• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am fairly confident that the Super Rugby Curtain Raiser Cup will only be 1 round, then a possible final. While the Super Rugby Teams will play home and away, the U20's will only be playing the Curtain Raiser Cup games on the first meeting between the parent Super Rugby Teams.

After the Aust U20 squad is announced, the lads (including the Shadow selections) will probably revert to Club footy (Prem Colts or Grade as the case may be) for the rest of the regular season.

The Aust U20 selections will probably make occasional guest appearances in Clubland when they are not required for National Duties (around the Oceania Tournament and any other trials and camps).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It's also possible that everyone at the ARU went on holidays and couldn't be bothered with the press release.

It's not the case. The ARU media guy asked me to delay my blog until the official launch of Super Rugby proper with a view to making a bigger impact.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks - the dates I used in the blog before Xmas were from an U20 schedule I got from the Tahs months ago and is obviously outdated.

Eyes and Ears has given me more details:

SUNDAY, 7TH. FEBRUARYJohn Dwyer Oval, Burraneer11.00am Waratahs U20 v. NSW Country U20 v. Waratahs U19 (3 way)

SATURDAY, 13TH. FEBRUARYBus loop, Moore Park1.00pm (TBC)
Waratahs U20 v. Randwick

FRIDAY, 19th. FEBRUARYBus Loop, Moore Park5.30pm
Waratahs U20 v. Sydney University

Thank you both.

I have changed the old blog in case somebody uses it as a reference.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It was "TBC" but they're only a couple of hundred metres away from each other; so if they aren't at one then you will be able to see them at the other if you look between a few trees.

The Bus Loop is where the buses turn around (doh) in Driver Avenue and is behind the Ladies Stand of the SCG. It has Aussie Rules posts and will have temporary rugby posts if a game is on.

Fairfax Field has permanent rugby posts, is about 200 metres to the north-west, and its surrounds are used as a car park when Super Rugby is on.

Go to the duck pond with some bread and feed the ducks with the SCG / Allianz behind you - the Bus Loop is on your left and Fairfax Field on your right, further west and slightly higher. You will be able to see which place the game is on from there.

Watch out for the male black swan if he is present. He was there with his missus attempting to build a nest in the middle of the pond the other day and when I photographed them he swam over 50 metres and quacked me.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
As an outside back he'll stand a better chance with the ponies. Qld u20 will be hard to crack this year with the u20's talent in the Reds squad and the u20 training squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
While we're discussing Banana Benders in other sides, while Harley Fox hasn't been named in the Vic U20, it's hard to see him not playing in the side, given the tough job breaking into the main rebels squad.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^

It will be interesting to see if Harley has lost some weight because he had a lot of fat around his waist in his last year of school though he played decently for Aus Schools despite it.

Someone forwarded some photos of the U20 nationals last and he was still overweight, which is not a good look for a young no.8.

He's a skilful player but let's hope he has slimmed down.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Think they tried Fox as a no.2 i think but changed back to 8. Will have to do a good job to stay ahead of youngster Leota in the pecking order

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>
He's a skilful player but let's hope he has slimmed down.
Most young men are under pressure from their Coaches to put on weight once they leave school!:)

Interesting comment about trying Fox at Hooker.

School footy is played under the Under 19 Law variations, which do not reward technical scrummaging ability in the same way "normal" rugby does. Many School coaches therefore play forward packs consisting of 5 or more players in the loose forward role, with most players believing that they are a loosie.

Come Colts footy, and there is huge competition for the more glamourous loose forward positions and (relatively speaking) not a lot of players putting their hand up for the front row positions. Many of those that do are the more chunky lads who are more acquainted with the produce of the local patisserie than the layout of their clubs gymnasium.

Where to put the surplus of loose forwards? Try them out at #2.

