• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

IV The Win

Peter Burge (5)
You may or may not be correct. I may have in fact tried to change my writing to fit the forum better than my old self, continually ranting on about the little things. This year i am here to just talk about crews and only crews. So I'm hanging up the zootie and waiting for the action to get under way.

Ill still be watching this thread closely, so be careful what you say ;). I wish all the rowers currently training well especially Joeys as everyone knows i have a soft side for them, (and no not because they are cerise and blue). Train hard, eat well, sleep well and of course study well.

Yours sincerely SW
It's those little sentences you think are offhand that clearly give away your identity. Obviously you are not LBA, just from what you have told us you rowed from 2015-2016 in either Joeys or Shore. I'm barring the fact that you ever suggested you were female due to the fact that you only talk about men's rowing, not that anyone else does but if you'd been a recent female rower it could have at least come up once.

I really thought I'd found an exceptional foe in the RowingLord, but it was all too easy. The identity game is not a game you can win with me because I have no identity. However considering that you SIRCWATCH are one of about 8 people left in the pool, and that pool also contains the RowingLord, it's not hard to see where I draw my conclusions from.

Me: 2

RowingWATCH:0

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
It's those little sentences you think are offhand that clearly give away your identity. Obviously you are not LBA, just from what you have told us you rowed from 2015-2016 in either Joeys or Shore. I'm barring the fact that you ever suggested you were female due to the fact that you only talk about men's rowing, not that anyone else does but if you'd been a recent female rower it could have at least come up once.

I really thought I'd found an exceptional foe in the RowingLord, but it was all too easy. The identity game is not a game you can win with me because I have no identity. However considering that you SIRCWATCH are one of about 8 people left in the pool, and that pool also contains the RowingLord, it's not hard to see where I draw my conclusions from.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 10.08.04 am.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 10.08.04 am.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 186

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)

This forum has already uncovered your invalid background 'IV for the win'. I would suggest you have absolutely no reliability or validity and hence nobody on this forum should care what you decide to babble on about.

Just remember:

Green and Gold: 1

IV for the win: 0

L.Hudsen

Frank Nicholson (4)

Perhaps you could fulfil the objective of this forum and discuss the upcoming 2017 rowing season or any aspect of the wider rowing community. Your contributions thus far are indicative of a childish nature, perhaps you are the school boy. If you wish to solve mysteries I would suggest reading some Agatha Christie, however If you do indeed wish to contribute maybe you could enlighten me with your predictions.

Personally I would expect a year similar to 2014 with Shore winning the top 4 races and lacking the depth to complete the 6/6. Like 2014 I believe Joeys and Shore will be strong however aforementioned Riverview have the ability to cause an upset.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Perhaps you could fulfil the objective of this forum and discuss the upcoming 2017 rowing season or any aspect of the wider rowing community. Your contributions thus far are indicative of a childish nature, perhaps you are the school boy. If you wish to solve mysteries I would suggest reading some Agatha Christie, however If you do indeed wish to contribute maybe you could enlighten me with your predictions.

Personally I would expect a year similar to 2014 with Shore winning the top 4 races and lacking the depth to complete the 6/6. Like 2014 I believe Joeys and Shore will be strong however aforementioned Riverview have the ability to cause an upset.

Yes it says a lot when someone leaves the forum because they don't want to put up with any more criticism and rubbish, I'm talking about RowingLord and IV the Win in case anyone didn't know. Honestly get on with talking about rowing or just leave.

On the real topic, couldn't agree more but i wouldn't be surprised if Shore pull off another 6/6 as they will obviously have the Year 11's returning from this year and two very strong and dominant Junior VII's coming through. Last season we saw the 2015 Shore 1st Junior VIII step up into the GPS and contribute a lot along with a reasonable 2nd Junior VIII but this year theoretically would be stronger with 2 dominant Junior VIII's stepping up, thats 16 quality rowers coming into the GPS shed on top of the already high performing Year 11's.

Sort of on topic heres a video of the Shore 1st Jr VIII at the Nationals

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yes it says a lot when someone leaves the forum because they don't want to put up with any more criticism and rubbish, I'm talking about RowingLord and IV the Win in case anyone didn't know. Honestly get on with talking about rowing or just leave.

On the real topic, couldn't agree more but i wouldn't be surprised if Shore pull off another 6/6 as they will obviously have the Year 11's returning from this year and two very strong and dominant Junior VII's coming through. Last season we saw the 2015 Shore 1st Junior VIII step up into the GPS and contribute a lot along with a reasonable 2nd Junior VIII but this year theoretically would be stronger with 2 dominant Junior VIII's stepping up, thats 16 quality rowers coming into the GPS shed on top of the already high performing Year 11's.

Sort of on topic heres a video of the Shore 1st Jr VIII at the Nationals

Am holding a candle for someone to break shores clean sweep in 2017. If not the senior eight maybe someone to sneak home in the 4th four??

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

IV The Win

Peter Burge (5)
Am holding a candle for someone to break shores clean sweep in 2017. If not the senior eight maybe someone to sneak home in the 4th four??

