• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 TV ratings and crowd figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If it were to occur I'd like to see the player market opened up and players feature in both nations teams. Something we've seen is Australian players can and often do excel in the NZ systems.

I honestly think a Trans-Tasman competition would be a worthwhile endeavour that will deliver the necessary quality and finances for all concerned.

I also think this would strengthen the alliance in many ways to be honest. Sure, it would lead to the end of Super Rugby but we can certainly keep The Rugby Championship. Obviously the Sunwolves would go but this could be offset with opening a spot for Japan in TRC. They could even look to move the Top League to fall more into line with a TT and SA based competitions.

And Argentina could look to add another and join with SA.

This would also open other opportunities such as a Champions Cup like structure. Personally, perhaps breaking Super Rugby up could reinvigorate how the alliance relates and competes with one another.
Yes I am starting to believe a Trans Tasman competition with players able to play for any side could be a real winner commercially. More and more seeing this could be good for all concerned commercially, to create a competition that could really grow. Plus with some innovation to continue to encourage running rugby and attacking rugby (e.G. like nrc points system).

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
If it were to occur I'd like to see the player market opened up and players feature in both nations teams. Something we've seen is Australian players can and often do excel in the NZ systems.

I honestly think a Trans-Tasman competition would be a worthwhile endeavour that will deliver the necessary quality and finances for all concerned.

I also think this would strengthen the alliance in many ways to be honest. Sure, it would lead to the end of Super Rugby but we can certainly keep The Rugby Championship. Obviously the Sunwolves would go but this could be offset with opening a spot for Japan in TRC. They could even look to move the Top League to fall more into line with a TT and SA based competitions.

And Argentina could look to add another and join with SA.

This would also open other opportunities such as a Champions Cup like structure. Personally, perhaps breaking Super Rugby up could reinvigorate how the alliance relates and competes with one another.

I like the idea. The hurdle would be changing the philosophy regarding the place of the 2nd tier from the perspective of the NZRU.

ATM, the NZ teams are centrally controlled, with the NZRU firmly in charge and able to control so many factors, including teams playing a particular style of game. ATM everything is working in line with what's best for the AB's. And it's paying off.

So the NZRU would need to be convinced that it would still be good for the AB's. Under a trans-tasman comp, with NZ players able to play for non-NZ teams, the NZRU might see it as a negative if they didn't have the same access to players and the same level of control.

Not an impossible hurdle to overcome, but a hurdle all the same.

I just think if they structured a trans-tasman comp in a similar way to the NRL in terms of putting the competition first, and if a FFT network were to pick it up and promote it, it would gain traction in Oz.

NZ rugby could majorly help Oz rugby if they really wanted to. However, it's not the NZRU's problem. So the key would be the NZRU feeling like it was a mutually beneficial partnership.

The_Wookie

Chris McKivat (8)
2017RugbyRatings_R3.jpg

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
^^^ based on that we should cut the Blues. No one turned up to their game and they had the lowest viewers on Fox ;)

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
When can I use the term diabolical? It's almost at the stage where SANZAAR needs to tell NZ rugby to go easy. The saving grace is that Rugby is on the up globally...just Australia bucking the trend!

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Tis still a tad to early as we have had no Reds V Tahs games. Also with all the negativity around right now and the performances of the teams rating being down is no huge surprise.

We need some good news stories and or some bad news stories from other codes.

We have also become the thing to be cut from sports broadcasting if they need time. Only our big matches get any real airtime these days and even then at the end. This also effects ratings. The Womems AFL & Netball are now taking up considerable space in the sports reports and that can only mean less time for us.

I watched 9 News on Friday night and FMD league got endless coverage, AFL and Soccer some I don't think we got a mention.

No idea of the solution

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Half,

Sadly, I doubt that anybody has a solution. We can look back and, with the benefit of hindsight, see some forks in the road. For example, it seemed pretty apparent that the axing of Lote Tuqiri put a dent in the Tahs' fanbase. He was a real drawcard, particularly for the kids. I am not saying anything could have been done differently, by the way.

The introduction of the ARC. By golly, that was a big missed opportunity. Should have been delayed a year (silly to have it in the World Cup year for a number of reasons) and it should have been supported by all of us.