There has been plenty of success stories of Schoolboy loose forwards converting to the Cauliflower Club post school. Sekope Kepu and TPN spring to mind immediately, with both playing for their National Schoolboys teams as Loose Forwards.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Think they tried Fox as a no.2 i think but changed back to 8. Will have to do a good job to stay ahead of youngster Leota in the pecking order

I rate the aggressive Leota highly but he was at school last year and may be at an age disadvantage to older lads, though he is massive for his age. He was not so dominant at the Oz School Champs in 2015 as the year before because of injury but he is made of the right stuff alright.

Watch this space on R. Leota.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
As an outside back he'll stand a better chance with the ponies. Qld u20 will be hard to crack this year with the u20's talent in the Reds squad and the u20 training squad.

The Reds U20s will be a strong team and I would favour them to win the comp.

The Tahs U20s are training well under top coaching and will be as fit as trouts but they don't have any real stars in their galaxy as they have had in the past couple of years, especially with Hutchison devoted to 7s. McCauley just left school, and Lukhan T gone north.

You never know though - the Tahs seem to have more players in their U20 year identified from from Colts than ever, and that could twist the Rubik cube to their advantage (or not).

Next year will be another matter because some recent schoolies are training above their their age.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Y
The Reds U20 will be a very strong team and I would favour them to win the comp.

The Tahs U20s are training well under top coaching and will be as fit as trouts but they don't have any real stars in their galaxy as they have had in the past couple of years, especially with Hutchison devoted to 7s. McCauley just left school, and Lukhan T gone north.

You never know though - the Tahs seem to have more players in their U20 year identified from from Colts, than ever, and that could twist the Rubik cube to their advantage more than it does on paper.

Next year will be another matter because some recent schoolies are training above their their age.
Yeah NSW do have a few (21) schoolies training in the team at the moment where QLD only have 11 and only 5 being fwd's. This year should be a QLD year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
anyone want to come up with some educated guesses as to match day squads for the state teams?

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
anyone want to come up with some educated guesses as to match day squads for the state teams?
It would be a Big guess and no where near educated as the teams are still rather large (NSW-64, WA-41 & QLD rumored to have 45/55 as they have not yet named their training squad) I think give it a week and we may see the teams reduce to around 25-30 and then we'll know which way the coaches may be thinking. However the ACT and VIC with smaller numbers (34 & 32 respectfully) may be able to comment.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I’ll have a lash at the NSW & QLD 23 to get the ball rolling (some to be omitted). I don't know the background of the Rebels, Force and Ponies squads well enough to throw up a strawman squad of 23 for them.

NSW
Props
V Fifita
H Johnson-Holmes
J Latoaniu
F Brown (if fit)

Hookers
E Craig
D Moore

Locks
R McCauley
T Piroddi
J Margin
S Dillon

Flankers
J Hayson
S Halaifonua
J Woodhill

No8
J Lough (c)
N De Crespeny

halfback
T Strang/T Pye
H Goddard

Five Eighth
J Maddocks
J Clancy

Centres
S Tabuatamata
D England
N Yeomans

Wings
T Molloy
L Latinipulu

Fullback
G Porter

Hutchison & Kennewell on 7’s duties.

QLD (Assumption that the Reds will release their contracted players)
Props
S Vui
R Aisata
G Luka
H Hoopert

Hooker
A Mafi

Locks
L Lealaiaulotu-Tui
I Rodda
A Scott-Young

Flankers
M Jones
T Tualima
K Meni
C Moroney

No 8
R Hewatt
J Fa’anana-Schultz

Halfback
J Tuttle (c)
M Sorevi

Five Eighth
M Mason
A Horan

Centres
I Perese
C Magnay

Wing
J Fittock
S Edwards

Fullback
F Dorrough
J Ngamanu

After a couple of lean years, QLD look to have the Big Game players to win this year, assuming that Reds release their contracted players, and all remain injury free.

If things pan out as expected, and NSW and QLD are the two dominant teams, it is a bit of a shame that they meet in the first round of the Super Rugby Curtain Raiser Cup before their combinations and cohesion is as developed as it will be after a few games. Trial games and training sessions can only go so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.