• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 TV ratings and crowd figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
In terms of window. Ideally a deal regarding a global calendar that pushes the current June window back to say July would help.

Top 4 from each then progress into a Champions League style tournament featuring four, 5 team pools playing each other once. Top 2 progress to 1/4 finals and beyond. All up, 22 weeks and over 300 games.

Are you doing away with TRC or EoYT? Or do you play the Champions League without test players?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Are you doing away with TRC or EoYT? Or do you play the Champions League without test players?

No, ideally for this to work if you cannot get a global season sorted at the very least you would look to push in June Test window back to July. Start this new format of Super Rugby mid February.

The Champions League part of it would commence right after the first phase of games and run through the period of the June window. If this were in place at present then Super Rugby would kick off this weekend and run thorugh to the last week in June.

Inbound tests run through July. I'd actually look to add Japan to TRC and do what was done in 2015 where with the exception of the Bledisloe Cup you only play each other once. The EOYT wouldn't be touched.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Well, a move toward a primarily domestic structure would involve some kind of hybrid between the current Super Rugby franchises and NRC franchises. Say the current 5 plus both the Country squads plus Fiji. So it would occupy the same window as Super Rugby currently does and would feature Test players.

In terms of window. Ideally a deal regarding a global calendar that pushes the current June window back to say July would help.

With that you could run a 14 week regular 1st phase across the current member nations. Each Union can determine the number of teams that compete in their competition.

We use a similar set up as above, SA use the Currie Cup, NZ the M10 Cup, Japan the Top League and Argentina one of the Compenato, Nacionales de Clubs or even the URBA competition.

Top 4 from each then progress into a Champions League style tournament featuring four, 5 team pools playing each other once. Top 2 progress to 1/4 finals and beyond. All up, 22 weeks and over 300 games.

It sounds exciting. My question is, what would happen during the second half of the year where NZ and SA (and now Oz) currently have their domestic tournaments running parallel to the international season? From memory, NZ were initially very reluctant to move their domestic tournament to the start of the year.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It sounds exciting. My question is, what would happen during the second half of the year where NZ and SA (and now Oz) currently have their domestic tournaments running parallel to the international season? From memory, NZ were initially very reluctant to move their domestic tournament to the start of the year.

They'd run as per usual.

T

TOCC

If the global calendar changes get approved, then the season would look something like this:

Feb-Jul: Super Rugby
Jul: Inbound tours
Aug-Sep: Rugby Championship
Oct-Nov: EOYT

NRC, Club Rugby etc wouldn't need to change..

The only other change would be the year after a RWC where there will be no inbound tour in Jul.. so there's a few weeks of content that needs to be filled..

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Dump Super Rugby. New competition - 3 teams from Australia, 3 from NZ, 2 from Japan and 2 from China, 2 more - say 1 from SE Asia and 1 from Russia (Vladivostok). 12 teams, home and away, 22 match weekends + finals.

This would have Aus and NZ companies falling over each other to be sponsors - Dairy, agricultural and other products to be sold into Chinese markets. NZ would not be able to refuse the economics. The rivalry between Japan and China is immense, makes tribalism look like child's play. Russia would give 2 arms and a leg to belong to any high level competition. Of course these new Chinese/Japanese/Russian/Asian teams would use money to buy good players from elsewhere until they can mature their local product, just like the French and English currently do.

There should be enough money in such a competition to also subsidise a national rugby competition that's more professional and bigger then the NRC.

NZ have enough players that they could even keep there SANZAR teams and make 3 more easily if they wanted.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yeah, nah....

I'm sorry but this might just be the worst idea put forward so far.

The Jags struggled with a near-Argentina side last season as they adjusted to the travel / speed / demands / style of play of Super rugby.

Please keep in mind that Argentina have beaten Australia and South Africa in recent years.

Imagine how two Chinese teams, a South East Asian team and a Russian club team would go against the Hurricanes.

Fuck me.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Does anyone know what the total SANZAAR deal is worth?

This is my limited [thread and media reports based knowledge] other please correct if you have better info.

The deal is in US dollars so when our dollar goes down against the US the deal goes up and if it goes down so does the deal.

From memory
Total 56 million [Australian when signed] so will be a tad more now.

This was reported [again memory] as National teams 9 million, Super Rugby 16 million, NRC 1 million, International 30 million.

