• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
IS, I recall people saying exactly the same thing leading up to and during the U20s last year. Sad commentary if true, and just when will they fix it so that the best team can take the field from the get go?
Totally agree. The Under 20s Super comp Oceania tournament was a waste of time and money when virtually all of the outside backs overlooked for JWC. I think the timing of the JWC is our biggest obstacle given the amount of Super/7s players eligible but unavailable due to higher honours. It's a pity because for the last couple of years we've had a great team on paper, but not enough cohesion because of lack of game time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Absolutely, the U20's system in Australia is broken because our schedule doesn't fit seamlessly in with the JWC like the northern hemisphere nations do. These are the formative years for players, and if you aren't in the starting XV, then you spend the best part of 8 months warming the bench and holding tackle bags.

Players get better by actually playing rugby, and the whole U20's program doesn't allow maximum game time.

This is no slight to the players who have done an enormous job to get where they are, and no doubt a tremendous honour for them, but i think ultimately, its doing them a disservice.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think if you want to be serious about U20s you have to have a longer season and you probably need smaller provincial areas rather than the states. So Sydney East, Sydney West etc etc, Brisbane North (or whatever I don't claim to know much about rugby in Brisbane), Southern NSW, ACT, Northern NSW.
At the moment there are too many gates for players to pass through to even get on the radar of Cron - Gen Blue (NSW) is mainly comprised of the last 2 years of Oz schools NSW/combined states.
They had possible v probables but that was only for players who were not in the u19 part of Gen Blue already -they being the kids who played Oz schools, NSW Schools or CS or were already on the rep radar.
Im not sure that can be fixed: by the time the schoolboy rep program finishes the U20 preseason training has started and so they are driven to picking those kids. Presumably there is some notice taken of strong performances in colts (Ramm must have been one) first year out of school, but then you read not a single Norths colt invited (nominated?) to trial last October/November.
And then Pat McCutcheon's first coaching gig is NSW U20s - I doubt thats the place to find out if you can coach.
if you can solve all of that by early June every year youre a genius.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
There is another game Friday, so particularly in the pigs, you don't want to cook your players with three games in the week. Given that England is the key match, our draw is just about ideal and if we select as we have done we'll maximise our chances. If anyone in the dirt-trackers is going to make a mark, this is their big chance. If someone is playing really well and gets replaced early then you can be sure he'll get a gig Friday.

As said before, I expect we'll see some changes in the forwards at 50 mins to rest top players and in the backs I think there'll be the same changes to give the top team about 30 minutes to sharpen their combinations.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think if you want to be serious about U20s you have to have a longer season and you probably need smaller provincial areas rather than the states. So Sydney East, Sydney West etc etc, Brisbane North (or whatever I don't claim to know much about rugby in Brisbane), Southern NSW, ACT, Northern NSW.
At the moment there are too many gates for players to pass through to even get on the radar of Cron - Gen Blue (NSW) is mainly comprised of the last 2 years of Oz schools NSW/combined states.
They had possible v probables but that was only for players who were not in the u19 part of Gen Blue already -they being the kids who played Oz schools, NSW Schools or CS or were already on the rep radar.
Im not sure that can be fixed: by the time the schoolboy rep program finishes the U20 preseason training has started and so they are driven to picking those kids. Presumably there is some notice taken of strong performances in colts (Ramm must have been one) first year out of school, but then you read not a single Norths colt invited (nominated?) to trial last October/November.
And then Pat McCutcheon's first coaching gig is NSW U20s - I doubt thats the place to find out if you can coach.
if you can solve all of that by early June every year youre a genius.

There was like 4 sides in the "Possibles V Probables" games. 60 players is a large net in NSW, particularly when you also add in those wrapped up the the 7s, Super Rugby, etc.

Basically - I think the current model is a huge step up over the old one and goes alright.

Though, you have a point in saying that an NRC-esc U20s makes sense. For the reason you've said and because of pathway alignment.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There was like 4 sides in the "Possibles V Probables" games. 60 players is a large net in NSW,

But thats 60 beyond the 30+ U19s they already had in Gen Blue this year until they culled it and went with basically >19s for the Super 20s.
Besides which a better test is their week in week out performance for their clubs: as a nation we seem very reluctant to pick under age rep sides on week in week out performance.
Strange because thats what it takes to win any tournament, albeit compressed into 3 weeks.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The super u20s is only a few years old, it's gotta start somewhere. I agree it is short but hopefully as time goes on it extend to a home and away comp for 8 weeks. I'd like to see the nrc incorporate a min 4/5 u21s in match day squads

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I'd like to see the nrc incorporate a min 4/5 u21s in match day squads

I'd rather the pick the best bloody 23 they can for NRC. Stuff blooding younger players, there time will come. The NRC is all about giving the best of our comps a run and seeing how they go at the next level.

I would MUCH prefer a u20's club competition which led into an u20's NRC (which played curtain raisers for the NRC) which led into the Super 20's.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
so far just scrappy. Lineout looks great, everything else not so great so far. Hopefully we stop our dropsies and keep that whistle out of the refs mouth!

Can someone also remind me why Hunter Pasami isn't in our matchday 23 instead of Samoa's??

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
so far just scrappy. Lineout looks great, everything else not so great so far. Hopefully we stop our dropsies and keep that whistle out of the refs mouth!

Can someone also remind me why Hunter Pasami isn't in our matchday 23 instead of Samoa's??

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's all very helter skelter, just need to tuck the ball under the arm some times. Jooste looking short of a gallop

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
What wrong with 7 points?????

Acting like the inferior team if not losers

Reactions: R&R

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd be throwing Tuipulotu on for Jooste once Stewart is back on. Even Perese for Riley, that's if he's on the bench. Midfield has been very ordinary

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
It's not always easy to pick form in these games, some teams have come in hot, while others have had to find their feet. But I look at the score England put on Samoa in their first match, and worry about how difficult we found the going in the first 40 minutes of this match.

Status
Not open for further replies.