• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
What the hell is wrong with 7 pts???????????

Thank god he got that kick.

Third time no ticker.. god help Australian rugby. Absolutely pathetic decision making!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
Very lucky the Samoan replacement kicker didn't play the entire match.
Well done Samoa, certainly wouldn't be confident about Thursday

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Bloody hell we were lucky to win that game. If we play like that against England they'll put a cricket score on us

Don't know about that. Samoa played a lot better against the Aussies than they did against England. Good for them.

However there was some poor decisions made and some very poor execution. Scrum and line outs were good. However ball retention and options taken were very poor again. Think that there are some glaring decisions made for the personnel. For mine:

Maafu 2 too eager made too many mistakes; replacement not starting.

Swinton 4 played well but need a true second row; definitely in the team but a impact replacement.

Anderson 7 doesn't have the skill level of wright, needs to impose himself on the field; don't know where I would put him, if at all.

Valenti too slow; maybe on the bench.

Jooste well you know what I think; wouldn't have him; even on the bench.

Nucifora has to start as does hewet.

Must have Tuiplotu and Perese with Reilly an apt replacement.

Think the forwards in general are close to the mark; breakdown not as good today. Continuity of play, good decision making and the backline seem to have the question marks.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Fingers crossed uelese is fit. The game changed once vui and him came on, then changed once he went off.

I don't fancy our chances against England but with vui, uelese, perese and tuipulotu back in the side looks dramatically different. Add the back 3 and we are fairly decent.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Would have loved to see Samoa run with the ball more, all they did was kick What a fantastic goal kicker they do have

They couldn't as they need a clear field to attack and the Aussies just didn't give them enough space. Kicking, particularly ineffective kicking i.e. Doesn't go out or make field position usually means that's the only option for a team that is not confident of making consistent breaks.

They did well enough but they must of had at least 60% of the ball. Yeah the kicker was good.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I thought valenti was good, just need some more impact in the contact zone from 4,5,6,7. The 4,5 run a good line out so that leaves 6,7. Both not bad players but are basically a jack of all trades, master of none type players. I'd be going for either someone that competes super hard at the ruck at 7 or if we don't have that a 6 that will offer the ability to win a collision more often to support particularly vui upfront.

Stewart needs to take the line on more and he'll look 1000x better

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
I thought valenti was good, just need some more impact in the contact zone from 4,5,6,7. The 4,5 run a good line out so that leaves 6,7. Both not bad players but are basically a jack of all trades, master of none type players. I'd be going for either someone that competes super hard at the ruck at 7 or if we don't have that a 6 that will offer the ability to win a collision more often to support particularly vui upfront.

Stewart needs to take the line on more and he'll look 1000x better

Yeah valenti looks impressive when he gets the ball, but in general play too slow; if he wasn't would have scored a try today. Agree on the 6&7 however wright should improve that. Like vui probably our best prop even though I don't think there is a lot of difference between all the props; that's not where the problem is.

Agree with running to the line;seems to be more lateral movement instead of at least drawing the defender and passing. Certainly need to improve on this performance.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The super u20s is only a few years old, it's gotta start somewhere. I agree it is short but hopefully as time goes on it extend to a home and away comp for 8 weeks. I'd like to see the nrc incorporate a min 4/5 u21s in match day squads
by that measure we should start an u20s comp in a few years because then it will be even newer.
Hang on, if we never start it we can blame our performance on not having one. That would save money, too.
The junior World Champps has been u20 for years.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The super u20s is only a few years old, it's gotta start somewhere. I agree it is short but hopefully as time goes on it extend to a home and away comp for 8 weeks. I'd like to see the nrc incorporate a min 4/5 u21s in match day squads
Quotas never help anything.
Much better to have NRC 19's or 20's teams.
......if $$$ wasn't an issue

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
by that measure we should start an u20s comp in a few years because then it will be even newer.
Hang on, if we never start it we can blame our performance on not having one. That would save money, too.
The junior World Champps has been u20 for years.

I really don't understand this comment?????

Why would we need a new comp (obviously sarcastically)? i was merely pointing out it's new and will gradually build. Our u20s opportunities are considerably better than it was 2years ago.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We either need South Africa to lose to Argentina or France to lose to Georgia to have a decent chance of progressing.

Shame Argentina went down by a point against France.

The draw between France and South Africa has very likely cruelled our chances of making the semi finals.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I really don't understand this comment?????

Why would we need a new comp (obviously sarcastically)? i was merely pointing out it's new and will gradually build. Our u20s opportunities are considerably better than it was 2years ago.

The newer the comp the more you are prepared to accept by way mediocrity.
Its newness is not an excuse - it shouldn't be new.
They have been picking teams in this age group or very close for decades - 30 + years to my knowledge.
As spiro says on the roar today: its time to stop accepting mediocrity and excuses.
I heard a rumour the ARU had floated scrapping this comp - thats what making excuses gets you.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I don't mind the look of this Aussie under 20 side but they do make some easy attacking opportunities look hard . The 10 hitting the ball up when there's good holes setup for his centres. Lacks a bit of vision or decision making. I love the front row. Such good ball runners. Kepu like.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Moonrat

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think the game is set up nicely this week Aussie front 3 of Holmes/ Walker, Uelese's and Vui if fit look like they can push the English around who have been beated in the scrum by both the Samoan's and Welsh. Lineout is strong - hocking offers very little around the park but runs a good lineout. The backrow has still been dull for mine. I'd have Swinton in there and wright has been the better option at 7. Hewatt, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Valenti are much of the same.
The backs however - less clear to me yet clearly more obvious to others. Stewart doesn't look settled in defence or attack. McNamara looks very sharp - i'd slot him into 10 the more touches the better.

As for the result against Samoa, I think 2 things are worrying:
1. To win so much primary ball on yours and your oppositions ball and create so few chances would be ringing alarm bells.
2. The drop in quality in key positions for example the difference between Uelese and Mafi at hooker is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.