• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
You cant be disqaulified from a race you do not officially enter. You didn't read my earlier post. They entered the 1st VIII event at that regatta and not the four. At the last minute, the GPS convenors decided to run the GPS sculling trial instead of the second race of the eights (which was later cancelled due to weather). The Kinross crew in order to get another race asked to race in a vacant lane in the fours event, which the GPS allowed. So they then raced and were not judged. So they raced by invitation, which happens at regattas on a regular basis. There is a large difference, as what you are implying is that this crew did something not within the boat racing rules which caused them to be disqualified. Please learn the rules of racing before you take it out on any crews, GPS or not GPS.

First of all 'Slide Rusher' you seem to have a lot of information about a very specific subject on a very specific occasion. You claim you are not a Kinross supporter but i think you have some affiliation with them or have done in the past. After their head coach from that year moved the next year to Newington. If they were not judged then why was the official timings recorded them in first place. I don't think its fair on GPS crews for some 'random' crew to show up in that division who hadn't rowed in the heat. Its ridiculous for the other crews. How would you like sitting on the start line and some random crew rocks up and beats by however many lengths. Kinross in this instance don't deserve to have another row in the four because the VIII's race was cancelled because all the other 1st VIII's didn't take four of their rowers and enter them in a four. Just because they have travelled a long way doesn't mean they should get special invitations into events where there has been a heat and get straight through to the final.
I would argue that i know the laws of boat racing better or just as well as anyone on this forum and i don't think your in a position to make that judgement was you don't know my identity

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Australia has 8 boats going to Rio. Are there any good web sites showing the backgrounds of the crews so i can keep an eye out for AAGPS olympians?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I would go and look at Rowing Australia

Thanks LTR. I had been there, scanned and speed read and couldn't find anything: went back at your recommendation and found the bios linked in the last sentence on page 1.
Note to self: always read the fine print.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Moreover in senior racing after Shore snapped an oar at the only head and chicken regatta last year Newington graciously offered them an oar so they did not have to forfeit. This is indicative of a culture that promotes competition in a fair and positive manner.
Good sportsmanship.
PS - can I assume crews don't take their own spare oars because breakages are rare?

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Good sportsmanship.
PS - can I assume crews don't take their own spare oars because breakages are rare?

I have only seen and heard of an oar snapping clean as mentioned 3 times, once at the 2012 Oxford Cambridge boat race (6 seat), secondly at the Shore 1st VIII at this regatta where New lent them an oar and three The Shore 2nd VIII last year at Gold Cup.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
I have only seen and heard of an oar snapping clean as mentioned 3 times, once at the 2012 Oxford Cambridge boat race (6 seat), secondly at the Shore 1st VIII at this regatta where New lent them an oar and three The Shore 2nd VIII last year at Gold Cup.
A scots old boy told me a story of warwick waugh (wallaby lock) busting an oar whilst rowing at scots.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
A scots old boy told me a story of warwick waugh (wallaby lock) busting an oar whilst rowing at scots.

Its really not that easy to do. Crocker construct their arrow oars with the same carbon fibre as used in the Americas Cup Sailing boats so they are really tough. You need to somehow hit the shaft of the oar at a particular lateral angle. I know with old wooden oars it was quite common for oars to snap.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Its really not that easy to do. Crocker construct their arrow oars with the same carbon fibre as used in the Americas Cup Sailing boats so they are really tough. You need to somehow hit the shaft of the oar at a particular lateral angle. I know with old wooden oars it was quite common for oars to snap.
This was late 80s so prob wood. Waugh is a monster though

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
This was late 80s so prob wood. Waugh is a monster though

The only way i have seen a modern carbon fibre oar snap is with an oar clash which is what happened i in the boat race and with the Shore 1st and 2nd VIII's

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
The only way i have seen a modern carbon fibre oar snap is with an oar clash which is what happened nth boat race and with the Shore 1st and 2nd VIII's
I saw kings first eight hit the pylon at the 93 gold cup mid race. Carbin Oars and riggers snapped. couple of guys injured but they won the hor. Shocking coxing.

Geoff Geoff

Frank Nicholson (4)
This is a school rowing blog, read widely by school kids. Bex was a highly addictive medication that was banned some time ago. It is hardly appropriate to make such a suggestion on this forum.

So you were unaware of the colloquial and you can google. I think you're reaching here, perhaps even trolling? My guess is you're in your 20's and just started coaching at a GPS school.

The active ingredient in bex that was addictive was caffeine so you might as well suggest not talking about coffee or chocolate or panadol or aspirin.

It was banned because the combo with aspirin and paracetamol was causing renal failure in people overdosing on the analgesics while trying to get a hit of caffeine.

Again... take a back step.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
No that is not correct. Some school programs snap up to 10 oars per season, mainly in the lower age groups. The main cause is catching a crab and the oar jams under the boat. Not meaning to be argumentative but I have seen it happen a lot. Perhaps the term 'regular' is not correct, as some years a program may break a number of oars, and another season none. The top senior club crews and school crews break oars less frequently as they are less likely to catch such a crab.
I rowed five seasons at school using wood and carbon oars. Saw a few crabs and a few riggers break but never a broken oar. Maybe oars are weaker today or boys are rowing harder???
Im sure it happens but it must be rare.

Geoff Geoff

Frank Nicholson (4)
I just dont think it is great advocating taking medication to relax on a school rowing website. It is totally inappropriate. Please dont ask me to step back off such a serious issue. The Bex reference should not be used on this site.

No ones advocating taking medication. It was used in The colloquial. To mean calm down you're overreacting. Maybe relax and stop rushing the slide.

Ita similar to when I say you appear a slice or two short of a full cake. I'm not entertaining the idea that you are an actual part eaten cake.

The step back was in reference to your statement that those on this forum who disagree with you are misguided. It was a step back and think about what you're doing having a go at the community here.

When I say "grow up" to you now I don't actually mean figure out a way to increase your height.

It seems you are either a troll or just immature.

Geoff Geoff

Frank Nicholson (4)
I rowed five seasons at school using wood and carbon oars. Saw a few crabs and a few riggers break but never a broken oar. Maybe oars are weaker today or boys are rowing harder???
Im sure it happens but it must be rare.

carbon can fail along a stress fracture from a previous impact.

Maybe a forum member has some inside info on any program which has broken 10 in a season, seems like poor upkeep/standard to me. Expensive at the least...

GPS schools I've been around pass down equipment from seniors through juniors so for e.g. A set of sweep blades may have gone through a few seasons of use without breakage before hitting the juniors.

I'll be sure to ask those in the know when next on Oxley island...

IV The Win

Peter Burge (5)
Wow, I thought I'd leave for a while and the beef would end. Who would have guessed there would always be beef. In general, and this is a generalisation, oar snapping is generally the coxswains fault. Boat clashes and hitting pylons are generally a result of poor or neglectful steering, and it is very rare to actually see a rower break an oar during the strike unless they have either hit something, are using a weak oar, or are rowing entirely wrong (somehow). Thought I'd throw this footage in as an example:

Status
Not open for further replies.