• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Big change though for 9 given the tennis only goes for two weeks.

If they have a similar arrangement to 7 then they’ll have 4 weeks in January with the Hopman, Brisbane Int, Sydney Int and Kooyong leading into the Aus Open, and then they’ll have Davis Cup and Fed Cup throughput the year.......

But certainly won’t have that constant product throughout those summer months.

Not much should change with the tennis though as Tennis Australia (not channel 7) have been the host broadcaster for a while now and handle the actual production.........

I’m not really familiar with the background of the cricket operations on whether that’s actually been handled by 9 or outsourced like most other sports.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Twiggy's mate Kerry Stokes and Seven may also be looking at extending their rugby coverage?. It's cheap now if you think Super rugby is in a downward spiral.
It would also be a very low risk/cost, high reward bet on Twiggy eventually coming out on top in this current saga.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
why? are they still broadcasting some Shute Shield games?

It’s a familiar product that fills a weekend afternoon programming hole for NSW/ACT markets in place of AFL............

I doubt they would be pursuing anymore rugby at this time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Twiggy's mate Kerry Stokes and Seven may also be looking at extending their rugby coverage?. It's cheap now if you think Super rugby is in a downward spiral.
It would also be a very low risk/cost, high reward bet on Twiggy eventually coming out on top in this current saga.

Most of the dollars for the rugby broadcasting is based on the Wallaby tests.

With Foxsports pushing hard for sports content I don't really think you can suggest that the cost of sporting content is cheap now. It's basically Foxtel's big play and the FTA networks are pretty much in the same boat because it is the only content that people really need to see live.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
It’s a familiar product that fills a weekend afternoon programming hole for NSW/ACT markets in place of AFL....

I doubt they would be pursuing anymore rugby at this time.

fair enough, what about the cheap investment in Twiggy, they could lock up the potential massive rewards if Super rugby doesn't make the grade for little or no cost.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
fair enough, what about the cheap investment in Twiggy, they could lock up the potential massive rewards if Super rugby doesn't make the grade for little or no cost.

Sure, but would WSR sell their long term rights for very little if they thought those rights would be worth much more in a couple of years' time?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hypothetically if Twiggy wants to pay a network to broadcast the Force games, I’m sure they might oblige strictly in WA only..........

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
This could be good news for rugby, actually. If 10 lose the Big Bash then you would think it makes them even more keen to retain the right to Wallabies games.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
This could be good news for rugby, actually. If 10 lose the Big Bash then you would think it makes them even more keen to retain the right to Wallabies games.

I understand the logic here but I think it also puts them at risk long term of Ten going for a juggular and trying to poach AFL/NRL which would put us in a lot of trouble. Particularly with CBS coming in with a content acquisition strategy!

But for short term, good news.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rugby doesn't really have any particular requirement for the FTA broadcaster to be 10 though. Foxtel taking cricket should increase the need for 9 and 10 to want other sporting content which will hopefully be beneficial.

It is also being strongly predicted that Foxsports will bring out a subscription service for sport only at a lower price point that could only be good for rugby.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Rugby doesn't really have any particular requirement for the FTA broadcaster to be 10 though. Foxtel taking cricket should increase the need for 9 and 10 to want other sporting content which will hopefully be beneficial.

It is also being strongly predicted that Foxsports will bring out a subscription service for sport only at a lower price point that could only be good for rugby.

Bad for the rest of Foxtel, which is completely fucking redundant.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Bad for the rest of Foxtel, which is completely fucking redundant.

I think it shows where the value lies in the business and the direction they have been heading by making the head of Foxsports the CEO of the whole company.

They still have some big shows and a lot of decent shows that people would love to have on Netflix etc. and probably pirate now because they can't justify the cost of Foxtel.

There are so many good TV shows out there now though that access to a particular show isn't really a compelling reason to pay for Foxtel. You can pirate that show if you really want it or for most of the shows, just not watch them because there are tons of other good shows to watch. Game of Thrones is really the only show that makes people outraged that they can only watch it legally on Foxtel.

Status
Not open for further replies.