• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RowingAcademy

Bob McCowan (2)
Obviously a very unhappy camper with his subtle jab at Newington & Shore. I would be interested to hear what you have to say about Shore's recent success as the 'making of G&G accounts' was detrimental to a win. Could you please elaborate on you affiliation with GPS Rowing LD.

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
Brilliant idea! Let's see how many Shore and Newington boys can make G&GR accounts just to make themselves feel good in a uselessly rigged poll.

It's been a while since I've posted here, as the discussion has lost focus.

I have faith in a number of schools. A lot of effort goes in to all of the rowing programs (including those outside GPS), and everyone wants to come out on top. The tide will change for every school and I hope we will see that this year.

But, as the season is fast approaching, the young men should be looking forward to having a great season with their mates. They learn so many lessons and values which are important in life and are almost exclusive to rowing.

Who will win come HOTR? And who will have the most fun doing it? Let's see what everyone can do to change the discourse of the schools rowing thread.

That harsh attitude and demeaning rhetoric is very unnecessary on this forum. I thought we had agreed to overcome such childish and immature behaviour.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
If all the same people are on another thread, what change is going to happen? I don't think a stern talking to is really going to change people on the internet...

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hard 10, that's a sad move. All the best with your new thread, I will stay put as well on this one.

I was just looking through the last few years HOR results (which I do from time to time when I need a break from crunching numbers) and saw that in 2011 Shore didn't win a single race at the HOR. Albeit, they placed in many events. Just shows you have things can change in a relatively short space of time.
I noticed that in 2011. Great year for grammar and kings but an unusually bleak season for shore. Shore had bleak years in the 1990s though juniors always very strong.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
These posts have been transferred from a new AAGPS Rowing thread so that we have one thread to cover all schools rowing and not marginalise non-GPS schools rowing.

This thread was started a month ago and is already on its 19th page; there is a clear danger that some posts will be made in this thread and some in the old thread causing endless confusion.

The other thread will be deleted; please don't be mischievous and start yet another one -and please remember that next year.

Thank you.

Although still a while away until the season starts, I thought we could get some prediction's and some crew line-ups for each school. I am eagerly awaiting this season. Training is resuming, the footy boots are being hung up and oars are in hand.

Anyone interested please don't hesitate to contribute, leave any thoughts or ideas here.

Many thanks,

H10

Inbox me your predictions:
1st:
2nd:
3rd:
4th:
5th:
I will update daily on the status of votes. You will only be able to vote once so choose wisely.
Kind Regards H10

Some thoughts based purely on my inherent biases. As i have mentioned previously i am concerned that shore is totally dominating the gps scene.good on them but not good educational practice.
My list.
1 shore. Enough has been said of their total dominance across all divisions. Can't see this changing soon.
2 daylight. Still a long way behind shore.
3 joeys. Tight from 3 to 7
4 view
5 scots
6 newington. Not sure if m morgan can recapture the magic.
7 kings. Missing andrew randall.
8 grammar sadly lacking depth. Weak juniors now becomes weak seniors tomorrow.
9 high. Maybe will climb a couple of places in a few years based on some decent quad results.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
I don't really recall Shore being too bleak in the 1990's other than wins in the 1st and 2nd VIII (although they did win the 1st VIII three times in the 1990's against the strong Newington era). The 1995 Shore crew was exceptional, a very light by fast crew coached by Gary Uebergang and Michael Doyle. Shore still had a pretty dominant run in the fours, with Bob Shirlaw coaching the 1st and 2nd fours throughout that decade. When Newington had its golden era in the 1990's, the results were mainly in the 1st and 2nd VIII's. I am gathering you might be a Grammar supporter. One of Grammar's greatest little known rowing achievements was winning the 1994 Nationals. It was a tussle between Grammar and Newington that year, with Grammar winning the Nationals, and Newington winning the HOR a couple of weeks later. Grammar coached by the Andy Randell and Newington coached by Michael Morgan.
Agree shore was strong from 95 onwards.
My time was in 93 when shore eights were relatively weak only making the B finals at hor which they won easily. The fours were ok but the eights are the measuring stick of success imho. i am from grammar and we beat shore in my final year.
Randall was a great coach for grammar and got the best out of 94 crew. Winning the nats was a big thing for them. Headmaster eventually got to him sadly and kings picked him up.
Grammars striking success in 94 coincided with my departure the previous year :cool:

