• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
So unless something fairly unusual happens in the games next week, its looking like it will be a QLD v Vic final for the Curtain Raiser Cup.

Well, HJ, something fairly unusual happened!!

The perfect storm for NSW. Brumbies def Rebels by a lot of points, and Rebels got no bonus points. Waratah's def Western Force with a four try bonus point, winning by 5 points, and so scraped through to the final by 2 points differential. Wow.

From Reds website
The Queensland Under-20s have secured a clean sweep of their Super U20s Championship rivals, defeating the Brumbies Colts 34-20 in their fourth and final regular-season match of the tournament.

The Queensland Under-20s will now host the inaugural Super U20s Championship final at home at Ballymore, on Sunday 3 April [at 2pm].

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
It will need a major turnaround in fortune of somewhat majestic proportions for Gen Blue to be competitive with the Red Peril. Great that NSW made the final, but their scorelines have not exactly screamed out "Champion Material".

Any idea when the Aust U20 squad is being announced?

Anyone prepared to post a strawman Aust U20 team?
Would love to help HJ so only saw Reds and Rebels v NSW games but assume both Reds and Rebels will be well represented in the mix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
It will need a major turnaround in fortune of somewhat majestic proportions for Gen Blue to be competitive with the Red Peril. Great that NSW made the final, but their scorelines have not exactly screamed out "Champion Material".

Any idea when the Aust U20 squad is being announced?

Anyone prepared to post a strawman Aust U20 team?
Ummm most of the Qld team with a few others here and there, but seriously the Qld back line could maybe be complemented by one or two and maybe another good lock. It is very difficult to judge when you have not actually seen many of the teams playing.

Bismarck

Herbert Moran (7)
From NSW, I would say Jack Maddocks is a contender, the fly halves would have given it a shake but for injuries. I think the forwards might be better next year. Ryan McCauley might be a shot.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
Sloppy conditions but would agree that NSW take the underdog position, they will either come 1st or 2nd..

Can this be right?

4a22237a9d4537f8940373c0545e607d.jpg

Bismarck

Herbert Moran (7)
Funny old rule - two teams equal on points. One team then has a better points differential (only just) but because the other team beat NSW, they progress to GF? Time for the Appeals court.....

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
Funny old rule - two teams equal on points. One team then has a better points differential (only just) but because the other team beat NSW, they progress to GF? Time for the Appeals court...

Un. Be. Lievable. They'll be clearly second on the leader table based on the scoring criteria.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Would love to help HJ so only saw Reds and Rebels v NSW games but assume both Reds and Rebels will be well represented in the mix

I'd say that Rebels may be under represented based on their game against the Ponies.

Numbers wise, I reckon 1/2 the team will be QLD, with equal Rebels, Ponies and NSW representation and maybe one or two from WA.

Putting names against those numbers will be the challenge.

Also will injured be considered (assuming that they will be out of Team Rehab by the time of the JRWC) and what of the likes of Kennewell and Hutchison who are in the 7's programme. Wilkin was released from 7's last year for the Tournament.

History suggests that the Super Rugby contracted players would be odds on. Those who played NRC in 2016 would be favoured. Those regularly playing grade footy would be considered over an equivalent player who is a colts level player. There will be at least two players who will be selected but who miss out due to Hugh's Law (they join Team Rehab). There will be general agreement on at least 20 of the 28 man squad. There will be at least two selection that will raise eyebrows. Subsequently one of the eyebrow raisers will prove their worth, but one will remain subject to the "curse of the eyebrow raise" after the tournament.

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
NSW were the author of their own destiny. Should have played better but didn't.

But how can it be that the second team on the leader table doesn't go through to the final?

The best possible result was achieved this week with brumbies winning, no points for the Rebels, and Tahs winning with bonus point.

Who cares if they beat NSW or not. 3 teams won 2 and lost 2. NSW are ahead on the table. How can it be just or fair that they aren't then in the final?

Why were the rebels not confirmed last weekend then, if nothing would change the result this weekend?!!

Appeal required indeed. We was robbed....

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
But how can it be that the second team on the leader table doesn't go through to the final?

The best possible result was achieved this week with brumbies winning, no points for the Rebels, and Tahs winning with bonus point.

Who cares if they beat NSW or not. 3 teams won 2 and lost 2. NSW are ahead on the table. How can it be just or fair that they aren't then in the final?

Why were the rebels not confirmed last weekend then, if nothing would change the result this weekend?!!

Appeal required indeed. We was robbed..
Agree, whats the point of a a points table if that's the rule. So the team that finished third makes the final after being beaten by the team that finished fourth by 20 odd points. Very strange

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
So it was a dead rubber.far more exciting when your keeping one eye on bonus points, margin and results to see who gets through..

No. This is treating the fans like idiots. Why not just say this was a dead rubber last week?

Pretty pissed about this outcome. It's playing with emotions and not being honest.

I hope the leadership table will accurately reflect the competition results, and show that the final is between the first and third placed teams ... Very unhappy with this farce... :(

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Grasping at straws. Qld will be hotter favourites than the Lions were against Christians in Ancient Rome, regardless of their opponent.

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
Grasping at straws. Qld will be hotter favourites than the Lions were against Christians in Ancient Rome, regardless of their opponent.

Grasping at due process, actually. I've never heard of this happening in any competition I've been involved with before - and there have been many.

Where is this rule located?

Status
Not open for further replies.