• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So unless something fairly unusual happens in the games next week, its looking like it will be a QLD v Vic final for the Curtain Raiser Cup.

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
Rebels take the game 34-26. A fair result. Very physical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same result, but the core was actually 28-39.

Unless the Brumbies defeat the Rebels next week, and the Waratah's score a lot of points against the Force for a good for and against number, they can't make the final. The Rebels were good today. A bit lucky, and Waratah's a bit unlucky overall, but I think the right team won. However, the rebels essential won on the back of sloppy play and mistakes from the Tahs, so the Reds have nothing to worry about really.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Rebels actually won 39-26 with that late try to the centre. It was a deserved result - they tackled like maniacs all day with some cracking hits in defence, and Nic Henderson's done a really good job with the set piece.

Backrowers Harley Fox (6) & Ta Hosea (8) were the standouts, but the most exciting thing about the Rebels is that some of their top players are so young. Lock Robert Valetini & centre Hunter Paisami are both 17 and still at school, wing Oisin Clarken & Josh Coward are both 18 and played Australian Youth Rugby Sevens last year. Coward's tackling is poor but his attack on the ball was brilliant and he has a killer step, set up one of Clarken's tries and actually made a great try-saving tackle late in the first half.

Very exciting times for the Victorian Rugby Union, the JGC success of 2014 & 2015 is beginning to translate up the age group with the diffference being that now they are playing against a full NSW side as opposed to a pocket/region in the JGC. Can't remember the last time that an age group Vic side beat NSW.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Match photo link here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100900132@N02/albums/72157666164262725

25891028036_6f3e756295_b_d.jpg

25796250132_6869ac7f95_b_d.jpg

25796660752_1cfdb4f29b_b_d.jpg

25917545575_6c240a3a0d_b_d.jpg

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
Rebels actually won 39-26 with that late try to the centre. It was a deserved result - they tackled like maniacs all day with some cracking hits in defence, and Nic Henderson's done a really good job with the set piece.
Snip
Very exciting times for the Victorian Rugby Union, the JGC success of 2014 & 2015 is beginning to translate up the age group with the diffference being that now they are playing against a full NSW side as opposed to a pocket/region in the JGC. Can't remember the last time that an age group Vic side beat NSW.

The Rebels deserved to win, as I said above, but don't get too excited. It was due to an under performing Gen Blue side.

Waratah's got at least 4 tight heads pushing Rebel scrum over their own ball (with about 100kg less weight across the scrum by my estimation). Lineouts were ok, but a couple were overshot and one was crooked and not pinged. No steals.

The Rebels win yesterday was off the back of 2 clean intercepts by the Rebels when the Tah's were attacking in the Rebel's half. Tah's crossed the Rebel's try line at least twice (I think more) with the try denied.

Tah's coughed the ball up often. They slipped off tackles often. They dropped passes often.

Tahs also had one of their fresh reserve front rowers in the sin bin for the last 10 of the game.

Like I say - they deserved to win, and were the more enthusiastic of the two sides yesterday - but don't get too excited

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
From Reds website
The Queensland Under-20s have secured a clean sweep of their Super U20s Championship rivals, defeating the Brumbies Colts 34-20 in their fourth and final regular-season match of the tournament.

The Queensland Under-20s will now host the inaugural Super U20s Championship final at home at Ballymore, on Sunday 3 April. With one round remaining in the tournament, their opponents will be confirmed following the fifth and final round next weekend.
Flyhalf Mack Mason opened up the scoring in the first half with two early penalties to give Queensland a 6-nil lead. The Brumbies crossed for their first try in the 18th minute, the conversion was unsuccessful leaving the home-side with a 6-5 lead.

Darling Downs product Harry Hoopert performed well both in the scrum and in open play in the first half, crossing for two tries in the 24th and 26th minute. Mason continued to be successful with the boot, kicking both conversions and a further penalty to put Queensland ahead 23-5 at half-time.

Mason slotted another penalty to open up the scoring in the second half, before the Brumbies crossed for their second try, which was successfully converted, and kicked a penalty to narrow the gap to 26-15.

