• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 Quarter Final NSFW Waratahs vs Otago Highlanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Beal had a pretty magic last 30 of the game.

First 50 was MIA,

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

He is a front-foot, confidence player. Interesting that he came into his own when they were getting quick, front-foot ball. He also defended better in the second half. It's not excusing anything, it's just an observation. His involvements in Foley's first try and Folau's try were very good.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Few turning points in that match.

Taqele's intercept a big one.

Any other wing would have run the full 100 metres and scored. But I guess he's not your usual run of the mill wing.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

What_the...

Peter Burge (5)
So, we beat the Highlanders twice, just lost to the Crusaders ( although we shouldn’t have), and just lost to Chiefs and Blues. Not a bad effort really, had we had a decent ref panel for the ‘saders game we would have won that and we would have won 3 of 5 games against NZ opposition. We deserved to be on top of the Aussie conference and it’s not surprising we are in the semi’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So, we beat the Highlanders twice, just lost to the Crusaders ( although we shouldn’t have), and just lost to Chiefs and Blues. Not a bad effort really, had we had a decent ref panel for the ‘saders game we would have won that and we would have won 3 of 5 games against NZ opposition. We deserved to be on top of the Aussie conference and it’s not surprising we are in the semi’s.

It's a little bit surprising, I would say! I mean, the past few weeks and the first half today - yeeesh.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's a little bit surprising, I would say! I mean, the past few weeks and the first half today - yeeesh.
If Naholo doesnt cheat like a cheating cheater then they concede one try and still smash us. He should have had a yellow for that professional foul earlier on. Grub.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What_the...

Peter Burge (5)
Do you guys reckon that they were sealing off the ruck almost every occasion? I thought it was pretty blatant but Gus obviously didn’t share my observations....

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Do you guys reckon that they were sealing off the ruck almost every occasion? I thought it was pretty blatant but Gus obviously didn’t share my observations..

No, but I thought he was a bit loose on the concept of tackler "release then play the ball" - looked to me like there was often no clear release.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Highlanders were very good at smashing players not in possession. We just copped it.
"It looked like he was going to get the ball ref!"
Ned Hanigan certainly did the wrong thing in his charge (early in the second half I think) but it did signal a change in attitude from the Tahs.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We went to bed at half-time. Just could not stand the pain of yet another dismal defeat.

This is hard to process. Am I awake now, or in the middle of a dream? Anyway, some days it is good to be a fan of Australian rugby, with all its faults and weaknesses.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If Naholo doesnt cheat like a cheating cheater then they concede one try and still smash us. He should have had a yellow for that professional foul earlier on. Grub.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mind you I think Hanigan (late and no arms) was pretty fortunate not to get a yellow, so I wouldn't even say too much there Mate!!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Fuck me dead, I've watched them for years. Tight games, last 10 they run around like headless chickens. Occasionally it pays off (2015), so often it doesn't.

Reckon the Tahs could do something in the semi. Can't see anyone going past the Saders though.

Mate, when 2 teams take the field, they both get equal chance of winning!!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
But anyway in the end I thoroughly enjoyed whole game, tahs certainly deserved the win, they really put the foot on the throat when the Clan had Naholo in bin! really impressed with Tahs whole attitude in second half, and have to say there must be a lot of people starting to eat their words about gibson's coaching ability! Also the critcs of the number of Tah's players in Wallabies.

Geez and to just read about boy with spinal injuries in Brisbane college rugby yesterday just seems to have made all this unimportant! Know it nothing to do with this thread but .......

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Very assured reffing from Angus.
Explained his decisions clearly and was obviously in control even though he wanted to play a secondary role to the players.
Good work.
Took another dive this week - will look good on his highlights package. :D

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Cyclo, What_the..., "a propos" the sealing off rucks, i thought last night it was happening a bit also, but both ways. IMO i think Gus Gardner refs it so that if the defending side has already lost the chance to steal a turnover then he lets it go, ie the sealing off did not prevent a steal, as the contest was already lost. on the other hand if the defender is still in the contest for the ball, then he will penalise the attacking team if they seal off. just my observation of how it seemed to go.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Mate, when 2 teams take the field, they both get equal chance of winning!!

Well sure. That's a fantastic philosophy to have if you're a player, and an underdog. As a neutral observer it matters nought.

Very assured reffing from Angus.
Explained his decisions clearly and was obviously in control even though he wanted to play a secondary role to the players.
Good work.
Took another dive this week - will look good on his highlights package. :D

He is (IMO) the best referee going in Super Rugby at the moment. The current Kiwi contingent are sorely lacking and the best SA refs are plying their trade elsewhere.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well sure. That's a fantastic philosophy to have if you're a player, and an underdog. As a neutral observer it matters nought.

He is (IMO) the best referee going in Super Rugby at the moment. The current Kiwi contingent are sorely lacking and the best SA refs are plying their trade elsewhere.

Well as a Canes man I got to believe anyone can win!!!;)

I agree Gus seems to have finger on pulse of game, but actually think most aren't as bad as 'experts' on here would say!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can anyone explain how Hanigan didn't get yellow-carded for the late, no-arms contact with Sopoaga? Probably didn't matter in the long run but to me it was a pretty obvious Yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.