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
The other unsung Grammar crew was the 2001 crew. They were 2nd at the HOR and Nationals, both not far behind the Kings crew who were one of the best school crews of all time. The Kings crew coached by Andy Randell.
Kings 01 and shore 96 both very fast.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
I cant remember how fast the 1996 Shore crew were. Their 95 crew on the Nepean without much or any river flow did a 5:40 at one of the HOR lead up regattas and 6:20 in a coxed four (the stern four won the Junior Worlds that year). The crew average weight was in the low 70kgs. Stroked by Mike Wiseman who went on to be a world lwt world champ. Fast times considering it was 20+ years ago and the boat technology and training knowledge has all improved since then.
Was a good crew but i heard 96 were slightly faster?? Sub 550 for 2000m at Sirc. Only kings 01 faster.
I knew a couple of guys from 95 shore crew. Wiseman excellent rower. Lightweight world champ in 97.
The junior eight went to worlds made up of grammar and new boys but got nasty gastro. Strong crew going for gold but disbanded into a four. Coached again by randall.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
One would think it would be fair game to start training as soon as Rugby is over, as usually most schools begin training in the last two weeks of Term 3, which is traditionally when Rugby is over.
Could this mean faster racing come March? I doubt it, however the two November regattas will likely be very competitive if the October Holidays are utilised well by all schools

L.Hudsen

Frank Nicholson (4)
Do you think these extra weeks of training will be comprised of additional time in the larger boats (8 or 4) focusing on the upcoming October regattas, or greater volumes of sculling to build an aerobic base that can be built upon in term 1. I have always found it interesting to look at the percentage of on water training sessions crews spend in single sculls compared to their main boat. I would be intrigued if anyone could provide a ratio that they think is about right with reference to perhaps a winning crew.

RowingAcademy

Bob McCowan (2)
Interesting to hear about Shore having the better part of the season stuck in the sculls.

From prior experience at the St Josephs boat shed sculling was second nature to the boys. There was a notion of having more productive sessions in the eight in comparison to sculling - obviously resinating back to the GPS sculling regatta. Obviously a little heart broken to see no St Joseph's men in the GPS eight this season - obviously reflecting their sculling training. Better luck next seasons

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think there is evidence each way
I heard from a shore boy last season that they were doing more big boat work this year than previously, as they obviously had a lot of success. However I know Joeys 2015 used to scull an almost ridiculous amount, even the session before a race on Saturdays (not SIRC races). It really depends on how the coach is coaching the boys, you can do all the sculling in the world but if your boys all row differently it will do diddly squat for the eight, whereas you can spend heaps of time in the eight and again, not do so well.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
However I must add that most schools seem to be doing at least half of their sessions in term four, in the single

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
A lot of the top school rowers these days are participating in club programs through the winter, where most of the rowing is done in sculls. By the time term 4 comes around they already have a good base of sculling, so there is not as much need for the schools to train them in sculls.

The Sydney program is one sculling session and one sweep session a week, it's not rigorous, all it basically does is keep boys rowing through the winter, and improve some technical elements, not exactly a large volume of sculling
I'd imagine most other clubs are similar, boys generally don't want to have a big rowing commitment in the winter

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
A lot of the top school rowers these days are participating in club programs through the winter, where most of the rowing is done in sculls. By the time term 4 comes around they already have a good base of sculling, so there is not as much need for the schools to train them in sculls.

I'm no expert on coaching but i would guess that coaches use sculling as a way to improve fitness and mental toughness. I also recall seeing sculls out on the parramatta in the new year but surely by then crews would be wanting to spend as much time in the 8 or the 4 as possible as thats what boat you are racing in at HOTR.

Although not strictly about "Schools Rowing" (have to get that right) this is the first episode of an interesting little youtube series inside the British rowing team preparing for Rio if anyone is interested.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
As well as fitness, it also improves boat feel, you get a better sense as to the effects of subtle changes in technique. You can hide a lot of mistakes in big boats and still go fast, singles are much much less forgiving, it's the best way to build technique, as well as provide a measure for improvement against your opponents.
I would also say every school uses singles for selections, both across long distances, as well as short (2000/1000m) races

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think there is evidence each way
I heard from a shore boy last season that they were doing more big boat work this year than previously, as they obviously had a lot of success. However I know Joeys 2015 used to scull an almost ridiculous amount, even the session before a race on Saturdays (not SIRC races). It really depends on how the coach is coaching the boys, you can do all the sculling in the world but if your boys all row differently it will do diddly squat for the eight, whereas you can spend heaps of time in the eight and again, not do so well.

I, too, have pondered the benefit of sculling trials for a seat in a sweep boat in senior crews; however I've known so many highly respected coaches (not just the big names) who are devoted to sculling that I believe it works.

Rowing is a lifelong sport so while it may yield more wins to train big boat crews together from the start of the season, sculling is a base to build on long after six years of GPS rowing is over. In ISRA, IGSSA and club rowing there's a huge variety of opportunities in a multitude of boat classes. GPS is the only comp which restricts rowers to one boat class.

I know of at least two schools which insist - or used to insist - on a term of sculling before anyone was put in a crew. Junior results weren't spectacular but technique across the whole shed was visibly superior to other schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.