will be a better measure of form than the game V Tasmania for the Vics.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Another of the flyhalf's in this age group, Dave Smerdon (NSW Schools 2014) also withdrew from the initial squad selected due to a planned off season shoulder reconstruction.

Hope his shoulder mends in time for this year. Will he be having a run with the Highlanders colts or grade this year?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Here's the draw
Capture.JPG

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Presumably the final would be on 2 April:

The Australian Rugby Union today announced that for the first time there would be a regular weekly U20s competition with all five Australian Super Rugby teams competing for the Super U20s Championship in 2016.​
Kicking off on Saturday 27 February, the six-week competition will see each side play each other across the country, with a final between the top two ranked teams to decide the inaugural Super U20s champion.​
The five teams competing will be Queensland U20s, NSW Gen Blue U20s, Brumbies Colts (U20s), Melbourne Rebels U20s and the Western Force U20s.​
The competition replaces the former Australian U20s Championship and will be the breeding ground for the BMW Australian U20s side, as well as showcasing the next generation of Australian Super Rugby stars coming through the ranks.​
... read more

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
For the Oceania Under 20s, it seems the Division II competition for 2015 went ahead after all. It had previously been announced as postponed for the year.

Called the "Oceania Rugby Junior Trophy", teams from Fiji, Tonga, PNG and Vanuatu played off in December. I believe it was scheduled to decide the Oceania region's berth in the World Junior Trophy.

Fiji won the tournament to qualify alongside Samoa who got an automatic position after being relegated from the Junior World Championship.

http://www.oceaniarugby.com/pageitem.aspx?id=104742&id2=1&eID=66726&entityID=66726

1OC1bhy.jpg

Division I, for early May 2016, is the "Oceania Rugby Junior Championship"

The so-called division II is the "Trophy", I think, matching the nomenclature used by World Rugby

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
As mentioned earlier in the thread and indicated in the blog - there are only two teams in Div I = Aus and NZ.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is this going to be the thread for the Super 20s? Ive been working with the Force team for this comp, some real talents in there.

Yes. This thread should discuss anything and everything U20 related, up to and including the 2016 Junior World Cup (or whatever is the name this year) including trials for state teams, overseas teams, the Oceania tournament etc.

Based on past seasons, there would be insufficient banter to warrant a separate thread just for the Super 20's competition.

Bust The Line

Bob McCowan (2)
Hope his shoulder mends in time for this year. Will he be having a run with the Highlanders colts or grade this year?
I understand that Dave Smerdon has moved from Gordon to Warringah to join some ex Barker College mates there including Tyson Davis and Harry Jones. I think that he plans to play grade in 2016. Not sure when he will resume playing but I did hear that he has been at pre-season trainings.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Taniela Tupou will be available for QLD U20's, Reds FB account alluded that the matches would be streamed.
Thor played last weekend for the QLD u 20 against West Prem's and ran riot with the defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Yep I imagine he would carry his form over from QPR, there were a few questions over whether he would be playing since he isn't eligible for Aus U20's(hasn't qualified yet), but it's good to see him selected. This series isn't just about providing players to the JWC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some reposts from another thread that deserve some oxygen on this thread:
Anyone got any info on the Brumbies U20s v Rebels U20s game? Did it happen?

Sure did mate. Rebels won out in the end.

I wasn't there, but my sources tell me it was a quality game with the Brumbies having the upper hand in the set piece. Scrums were apparently a solid attacking weapon for the Brumbs.

Rebels counter attack and backline proved the difference, although they did pick up a couple of injuries to some of their guys. It's great for these games to be brought out to the regional centres.

Sorry I don't have any mail on individual performances, I'll be there for the Rebels v Uni hitout this weekend and will update the Rebels thread on how I see that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.