That's the main reason I don't think Shore will clean sweep. The other schools will likely go for a 3rd IV as I believe Riverview did in 2016. I don't think Shore will have the depth to overcome it in 2017

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
That's the main reason I don't think Shore will clean sweep. The other schools will likely go for a 3rd IV as I believe Riverview did in 2016. I don't think Shore will have the depth to overcome it in 2017

That is a very good point. I believe crews giving up on higher races and contesting lower races is quite common. Its up the the AAGPS integrity unit to correct such poor shows of sportsmanship.

SIRCWATCH

Frank Nicholson (4)
That is a very good point. I believe crews giving up on higher races and contesting lower races is quite common. Its up the the AAGPS integrity unit to correct such poor shows of sportsmanship.

I don't think this will be the case the boys, parents and school wouldn't want the reputation. And why would boys want to race in a lower division. Surely they teach at the GPS schools is a little integrity so I would hope it will be displayed come this March.

As for shores clean sweep perhaps but I think everyone's looking over the pretty glaze of 2016 and needs to realise it happens very rarely and I'm sure the likes of joeys Riverview and perhaps Kings will have something to say about it, so everyone keep their eyes peeled and get ready for a bumper season.

SIRCWATCH

Frank Nicholson (4)

Senior viii? Is this the 3rd viii or the 1st viii? I believe the 3rd viii isn't a GPS crew as it doesn't have a trophy and doesn't count to the GPS point tally so shouldn't be referred to in reference to a clean sweep?

RowingAcademy

Bob McCowan (2)

To expand on your point H10, I feel very strongly about crew 'stacking'. It has been a common theme through the 2016 season seen within St Ignatius fours. St ignatius fours supposedly entering 1st IV in the 3rd IV races, further questions the View shed integrity. Speaking to many parents from Ignatius, St Josephs, and Shore spectators and students, unethical strategies became apparent. Views lack of competition in higher races is a show of poor sportsmanship.. something many student, parents and spectators should be ashamed of.

Maybe this is the only chance Iggies have at winning something..

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)

I think the AAGPS should act more as a governing body for sports, especially with rowing as it is a unique sport. Be more like the APS in Victoria and introduce penalties for un-sportsman like behaviour. For example i believe in Melbourne you are only allowed a certain amount of rowing camp days and can only have one session on weekends or something like that. The penalties can be a ban from the next regatta and the same should apply to stacking in the AAGPS its not fair on the other schools and its not fair on the boys partaking in it as they are stuck in a bottom crew that is not reflective of their ability. At the end of the day if a school stacks their crew and succeeds its a very hollow and not well deserved victory. These schools such as Riverview last season think they can get away with it as they think no one will know they are doing, but it is blatantly obvious when at the first regatta they come 5th or whatever and at the next regatta they come 2nd or even win. They will claim they will have just worked and trained hard but its not realistically possible for that crew that came 5th to come through and beat all the other crews a week later without some big changes or stacking.

IV The Win

Peter Burge (5)
I think the AAGPS should act more as a governing body for sports, especially with rowing as it is a unique sport. Be more like the APS in Victoria and introduce penalties for un-sportsman like behaviour. For example i believe in Melbourne you are only allowed a certain amount of rowing camp days and can only have one session on weekends or something like that. The penalties can be a ban from the next regatta and the same should apply to stacking in the AAGPS its not fair on the other schools and its not fair on the boys partaking in it as they are stuck in a bottom crew that is not reflective of their ability. At the end of the day if a school stacks their crew and succeeds its a very hollow and not well deserved victory. These schools such as Riverview last season think they can get away with it as they think no one will know they are doing, but it is blatantly obvious when at the first regatta they come 5th or whatever and at the next regatta they come 2nd or even win. They will claim they will have just worked and trained hard but its not realistically possible for that crew that came 5th to come through and beat all the other crews a week later without some big changes or stacking.
I'm not trying to make excuses for crew stacking, but if a clean sweep is in the works, I doubt it would be as hollow as just stacking a lower crew for the sake of winning one event. I don't think crew stacking is as simple as you say however, because a new combination could have easily been discovered and in a tight race it could have a larger effect. To be fair, excuses can be made left right and centre for sudden improvements in crews, but if one was to compare them to the higher crews then it can become blatantly obvious.

For example, and this could be wrong but I recollect the Riverview 3rd IV pulling a faster time than their 1st IV in one of the regattas leading up to HOTR.

EDIT: HOTR day, not sure if conditions changed but they beat their 1st IV by half a second and their 2nd IV by about 15

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
As the sun set fire to the bay, the sculler through it was thrown into shadow, a figure prophesying the night to come, the chorus of woods watching sang of; and sang of the blazing light dying before them on the stage of the bay, waving their limbs from side to side as they sang when the winds blew in the celestial orchestra. How the woods did sing as the light died, so dramatic an act the sculler rowed through, prophesying the end of day. How light had loved! covering all with beauty. Then a scull of a moon appeared to row through the purple sky, reflecting the sun in all its passing majesty, the moon keeping the sun from dying entirely; the moon suspending the sun just enough, until the sun could come round, again, and throw its soft, soft breath of light upon the waking bay. Philip Kepper A lovely poem, enjoy the read.

