• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
The OZ 1st 5 is having a mare with the boot. Kicked out on the full outside 22. Kicked the ball dead from own half. Now doesn't find touch on a penalty.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Great half by the Aussies unlucky not to get that try just before the half. Goooo boys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
The OZ 1st 5 is having a mare with the boot. Kicked out on the full outside 22. Kicked the ball dead from own half. Now doesn't find touch on a penalty.

Fair enough. But he's giving the backline structure and width; when he gets the kicks right we'll be even better

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
Oz 10 is having a mare. So much that's good and bad in current Australian rugby on display. Great talent, good intent but too many mistakes and a less than stellar rugby IQ. They do lots of dumb stuff. This looks like the last several Australian efforts at U-20 championships that all ended in tears.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Oz 10 is having a mare. So much that's good and bad in current Australian rugby on display. Great talent, good intent but too many mistakes and a less than stellar rugby IQ. They do lots of dumb stuff. This looks like the last several Australian efforts at U-20 championships that all ended in tears.

What he's having a horse ?? I thought a pretty good start. Beat Samoa by enough then may have a chance at the semi's; particularly with the draw (sa game) and the close (1) point win by Italy v Ireland. A good win will possibly give us a semi spot. Best result for a while.

So cheer up Harv have my hanky.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Frustrating win. Wales are a decent team, but if Hutchinson finished that try (and with the amount of work they do there in 7s, he should have) we get a bonus point and look likely to make finals regardless of beating England. Now, we really have to beat England.

Does this sound stupid? Yes. But, these are the silly mathematical games you play with the asymmetrical qualification system I'm always surprised the IRB stick with year after year.

As an aside, it was interesting how many tries Wales scored against the run of play. Whilst frustrating (as I mentioned above) and somewhat worrying, it should be fixable with some good video review.

Using a VPN isn't illegal. There's no issue talking about that.

Talking about websites that provide illegal streams is against the forum rules though.

I use a VPN at home. It has been very useful for watching the World Rugby 7s when they aren't showing games on Foxtel.

VPNs aren't illegal? I would've thought they violate content ownership laws (obviously my language isn't right, but you know what I mean).

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
What he's having a horse ?? I thought a pretty good start. Beat Samoa by enough then may have a chance at the semi's; particularly with the draw (sa game) and the close (1) point win by Italy v Ireland. A good win will possibly give us a semi spot. Best result for a while.

So cheer up Harv have my hanky.

I don't want your hanky. I can guess what goes into it. Am happy they got away with it. But if they play with no nouse against the Poms they'll get a belting. I'd like to see them play to their obvious potential which means going forward before going wide and doing basic things like using a gale force wind at your back to play for field position especially when the pack is dominating set piece and theyare winning the breakdown. The five eighth didn't have a horse, but I'm sure he'd be the first to admit he played like a donkey.

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
Interesting re Stewart.
Cheika was talking him up on Tuesday.

You can see he's good. Attacks the line, great pass, can kick. But he was probably trying too hard -- four costly mistakes int he first twenty minutes ruined their chances to build the kind of lead they needed at half time turning to run into the wind. Their defensive effort in the second forty, considering they were pinned for much of the last quarter was excellent, but they should have had a decent points buffer. He'll get better....just hope they play through the middle a little more before going lateral against the really good sides.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought they did pretty well overall. Certainly better than they've played in any of the matches so far this year. In recent years I feel we would have lost this game at the U20 World Champs. Wales weren't great but they kept coming and had plenty of opportunities close to our line. The starch in our defence was particularly pleasing.

I thought the backrow were excellent and Hewat and Scott-Young in particular provided strong running all game. Our scrum was strong and Uelese in particular was also good with ball in hand.

Stewart's passing game was good whilst his kicking game was poor. In general our backs were decent but lost the ball too often, particularly Perese. Thankfully he held onto the ball in the decisive play to break the line, score and win the game.

I thought Liam McNamara did really well at fullback and was strong in attack. His kicking game is poor though and he has little distance so hopefully we don't need to use it too much.

If Maddocks was available you'd probably have him at the back, McNamara on the wing and Kennewell to the bench.

The draw between France and South Africa could well stuff up our chances of making the semi-finals. If both those teams beat Argentina and Georgia it will be very hard to finish ahead of either of them without beating England.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
You can see he's good. Attacks the line, great pass, can kick. But he was probably trying too hard -- four costly mistakes int he first twenty minutes ruined their chances to build the kind of lead they needed at half time turning to run into the wind. Their defensive effort in the second forty, considering they were pinned for much of the last quarter was excellent, but they should have had a decent points buffer. He'll get better..just hope they play through the middle a little more before going lateral against the really good sides.

Yeah he will. A few considerations (not excuses);

1. The wind did play a factor. Would of been 15-20 knots by the end of the game.
2. Time game was played. These kids have been there 5 days, may of been sluggish playing at night at effectively 2.30 am.
3. That was the first game they have played together. Remember Stewart, contracted players (3) and 7's players did not play Oceania or together before. And there were 4 of them in the backs: hence some errors.

Now I know I'll get well there professional or should be used to this; but the truth is that they aren't; they r young men (most 19-20) in my eyes still kids. Give them a little latitude ok?

Thought the win was gritty, showed pride in the jersey and you always felt they were in it, weren't going to give up. A solid performance from me with more excitement to come.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Overall I think bringing in the Super Rugby and 7s players was clearly the right thing to do. They were generally amongst our best players and added a fair bit of class to the side.
Was there a school of thought that we shouldn't include these players?

You would expect them to be amongst our best wouldn't you?

Incidentally, I would select Kennewell on one leg over both McNamara & Henry.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Overall I think bringing in the Super Rugby and 7s players was clearly the right thing to do. They were generally amongst our best players and added a fair bit of class to the side.

I don't think anyone was arguing against that Braveheart. I think people (and I for one) thought they should have (except it was virtually impossible) to bring them in earlier so they could have game time together.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Was there a school of thought that we shouldn't include these players?

You would expect them to be amongst our best wouldn't you?

Incidentally, I would select Kennewell on one leg over both McNamara & Henry.

Well yeah, there was lots of posts suggesting that it's a big risk trying to slot these players in at the last minute (including those that missed the Oceania Tournament due to Super Rugby).

I thought Kennewell struggled a bit last night. I thought he was the least threatening of the outside backs.

His yellow card was pretty unlucky as that big tackle certainly stopped a try but he did get the player beyond horizontal.

Status
Not open for further replies.