• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
For the record the TV ratings that get posted here are the averages over the length of the program, occasionally we'll get the peak views (most watching at any one time)

Twitter views are really measuring something completely different

Interesting experiment for WSR though!

Would be interesting to find what the average viewing period was per view.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Interesting experiment for WSR though!

It's not an experiment.........
It's Minderoo's response to market research on how people, especially millenials, want to watch their sport.
It's reaching out to an entirely new demographic.......
Twitter feed will be an ongoing part of World Series Rugby.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It's not an experiment...
It's Minderoo's response to market research on how people, especially millenials, want to watch their sport.
It's reaching out to an entirely new demographic...
Righto. You should probably mention this to Nick Marvin

We will continue to experiment with our broadcast as well and testing the value of Twitter on a global scale is an obvious step,” he said

https://www.westernforce.com.au/world-series-rugby-goes-global/

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It's not an experiment...
It's reaching out to an entirely new demographic...

Mate, settle down. It's a good number but without knowing what the average viewing period was it's a little early to declare it a victory. Especially in terms of being able to monetise it via advertising packages etc. I'm a fan of looking to use Twitter and other social platforms in the broadcasting mix and am supportive of WSR's use of the platform. If it proves fruitful than I'll be all for it. But let's just wait and see.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Righto. You should probably mention this to Nick Marvin

The Twitter feed option was mention by Andrew Forrest in one of his early IPRC announcements - when talking about creating a new match-day experience and reaching out to new audiences - long before Nick Marvin came onto the scene.
A bit like having Western Force games on free-to-air and still pulling good crowds.

Addition: I recall that the attraction with Twitter was to also make WSR available throughout the Indo-Pacific region with a low-cost option (particularly throughout the Pacific island nations). Making WSR available without having to have Pay TV.

Mate, settle down. ......it's a little early to declare it a victory.

Thanks WCR - I've no reason to settle down. And where was I declaring it a victory? (whatever that means). Feeling quite relaxed actually as rugby in the West is shaping up very well.
I was was simply providing comments to the forum and providing background to a situation as I understood it.
Isn't that what forum's are all about?

In the same way I'll keep posting about World Series Rugby and the Western Force as the coverage elsewhere is fairly thin and inconsistent.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Regular season now done

Oz Super Ruby averaged around 55k, 10% up on last year and higher than the A-league average (around 50k)

Reds and rebels were around the same, Brumbies ratings up a fair bit and Tahs were down

In aggregate, the increase in ratings is down almost entirely to the lack of 9:30pm Force home games which (unfortunately) rated very poorly over the last few years

The average excludes Sunwolves home games which don't rate here is Aus

Most concerning is there were no games. >100k - Reds v Tahs in Brisbane the highest with 90k

Note - this is all based on published overnight results, the actual numbers will be a bit higher if and when the press get hold of them

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I do wonder what effect the Wallabies mid-year tests have on the last few rounds of Super Rugby.

Do people forget Super is on? Or do they not want to go back to chicken sambos after three weeks of prime rib?

I wonder if its the latter, and the exhilarating Australia/Ireland series has exacerbated the issues of Super Rugby by showing people just how good our game can be - tribal, physical, well attended etc.
I forgot super was back on was cranky too as the Brumbies beat the canes that week

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The game last night between the Canes and the Chiefs was a superb display in both attack and defense. Gee, what we would give for a couple of their second stringers, particularly in the backs.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
ok so, just for fun, what is the official allianz crowd attendance tonight? for the semi final and possibly the last game of the year in Australia

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It ain't going to be big.....
Din5CwSXsAALg3-.jpg:large

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Cantabs "extra seating" completely untouched, almost comical looking, was it a fenced off hazmat zone? Their rickety 1950's main stands half empty. For a playoff game.
NSFW cavernous stadium with great acres of empty seats.
The massive Ellis Pawk bathed in sunshine, a sea of red..... red empty seats.
Either the ticket prices were insanely presumptively greedy or no one gives a fuck. If its the former, Sanzar, READ THE AIR, C**TS. Televising your product worldwide with stadiums 15% full only serves to REALLY make it look like the comp is dying, a self-perpetuating narrative. Biff the local kids some free damn tickets or something

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Cantabs "extra seating" completely untouched, almost comical looking, was it a fenced off hazmat zone? Their rickety 1950's main stands half empty. For a playoff game.
NSFW cavernous stadium with great acres of empty seats.
The massive Ellis Pawk bathed in sunshine, a sea of red... red empty seats.
Either the ticket prices were insanely presumptively greedy or no one gives a fuck. If its the former, Sanzar, READ THE AIR, C**TS. Televising your product worldwide with stadiums 15% full only serves to REALLY make it look like the comp is dying, a self-perpetuating narrative. Biff the local kids some free damn tickets or something
Spot on, I think there was 18,000 for a game against last placed Sunwolves , due mainly to a shed load of tickets given away for a "Members day" promotion. Only 12,000 for a quarter final is not a good look for Super Rugby. It's a pity because it was a great game with tremendous atmosphere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
And it was so much fun! Plenty of banter the Kiwis sitting in front of us, I was ready to eat humble pie by half time. By full time it was high fives all round. To their credit the Kiwi guys in front of us were really cool and I'm sure I heard a couple of NSW, NSW from one of them... Ok maybe I'm dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.