A further penalty from Mason in the 53 minute pushed the score to 29-15. The Brumbies weren’t done however, and crossed for a third try to narrow the gap to 29-20. A try from reserve winger Joey Fittock sealed the match for the Queensland side in the 77th minute, leaving the final score 34-20 in favour of the home side.

Head coach Jason Gilmore was happy with the result, but believes the team have work ahead of them in the two weeks leading into the final.

“We’re happy to get the result today and to claim a clean sweep of the other Australian Under-20s sides in the regular season is a great achievement for the squad,” Gilmore said.

“Despite the result today, we weren’t 100 per cent happy with the team’s effort. We need to work hard over the next two weeks to ensure we’re ready for the final.

“We’re looking forward to hosting the inaugural Super U20s final, but we know it will be a tough battle.”

Following wins over NSW Gen Blue (37-22), Western Force U20s (43-7), Melbourne Rebels U20s (39-31) and now Brumbies Colts (34-20), the Queensland Under-20s will have a bye in Round 5 of the Super U20s Championship, as their opponent for the final in two weeks time is decided.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
The Rebels deserved to win, as I said above, but don't get too excited. It was due to an under performing Gen Blue side.

Waratah's got at least 4 tight heads pushing Rebel scrum over their own ball (with about 100kg less weight across the scrum by my estimation). Lineouts were ok, but a couple were overshot and one was crocked and not pinged. No steals.

The Rebels win yesterday was off the back of 2 clean intercepts by the Rebels when the Tah's were attacking in the Rebel's half. Tah's crossed the Rebel's try line at least twice (I think more) with the try denied.

Tah's coughed the ball up often. They slipped off tackles often.

Like I say - they deserved to win, and were the more enthusiastic of the two sides yesterday - but don't get too excited

Thanks - I'll get fairly excited about the Rebels beating the Tahs when they're probably working off a base of less than 250 kids who are even eligible for the U20s team, and therefore having to select schoolboys.

And yes, they thoroughly deserved to win. The number of bone crunching hits on the Tahs would have been in double figures, and they kicked far better as well as taking opportunities.

GPS Fantastic

Frank Nicholson (4)
I was unable to get to the game yesterday but just watched the tahs v rebels match on YouTube - great coverage btw - and was disappointed to see so many tahs errors (dropped ball, turnover) but scrum wins were great and so were their scoring opportunities when they managed to get some good flow on. With only 6 points in it and a minute to go, what a different outcome it could have been had that intercept not happened!!!

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Thanks - I'll get fairly excited about the Rebels beating the Tahs when they're probably working off a base of less than 250 kids who are even eligible for the U20s team, and therefore having to select schoolboys.

And yes, they thoroughly deserved to win. The number of bone crunching hits on the Tahs would have been in double figures, and they kicked far better as well as taking opportunities.
You should be excited. The Waratahs didn't play their best because they weren't allowed to. The Rebels line speed and structure in defence was outstanding and some of the hits were nothing short of brutal. The intercepts weren't bad luck, they were the result of good pressure. The ability to take advantage of you chances was reflected in the score.If you can get the scrums in order, I don't doubt you can go all the way. Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RR2014

Bob McCowan (2)
I agree with what Silverado has commented above. The Rebels did shut them down from where I was watching. The Tah's 15 was moved to 10 in the 2nd Half to change the way they were playing and it sort of helped, or was it because Coward was showing him up at 15?
The Tah's scrum changed when replacements were made and the 14 was good for them but too many risks taken and execution could have been better.
The Rebels 5 and 6 were good, and 12 and 13 were well teamed to knock down those running backs.
I have to agree with the comments made prior in this forum and the commentator on BarTV that Coward was a standout across the 2 teams.
If the Rebels get through this week after the Brumbies game the Reds have 2 weeks off and will be ready for them. The coach has prepared the Reds well and will be ready for the Rebels and will be great to go and watch them live on the 3rd April at Ballymore no matter who they play. We need one Reds side to be successful this year as I will have to wait until 2017 to get some of these U20's players through now.

Status
Not open for further replies.