• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

IV The Win

Peter Burge (5)
I have a question for anyone in the Shore camp or anyone who might know. The aforementioned "super viii" had their fastest race of the season clocked in at a 5:48. However, just going over the crew lineup, there seemed to be a replacement in for the day. Seeing that they did not beat that time for the rest of the season, was it an oversight to not have kept the crew like that for the remainder of the season, or is this just the conditions that have me confused?

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)
I have a question for anyone in the Shore camp or anyone who might know. The aforementioned "super viii" had their fastest race of the season clocked in at a 5:48. However, just going over the crew lineup, there seemed to be a replacement in for the day. Seeing that they did not beat that time for the rest of the season, was it an oversight to not have kept the crew like that for the remainder of the season, or is this just the conditions that have me confused?

I do believe this matter has already been discussed if you have a look through the thread.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
On another matter what are everyone's thoughts about his marvellous proposal?

https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/wentworth-point-rowing-club/

Im sure it will only increase the diversity and numbers of rowers which is fantastic albeit may add to the already somewhat congested Parramatta River.
Ths glossy brochure makes the whole thing look great.thumbs up the proponents but the issue is always where the money comes from. Local state or federal govt or private sector? Dont ask federal govt in the current climate.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
On another matter what are everyone's thoughts about his marvellous proposal?

https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/wentworth-point-rowing-club/

Im sure it will only increase the diversity and numbers of rowers which is fantastic albeit may add to the already somewhat congested Parramatta River.

Its going to be very congested in Homebush Bay with the new bridge being built currently and when and if (big if) this proposal goes ahead. With the new rowing club it will limit the amount of use crews will have to Homebush Bay. Head of the Parramatta will be interesting if this is built as Homebush Bay acts as a marshalling area with an abundance of crews warming up and waiting for their race.

Does anyone know when the dates for the regattas at the end of this year. Rowing NSW only has up to the end of July so far but thats to be expected.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
LTR, The dates are currently on the main page of RNSW - 14/06 Regatta Calendar Draft 4.

Ahh yes but it doesn't have who is hosting the regatta and the location.

On the 29th June, you posted that you were the older brother of the bow seat of the Shore crew. Why don't you ask you brother about it??

He actually didn't say he was the older brother of the Shore bow seat he said that the Shore bow seat didn't have an older brother.

It shows us how much you want to start an argument by effectively making up something. It a bit sad really.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
I never referred to Hard 10. Look at my post. I am not trying to stir anything up. I think a few of us agree IV the Win is a bit out of line on this thread at times.

Yes i agree. First regatta on the 12th. One could assume that the AAGPS would throw an extra regatta on this year due to the early start of the year which would even the playing field in terms of commitments to other sports

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
The new development, in addition to the bridge, might make homebush bay all too confusing to scots, who apparently already have troubles telling their rights from lefts in that area of the river...

L.Hudsen

Frank Nicholson (4)
Don't know any of them personally, they don't seem to be aware that they have to be on the right side of the river, have seen many of their scullers and eights alike come close to collisions

The cost of having young coxswains I would suggest. Perhaps it may prove an advantage as Id assume their 8's coxswains would have at least 1 if not 2 more years in opens rowing and would have gained invaluable albeit expensive experience.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
The cost of having young coxswains I would suggest. Perhaps it may prove an advantage as Id assume their 8's coxswains would have at least 1 if not 2 more years in opens rowing and would have gained invaluable albeit expensive experience.

Yes I have noticed this, their 2nd eight cox from this year looked incredibly young, possibly year 8, perhaps RowingAcademy would like to fill us in?

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Yes I have noticed this, their 2nd eight cox from this year looked incredibly young, possibly year 8, perhaps RowingAcademy would like to fill us in?

I believe both their 1st and 2nd VIII coxes were of equal or similar age. Don't really understand the idea behind this as they have to carry a lot more dead weight in the boat for all the major regattas and especially for HOTR. The Scots 1st VIII also had a clash with Shore at Gold Cup. Not pointing any fingers just saying.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
All their senior coxes may have grown out of the position, as well as this, if you have the same cox for 4 years, by the 2nd or 3rd year of working with him, you've got a cox who knows exactly what you want as a coach, as well as being quite experienced as a coxswain in general

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Keeping experience out of it, if a cox weights 40kg and carries 10kg of weight, it is the same as a 50kg cox, so no difference.

Problem being, if you are training with a 35-40kg cox, you can feel 10kg (more so in a 4+ than an 8+ but still), although, at the end of the day it's not a huge factor, it can be a mental one

Hard 10

Allen Oxlade (6)

On a side note, some lovely rowing from the USA Female 8+ back in 2015 at Varese. Its a real shame that there remains such a discrepancy between coverage of male and female rowing in this day and age. However quite a lovely watch and it is very interesting to view the differences to elite male rowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.