• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Go back further than October: what meaningful school level competitions do we have to correctly identify, retain, and nurture talent from that level onwards? Ones that involve more than a handful of competitive schools on a regular basis, I mean.

We bemoan the skill level and hardness we don't have comparison to our Tasman neighbours, but fail to learn the lessons they lay out in front of us, again and again.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We've added the Junior Gold Cup and other things (this is in no way an area I know much about).

The situation is much better than it has been in the past and the ARU has contributed more resources and a more hands on approach to the problem.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It should also be noted that changes take several years to flow through.

An improved situation for 15 year olds doesn't help the 20 year old team now.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Going further back from October and the Born in 1996 cohort were all playing in an 18 round colts or Grade competition, with some of them getting time in NRC.

Some lads bypassed some previously decorated Schoolboys in the pecking order through that process.

Yes we need to get more players at more schools involved. The ARU have signaled an intention to do that, but there is years of neglect to undo before much fruit will be born from this approach.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Watching the England game this morning I was impressed by the speed and mobility of their back row. With a more substantial front 5 this year and some size at number 8 we have to select speed at 6 and 7. Where is the next Pocock or Hooper? Without speed to the breakdown we will be surrendering possession or giving away numerous penalties for holding on.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
NZ played a dominant 50 odd minutes against Georgia and then the final 25 or so was pretty competitive. Georgia's defence was a lot better and our attack was forced to go far too lateral.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Whirled Rugby view the U20 World Champs as a game showpiece and use the occasion to reinforce the current focus points and messages that they are trying to get across to the Rugby Communuty.

Last year it was lifting tackles, and the inability to adopt to the new rulings probably cost the Saffers the World Cup as the were on the receiving end of quite a few YC for those including losing their Captain and one other within the space of a couple of minutes in a key knockout game.

This year, it is no secret that player safety around players in the air and neck rolls are a key area for referee focus. Any Coach that is teaching any practice that resembles a neck roll at training and hasn't adapted the clean out techniques they teach or condone from their players deserves the reward they will receive from the match officials and judiciary.

These young men are either professional athletes or aspiring professional athletes. It ain't schoolboy footy anymore.

Shame they don't also focus on the referees' performances. Ref in this game didn't seem to have a good knowledge of the laws of the game, while the ref in the England/Italy game had no positive influence at all on the breakdown area where players were lying all over the ball or ball carrier the whole game.

Our ref also couldn't or wouldn't see that in many (most) cases the tackled player was not released by the tackler before the latter searched for the ball. Not saying the result was influenced because it went both ways. But one ruling caught my eye. After a penalty awarded to Aus from a scrum, the No 9 (Tuttle) deliberately dropped the ball to cancel advantage and then took an immediate tap kick to play on. Ref called him back saying that a quick tap can't be taken after deliberately knocking on. Is this correct? Never seen it adjudicated lkie that in any game beforehand.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I must admit that I only saw the last 10 min (1st half) and all the second. However, it seemed like our ball was not as clean as theirs, their clean-out seemed better than ours. I wasn't necessarily watching the the penalties; mainly looking at the speed of delivery to the 10.

Thought the tight 5 did well and liked the 9 (mom for Australia I thought), didn't mind the #10 and the wingers. But as a unit it didn't work so well and the options taken did not pay dividends.

Can't have Tuttle anywhere near MOM. In the second half, for probably 15 - 20 minutes, he was nowhere near the ball. Very slow to the breakdown, and mostly not getting there at all. Looked to be injured in the first half, but if so, should have been replaced. Not a good game by any measure.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's like saying we should have open trials for each Super Rugby squad.

It's not a reality.

The situation now with the franchise based squads playing a tournament over a month or so is a better situation than we have ever had before.

Talent identification seems to be better overall at each level than it has been in the past. It is not like there are a whole bunch of players that those in the know have never heard of emerging from nowhere.

The Super Rugby based U20s games are good, and an improvement on previous years, but doesn't offer sufficient evidence imo to allow the best players and team to be really identified. A home and away competition would be a better guide I think.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
French Scrummies try to pull that one all the time (Cusiter did too, cheeky bugger), no surprise he pulled them up for that.

Every big decision was correctly made by the TMO though. Both Cards and both our tries went up to him.

Was just the on field stuff, like Fraser being 7 or 8 metres offside from Robbins kick, Fifita's continued desire to be perpendicular at scrum time and a lot of breakdown stuff both ways he was poor in.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^^^^^^ I like most of your post HL, especially the note about the off side runner who forced the forced ball behind the tryline. He was at least 10 m in front of the winger when he kicked that ball. Shocking piece of officiating.

However, I disagree about Fefita. I think if you watch closely, he was following Zampa in on those occasions as he had nowhere else to go. To my eye, Zampa was the first culprit, and actually used it as a tactic to counter the dominant Aussie scrum.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So who was your MOM for Aussie @Brumby Runner?

A reviewer for Talking Rugby Union (Lewis Hughes) liked Rodda and Kennewell putting them in their Team of the Day, and included Jack Maddocks in their Standout Performers of the day.
http://www.talkingrugbyunion.co.uk/...ionship-match-day-1-aj-bell-stadium/15586.htm

No-one actually stood out in my view. The second row was strong, Rodda in open play and McCauly at the lineout, and they were clearly contributing to a dominant scrum. The front row also played strong. Both wingers were pretty good, Kennewell the pick I thought and Maddocks was again very involved and had many good moments.

On the other hand, I thought Scott-Young was very disappointing, Tuttle should have left the ground at half time, and the backline looked like they'd never trained together.

EDIT : The replacement No 8 also had some good touches.

On balance, I'd give MOM to Rodda.

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
However, I disagree about Fefita. I think if you watch closely, he was following Zampa in on those occasions as he had nowhere else to go. To my eye, Zampa was the first culprit, and actually used it as a tactic to counter the dominant Aussie scrum.
I thought it looked like he was pulling Fifita down with his right arm. Actually illegal to have your binding arm's elbow even pointing toward the ground, let alone pulling down.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Looked that way to me too but in any case it was Zampa who turned in first and most obviously. Finished on the ground under the Aussie hooker on occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.