The Robbie Deans experiment. Looked like a world-beater with the Crusaders, but did not have much of a clue about getting the best out of our players, in our culture. Not his fault, probably unforseeable.

The McKenzie fiasco. Michael Foley at the Force. I could go on. We have shot ourselves in the foot so many times.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Wamberal

As an Accountant when looking at financials and other reports the first question I ask myself is who prepared these and are they related in any way to the entity and more importantly does the entity gain by the report.

Commonly refereed to a as "Separation of Powers". In fact democracy relies on the concept of "Separation of Powers" i.e. courts and police, church and state etc.

IMO SANZAAR and the ARU board have never really had a "separation of power" in fact with the ARU effectively funding the Super Rugby teams there has never been any real challenge to what SANZAAR want.

Our leading journalist have also mostly toes the line, we don't have a Phil Gould or Craig Foster biting at the heels of their governing bodies.

The first thing I would do just to get more voices heard, - is to break up the existing structure and provide the Super Rugby teams their own voice, the state unions a voice, the SS competition a voice.

IMO this is where we have to start and take a collective responsibility to solving the issues and let voices of decent heard.

As a side note re voices of decent, Rugby protects the ARU better than most re my comment above pertaining to our journalist. Quick story roughly eight weeks ago I was approached to write some bloggs on this site. I questioned the requester and said my views are very unpopular with many and I was principally concerned with rugby's management and was very critical of same. No trouble was the reply I then prepared two articles. I was told on a group of people had got together and believed I should just comment, so even at this level rugby folk struggle to hear decenting and critical voices nay a very critical and very questioning voice.

Sometimes we can blame a board to much, we all have a collective responsibility to grow the game and to do that properly needs all voices and opinions heard. It needs a very smart person to lead the conversation and listen to the various voices and develop a workable model.

So its not all the ARU's fault its IMO the lack of a "Separation of Powers" that has meant our decision makers have quite a narrow view of the issues.

This is how I would start the recovery process.

Rant over ...

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
tbh its not about opinions being heard, supporters doing the hard work or strategy. Like any business its about two things.
1 - the product
2 - selling the product

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
A few of points on the Tahs vs Brumbies game. I was there and there seemed to be about 15K, according to Georgina Robinson it was just over 14K.

- Atmosphere wise really felt like 5K, the Melbourne Rebels crowd made a hell of a lot more noise than the Tahs supporters

- Horrible game, just horrible. I'm surprised 67K households turned on their TV for this derby. Yes it was wet and it was always going to be slippery but Jesus! these guys are paid to catch the ball! Also no intent, very little imagination in attack, is this the really Brumbies? Is this the same Tahs team that had so much pride in their game?!

- Game day music just terrible, just my opinion, my wife commented "Why don't they play something cool just before the team runs on the field?". We only get 7 home games this year and they Waratahs Admin does very little to pump the crowd

- The Waratahs (And Reds) should be the stronger drawcards on both TV and Attendance, the organisations should be working overtime to create a better product

I will be there when they take on the Crusaders in the Sunday afternoon game 2nd of April, at this stage I have 7 mates coming (3 Kiwis). Tahs should have some Aus vs Kiwi half time entertainment, a few years back they had the wood chopping comp, the crowd went nuts!

As side note, the Tahs need to drop Hegarty, Phipps and Simone (For his own good) ASAP

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
not sure Rebels can make a buck with crowds of 8 - 10 K only. initially they were getting 15 - 18 then it was 12 - 15 and now only 8 - 10 thousand (10.2 v Blues, ? v Chiefs, 8.1 v Tahs) but still, we are a noisy lot

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^^^^^^ But they were bloody noisy and very nearly lifted the side to a win at the death. By far the best crowd so far this season.

Reactions: mst

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Are there any ratings for the free to air telecasts sunday morning on ONE? Does anybody watch then?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Are there any ratings for the free to air telecasts sunday morning on ONE? Does anybody watch then?
The top 20 "multi-channels" get published, they're pretty dominated by the kids shows on ABC2.

On Sunday, number 20 was a small house show on ninelife in primetime at 127,000.

The replay at 8am on 11 is (probably) going to be much less than that. That time and that channel have pretty tiny audience shares

Status
Not open for further replies.