The previous deal varied between 24 and 30 million depending on exchange rates and there is no break down I am aware of of this amount.

I am also unaware who picks up the gains and losses on exchange rates.

T

TOCC

I imagine the ARU would hedge the foreign exchange risk for most of the deal if not all of it, it eliminates the risk of changing revenue due to fluctuations in the value of the $AUD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So, just found something on the t2 forum which is interesting. Apparently the Panasonic Wild Knights are moving to Kumagaya Stadium with the intent of pushing for a Super Rugby birth post 2019. The stadium which is being renovated for the RWC will be a 24,000 seat facility.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I hope it happens WCR! The only chance SANZAAR have of competing financially with European Rugby in the long term, and keeping world class domestic based teams in each country, is if we continue to expand our major tournaments into larger world markets. Japan is the most obvious case - the Sunwolves need to ultimately be in a conference with other Japanese or Asia based teams (Hong Kong would seem a decent bet, and China maybe longer term), and Japan needs to be added to the Rugby Championship. The Jaguares also need regional rivals. Then there's the US and Canada, they might never join Super Rugby but SANZAAR should be working to ensure they align with our season and develop as quickly as possible so they can join the Rugby Championship. These tournaments need to bring in a whole lot more revenue.

If that doesn't happen or can't be done successfully I think at some point we'll have to throw in the towel to European rugby, disband Super Rugby and go down the Australian soccer route.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I hope it happens WCR! The only chance SANZAAR have of competing financially with European Rugby in the long term, and keeping world class domestic based teams in each country, is if we continue to expand our major tournaments into larger world markets. Japan is the most obvious case - the Sunwolves need to ultimately be in a conference with other Japanese or Asia based teams (Hong Kong would seem a decent bet, and China maybe longer term), and Japan needs to be added to the Rugby Championship. The Jaguares also need regional rivals. Then there's the US and Canada, they might never join Super Rugby but SANZAAR should be working to ensure they align with our season and develop as quickly as possible so they can join the Rugby Championship. These tournaments need to bring in a whole lot more revenue.

If that doesn't happen or can't be done successfully I think at some point we'll have to throw in the towel to European rugby, disband Super Rugby and go down the Australian soccer route.

I think we are nearing the point of the absolute need for radical change in the competition. A complete refresh. TOCC has mentioned a Champions League style competition amd I largely agree.

I've briefly outlined my version of this in otger posts but mine would call for the five natioms currently involved to move toward 5 individual conferences of at a minimum 6 but but most preferably 8 teams in order to play a purely domestic 1st phase. The second phase would then involve the top 4 from each entering essentially the same format as the RWC to determine an overall champ.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think we are nearing the point of the absolute need for radical change in the competition. A complete refresh. TOCC has mentioned a Champions League style competition amd I largely agree.

I've briefly outlined my version of this in otger posts but mine would call for the five natioms currently involved to move toward 5 individual conferences of at a minimum 6 but but most preferably 8 teams in order to play a purely domestic 1st phase. The second phase would then involve the top 4 from each entering essentially the same format as the RWC to determine an overall champ.

I'd also entertain the idea of opening up the player market.

T

TOCC

Ideally I would like:

Feb-Apr: Domestic League
Apr-Jun: Champions League
Jul: Inbound tour

Domestic comp would be a round robin with the current Aus Super Rugby teams and maybe another like Fiji/Japan.. at the end, the seeding of the ladder places the top 3 teams in the Champions League, and the bottom 3 in another respective tournament..

Champions League Cup could either be another round robin or play it as a pool style format.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't think there's any chance Australia or New Zealand could have 8 teams each and pay the players what they currently do. I'm also not convinced that separating Australia and New Zealand teams in the regular season portion would be a good thing. Our players definitely benefit from playing each other regularly and a pretty significant percentage of rugby fans in Australia are Kiwis!

But otherwise I agree that the champions league style system would work. I also think the more NFL style conference system can work too it just has to be set up more sensibly.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
So, just found something on the t2 forum which is interesting. Apparently the Panasonic Wild Knights are moving to Kumagaya Stadium with the intent of pushing for a Super Rugby birth post 2019. The stadium which is being renovated for the RWC will be a 24,000 seat facility.

Link please mate? i'm not familiar with the t2 forum

Status
Not open for further replies.