• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 TV ratings and crowd figures

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

6pm on a Thursday was never going to draw a crowd, NRL clubs have been whinging about it for years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
11k last week at the tahs game according to Georgina Robinson shm. Ratings are up from last year

T

TOCC

Ratings are up? Pretty poor article by Georgina, she is comparing Rd1 vs the average of 2016, ignores the critical variable of NRL/AFL. I find it a difficult argument to believe that ratings are up compare to same period last year.

Rd1 2016
NSW v QLD: 149k
FOR v REB: 70k

Rd 1 2017:
REBvBLU: 48k
NSW v FOR: 110k
RED v SHA: 81k

*Brumbies were playing in Argentina in 2016

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^^^^ Just a small matter TOCC - Brumbies play Argentina in Argentina this year. Last year they played the Sunwolves here in Canberra. Round 1 last year they played and pantsed the Hurricanes as I remember.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
True. Although I don't really like Georgina Robinson' usual reporting she is pretty much spot on with her figures normally. Having said that I don't remember a Force Tahs game (In the wet) with over 100k in Ratings.

As a side note glad the Force won, they needed that and they played much better than last year

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Is that good or bad?
diabolical timing for the east coast on a Thursday for we old folks

Not just that but coincided with the first game of the NRL (Started before that finished) and to make things worse, the Broncos were the team playing in the NRL. Ino my mates back in QLD watched the league, then Matty Johns, then watched the reds after. The vast majority of them have an interest in the Reds, but Rugby comes secondary to League for them, esp when the Broncos are playing. Horrible, horrible scheduling

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^ Just a small matter TOCC - Brumbies play Argentina in Argentina this year. Last year they played the Sunwolves here in Canberra. Round 1 last year they played and pantsed the Hurricanes as I remember.

That is 100% correct.........

Last year they gave the eventual champions a flogging in round 1 at home.

T

TOCC

Ah whatever the reason, their rating didn't show up on the site I looked at

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I think its a tad early to make a judgement call.

Lets start to worry if after 4 rounds the ratings are crowds are down a lot.

The bigger concern for me is overseas ratings, if SA and European ratings fall it could effect revenue badly.

As hard as it is, our rating while important don't make the bulk of Super Rugby revenue.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Super Rugby

Fri STV #SuperRugby #FoxSports #CHIvBLU 41k
AFL
Fri STV #AFLW #FoxFooty #AFLWGiantsDees 5pm Live 22k, 10pm 24k
Fri STV #FoxLeague Prof's #SecondYearSyndrome 132k
Fri STV #AFL #JLTSeries Giants v Swans 81k

League
Fri TV #NRL #NRLSouthsTigers *updated* 695k: Metro Nine/9Gem 430k (Syd 234k Bri 149k Mel 28k), Regional 265k
Fri STV #NRL #FoxLeague #FoxSports #NRLSouthsTigers 270k
Fri STV #NRL #FoxLeague #FoxSports #NRLBulldogsStorm 274k
Fri TV #NRL #NRLSouthsTigers Metro Nine 384k (Syd 234k Bri 149k) Regional 265k

V8’s
Fri TV #Supercars #VASC #Clipsal #TEN Day One Wrap 119k Qual 110k

Soccer
Fri STV #ALeague #FoxSports #BigBlue 83k

Fri TV #ALeague #SBSViceland #BigBlue 84k (Metro 62k Regional 22k)

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
@MediaweekAUS: Sat STV #SuperRugby #FoxSports
Highlanders v Crusaders 53k
Brumbies v Sharks 50k
Hurricanes v Rebels 41k

half

Alan Cameron (40)
It’s way too early to make panic calls. However the trend is not our friend after two rounds. We should have a better idea after round 4, but TWIS is not looking good.

However considering the big pow-wow when the Australian cough cough leaders go into crisis talks one wonders aloud should we have maybe played a REDS V TAHS game earlier.

Australian teams only figures.
Rd1 2016
TAHS v REDS: 149k
FOR v REBELS: 70k
BUM V HUC: 90 K

AVERAGE: 103 K

Rd 1 2017:
REBvBLU: 48k
NSW v FOR: 110k
RED v SHA: 81k

AVERAGE 80 K
Rd 2 2016
BUM V TAHS: 120K
REDS V FOR: 84K
BUK V REDELS : did not make the cut off

AVERAGE 102K

Rd2 2017
FOR V REDS: 38K
HUC V REBELS : 41 K
BUM V SHKS : 50 K
LIONS V TAHS : ??? did not make the cut off.

AVERAGE 43 K

Average after two rounds

2016 : 102.5 k
2017: 61.5 K

A 40 % fall to date

Both years had teams one game that ratings are not recorded which more than likely would lower both these figures.

Given some including me like to have a gander at the A-League, after 22 rounds, 110 games, they are averaging 68.3 K on Fox a 15% increase, compared to the first 110 games played the season before.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Horrific set of numbers. We had friends over Saturday night and I asked the boys ranging 9-14 yrs and all of which play rugby what footy did they want to watch. They all voted Nth Qld vs Canberra over Brumbies vs Sharks. Even the dads where happy to watch the league. The game is in trouble.

T

TOCC

Like I said after Georgina Robinson tried claiming ratings were up after Rd 1, you need to consider a wider sample.

Rd 1 and Rd 2 in 2016 featured the 2 highest drawing matches in the Australian calendar(NSW vs REDS and NSW vs ACT).

2017 hasn't had these matches, and Australia's highest drawing team(NSW) have run off to South Africa.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Trends are changing as well. I read that the NRL figure on FTA dipped and FOXTEL have had an increase.

If that trend holds longterm who knows, but based on whats happening O/S the FTA deals could be are weakening and a poor option.

The thought is that the streaming platform may be splintering the market so weakening everyone in the interim (including the actual sport)as people explore. But the real concern is that the streaming platforms will go after bulk content (throw lost of money at sports) to get adverting (yes like having ads pop up mid youtube video etc) and then transition to subscription or pay TV models with lower quality, less viewer controls (look up the AFL video screen size issue - the 7 and 12inch viewing) and more advertising. Also take note of the Optus EPL deal and how the EPL reporting has almost gone silent and the ratings have steadily fallen.

The big TV content buyers in Europe and the US are doing like Optus and using it to drive its telco business.

Interesting figures with the twitter experiment (streaming), even with twitter throwing the doors open with free NFL its still attracting less than 2% of the overall audience even using the inflated counting methodologies.

So, overall in the US and Europe the top sports are down about 10% on ratings. This includes the EPL and NFL and its also reflected in attendance drops.

So we might want to start considering if the above Rugby figures will also show a decline of about 10-15% in line with other sports globally.

So the latest theory is the internet revolution is not taking ratings but rather scattering them across a segmented and saturated market. Its believed live sports markets have peaked and will decline somewhat before they settle. Its a simple problem of too much choice and those on the fringe of sports can now be tempted away by niche content (chasing Pokemon and posting their latest food selfie) that's all available via mobile devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.