Geoff Geoff

Frank Nicholson (4)
As the sun set fire to the bay, the sculler through it was thrown into shadow, a figure prophesying the night to come, the chorus of woods watching sang of; and sang of the blazing light dying before them on the stage of the bay, waving their limbs from side to side as they sang when the winds blew in the celestial orchestra. How the woods did sing as the light died, so dramatic an act the sculler rowed through, prophesying the end of day. How light had loved! covering all with beauty. Then a scull of a moon appeared to row through the purple sky, reflecting the sun in all its passing majesty, the moon keeping the sun from dying entirely; the moon suspending the sun just enough, until the sun could come round, again, and throw its soft, soft breath of light upon the waking bay. Philip Kepper A lovely poem, enjoy the read.

a breath of fresh air :)

Geoff Geoff

Frank Nicholson (4)
To expand on your point H10, I feel very strongly about crew 'stacking'. It has been a common theme through the 2016 season seen within St Ignatius fours. St ignatius fours supposedly entering 1st IV in the 3rd IV races, further questions the View shed integrity. Speaking to many parents from Ignatius, St Josephs, and Shore spectators and students, unethical strategies became apparent. Views lack of competition in higher races is a show of poor sportsmanship.. something many student, parents and spectators should be ashamed of.

Maybe this is the only chance Iggies have at winning something..

Whilst there were some suspicious results among GPS at times... see Iggies @ Gold Cup being accused of using substitutions to make finals....

The main offenders here to GPS sensibilities across 2016 season were Kinross and St Augustine's who failed to enter VIII's but entered schoolboys IV's which dominated. It can be argued though they did this at Open regattas where GPS schools could have entered a top IV if they wanted to as Newington did at Nationals and that its totally within the rules.

Most of the concern around stacking is scuttlebutt by those whose favoured crews are unable to peak for a championship.

It is entirely possible to focus solely on the final race and get impressive results. see again the maligned Iggie's whose first VIII failed to figure during the season but then came second in first VIII - you cant stack your top boat :/

I think without inside knowledge of how selections fall at a particular school it would be unwise to begin pointing fingers :)

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Whilst there were some suspicious results among GPS at times. see Iggies @ Gold Cup being accused of using substitutions to make finals..

The main offenders here to GPS sensibilities across 2016 season were Kinross and St Augustine's who failed to enter VIII's but entered schoolboys IV's which dominated. It can be argued though they did this at Open regattas where GPS schools could have entered a top IV if they wanted to as Newington did at Nationals and that its totally within the rules.

Most of the concern around stacking is scuttlebutt by those whose favoured crews are unable to peak for a championship.

It is entirely possible to focus solely on the final race and get impressive results. see again the maligned Iggie's whose first VIII failed to figure during the season but then came second in first VIII - you cant stack your top boat :/

I think without inside knowledge of how selections fall at a particular school it would be unwise to begin pointing fingers :)

Im not going to be happy if i see Kinross, St Augustines or any other school dominate like they have done for the last 3 years. I don't even appreciate them entering in AAGPS organised regatta's anyway. Its not just not fair on GPS crews. These two schools in particular need enter an eight or go home. I believe that St Augustines entered a 1st VIII in the first regatta of last season but they obviously didn't like coming 7th so they never entered an VIII again. At least enter in the 2nd VIII race.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Im not going to be happy if i see Kinross, St Augustines or any other school dominate like they have done for the last 3 years. I don't even appreciate them entering in AAGPS organised regatta's anyway. Its not just not fair on GPS crews. These two schools in particular need enter an eight or go home. I believe that St Augustines entered a 1st VIII in the first regatta of last season but they obviously didn't like coming 7th so they never entered an VIII again. At least enter in the 2nd VIII race.

Totally agree. They are the worst offenders. In my opinion there is a difference between "stacking" (pulling rowers from higher crews and placing in lower-ranked crews to increase the % of wins) and the patented Kinross manoeuvre you describe. This means you pretend not to have a 1st VIII....or a 2nd VIII....but your 1st IV is good enough to row at Nationals and win plenty of other races. So Kinross top rowers ranked 1-4 compete against other schools' rowers ranked 17-20 and then claim "We beat the best Sydney schools" .

I'd love to see the tables turned. Imagine if Shore, Joeys Scotch and Nudgee all turned up to an all-comers non-GPS regatta and entered no 1st and 2nd VIII races, but instead put their top crews in as the fours. Then the 1st and 2nd Fours could have a go at the 3rd VIII race. A few records would be broken that day!

RNSW should implement the rule which IGSSA introduced (under pressure) a few years ago. If your rowing program has 12 or more rowers, you MUST enter a 1st eight. BAM!

Status
Not open for further replies.