• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
The NSW Gen Blue U20s team to take on the Queensland U20s is below. The match will kick-off at 4:15pm tomorrow, Saturday 27th February on Kippax Oval (located between Kippax Lake and Anzac Parade), Moore Park ahead of the NSW Waratahs round one Super Rugby clash against the Queensland Reds.

NSW U 20s

1 Vunipola Fifita
2 Declan Moore
3 Harry Johnson Holmes
4 Ryan McCauley
5 Tom Piroddi
6 Nick de Crespigny
7 Jack Hayson
8 Max Girdler
9 Theo Strang
10 Tom Molloy
11 Sam Tabuatamata
12 Ned Yeomans
13 Latu Latinipulu
14 Guy Porter
15 Jack Maddocks

Reserves:
16 Tom Horton
17 Harry Chapman
18 Sean Dillon
19 Lachlan Swinton
20 Charlie Smith
21 Harrison Goddard
22 Sione Afu
23 James Pelowski

11 of the 23 are 2015 schoolies including both scrumhalves, three of the starting tight five and all the reserve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pretty sure 18. Dillon, 22. Afu, and 23 Pelowski played colts in 2015 and would be considered graduates of the Class of 2014 (turning 20 this year)

Other "Turning 20" this year are:
1. Fifita
2. Moore
6. Champion de Crispigny
7. Hayson
10. Molloy
11. Tabuatamata
12. Yeomans
13. Latinipulu
15. Maddocks

14. Porter is from "Class of 2014" but was young for his year and will be tuning 19 this year.

Bit more tricky to do the same for the Reds U20's because many of them finish school as 17 year olds, so they have young men turning 19 this year who have been toughened up with one year of Premier Club or Premier Colts rugby. This gives lads of the same age a big advantage.

IMHO the big difference is not the age of the fellow, but the time that they have had in post Schoolboy rugby environment.

Johns

Stan Wickham (3)
^^^^^

Maddocks was in the same age group as Porter at Scots, he turns 19 this year as well.

Did anyone here watch the game? Who went well from both sides? That QLD team looks strong on paper, not surprised they came away with it.

GPS Fantastic

Frank Nicholson (4)
IMHO the big difference is not the age of the fellow, but the time that they have had in post Schoolboy rugby environment.[/quote]

Thanks HJ, this was what I was alluding to - comparison of post Schoolboy rugby experience between the two teams from yesterday's game

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Can anyone give some sort of indication of how many 19 yr olds v 18 yr olds were in the NSW and QLD teams yesterday?
More relevant I would think is who has another year in u20 (born 1996 or 1997 and later) 97 or later will still be eligible next year and with NSW having so many young players or school leavers puts them in a good position for next year. Qld I think will only have a few left over, J Ngamanu, S Edwards, L McNamara, H Nucifora, D Riley, H Hoopert, H Hocking and T Tualima. Rehab players out for this season of note and still eligible next year I Perese, R Hewat, G Luka and L Mosely.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
When I said that 11 of the 23 are 2015 schoolies I meant these guys, but I can't count - there are only ten.

3 Harry Johnson-Holmes
4 Ryan McCauley
5 Tom Piroddi
8 Max Girdler
9 Theo Strang
16 Tom Horton
17 Harry Chapman
19 Lachlan Swinton
20 Charlie Smith
21 Harrison Goddard

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any thoughts on the NSW v QLD game from those that were able to go and watch?
Whilst the grounds were central, it was not the best, with little room for spectators and the bench sitting looking directly into the sun with their hand over their faces. The game started at a good pace and I think catching the Qld team a little off guard with a few handling errors resulting in a penalty. Once things settled down the Qld team dominated up front and the NSW defended well but once Qld got the upper hand and played a more relaxed game they gained and kept the upper hand. A few big runs by Tupou kept the Qld team over the advantage line. NSW HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) gave away a few penalties at crucial time close to the Qld line resulting in NSW losing ground and attacking advantage. Stand outs were
NSW
Maddocks (3), Strang (1) and Charlie Smith (2) when he came on (real little goer).
QLD
Tupou (3), Mason (2), Fittock (1).

T

TOCC

HJ disappointing the they didn't mention the other players, but if Tupou wasn't playing would the Daily Telegraph have published an article at all..

Reds should send all their senior squad U20 players to the U20's squad and quarantine them there under Gilmore and away from RG.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Apparently there was only one bloke playing for Queensland U20's yesterday, according to this report from Pando of the Daily Terrograph. NSW didn't seem to have all that many players involved in the match either.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/90f406b6e00afb521aa8b7961b590521
The one man Qld team haha and to be honest he was a little subdued in this game compared to a trial game against West Bulldogs at Ballymore.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
HJ disappointing the they didn't mention the other players, but if Tupou wasn't playing would the Daily Telegraph have published an article at all..

Reds should send all their senior squad U20 players to the U20's squad and quarantine them there under Gilmore and away from RG.

Good point TOCC, the fact that Magnay was named in the u20 team and then pulled out by RG to sit behind the bench as #24 for the Reds to me is wrong, I'm sure the young guy would enjoy at least playing a game with the u20's, how is he going to develop when he has no game time? A waste of good young talent.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep. I agree with you @TOCC. Yesterdays game is the first game in 3 years of U20 competition that has had any media coverage whatsoever beyond the journo simply rehashing the Press Release from HQ ARU, and even that hasn't happened too often.

ARU need to learn how to properly leverage off the larger then life players like Taniela Tupou, The Honey Badger, QC (Quade Cooper), The Fire Kellaway, Will Skelton et al (regardless of how good or bad a player they may be) to gain column inches.

Media coverage leads to bums on seats, sponsors etc.

As Oscar Wilde once said, "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about".

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
Has the streamed game been saved anywhere for later for viewing on demand? Thought it might be on he Waratah's website or YouTube, but I can't find it...

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Good point TOCC, the fact that Magnay was named in the u20 team and then pulled out by RG to sit behind the bench as #24 for the Reds to me is wrong, I'm sure the young guy would enjoy at least playing a game with the u20's, how is he going to develop when he has no game time? A waste of good young talent.

HTC. I agree re Magnay. Why withdraw him and then not even get him to suit up. I think he can play but all he seems to do is train and then get put in cotton wool by the Reds. Am happy to be corrected but I think he has only started one (maybe 2) QPR game for Jeeps and has not yet played a Q20's game.

Any idea who ran on in #13. Did not get to see the livestream (assuming there was one)

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
HTC. I agree re Magnay. Why withdraw him and then not even get him to suit up. I think he can play but all he seems to do is train and then get put in cotton wool by the Reds. Am happy to be corrected but I think he has only started one (maybe 2) QPR game for Jeeps and has not yet played a Q20's game.

Any idea who ran on in #13. Did not get to see the livestream (assuming there was one)
Liam Jurd joined the team as replacement for Magnay and played most of the game at 13 and played well, the whole bench came on with 7 to go where Riley replaced Jurd. A really good result for the first game but I do think we will see better results and play from the boys in the up coming rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.