• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2020 crowds and ratings

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I doubt Foxtel will give up their ratings numbers for Kayo. It puts them in a much stronger position negotiating rights if the other party doesn't know how many people are watching. Netflix famously never reveals how many people watch one of their shows.

How do they justify ad money? i guess they release the numbers under NDA's.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Australian reporting that 6x more people watched the Super Rugby on Saturday night than the a-league. Their Saturday game attracted only 9k viewers on Fox.

Im thinking this is a good thing for rugby, especially considering what Fox gave the a-league in their renegotiated deal

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The Australian reporting that 6x more people watched the Super Rugby on Saturday night than the a-league. Their Saturday game attracted only 9k viewers on Fox.

Im thinking this is a good thing for rugby, especially considering what Fox gave the a-league in their renegotiated deal

The key will be arriving at a competition structure that come relatively close to the A-League in terms of content. Do that and it will be very hard for Fox to argue that it wouldn't be worth at least the same amount as the A-League. Probably more.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The key will be arriving at a competition structure that come relatively close to the A-League in terms of content. Do that and it will be very hard for Fox to argue that it wouldn't be worth at least the same amount as the A-League. Probably more.

Bonus to Fox as well would be they only have to produce half the games as sky would do the other half in a Trans-Tasman comp.

Have heard production costs are around $40-70k per game depending on the content.

Grumped

Bob McCowan (2)
Ratings just for Foxtel:

Weekend of 24/25 July
Rebels v Tahs - 45,000
Force v Brums - 38,000
Saders v Canes - 34,000

Fri 31 July
Force v Rebels - 29,000

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Brumbies be reds 62k

Attachments

• 82D764BC-10D4-4065-B7AA-0662CC8C59DF.png
    82D764BC-10D4-4065-B7AA-0662CC8C59DF.png
    440.8 KB · Views: 188

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Fri August 7. Rebels / Brumbies - 50k - 8th
Sat August 8. Tah / reds 59. 12th
Canes / chiefs - 37k

A league on sat night 18k on fox and 55k on ABC.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
pretty ordinary numbers actually - though without the Kayo numbers its hard to know.
I have a lot of friends who have ditched Foxtel but signed up to Kayo.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
pretty ordinary numbers actually - though without the Kayo numbers its hard to know.
I have a lot of friends who have ditched Foxtel but signed up to Kayo.

Reds game was directly up against the Broncos one, and as shit as their season has been they did have a chance of winning it. Always going to hurt the ratings in that situation.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Reds game was directly up against the Broncos one, and as shit as their season has been they did have a chance of winning it. Always going to hurt the ratings in that situation.
The fact their season has been so diabolical and that they were in it is probably even more reason for people to tune in.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The fact their season has been so diabolical and that they were in it is probably even more reason for people to tune in.

100%. With the reds guaranteed a final and a top of the table clash against the Brumbies to round out the season it'll be interesting to see how those ratings go. The crowd numbers too.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Out of interest I wanted to see which teams were attracting the most viewers. Now this is a simplistic average of all games in Super Au that featured the respective team but it was a little surprising:

1. Tahs - 53,800
2. Reds - 52,714
3. Rebels - 50,333
4. Brumbies - 46,600
5. Force - 44,500
total average - 49,652

I only used the numbers that people posted here, so could be missing some data. But the Force had a great start with 70,000 against the Tahs which has been the highest watched game so far. But dropped off pretty precipitously after that. Don't know if that's because of people tuning out of them getting smashed. I was surprised the Brumbies pull less than the Rebels.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Out of interest I wanted to see which teams were attracting the most viewers. Now this is a simplistic average of all games in Super Au that featured the respective team but it was a little surprising:

1. Tahs - 53,800
2. Reds - 52,714
3. Rebels - 50,333
4. Brumbies - 46,600
5. Force - 44,500
total average - 49,652

I only used the numbers that people posted here, so could be missing some data. But the Force had a great start with 70,000 against the Tahs which has been the highest watched game so far. But dropped off pretty precipitously after that. Don't know if that's because of people tuning out of them getting smashed. I was surprised the Brumbies pull less than the Rebels.

Would be interesting to see how those numbers look when combined with Kayo figures. If the reports from earlier in the season regarding the ratio in relation to other sports being 2:1 then the average looks a fair bit healthier.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Would be interesting to see how those numbers look when combined with Kayo figures. If the reports from earlier in the season regarding the ratio in relation to other sports being 2:1 then the average looks a fair bit healthier.

Any reason the Kayo numbers arn't reported?.. and are those Foxtel numbers for all delivery modes - cable/sat & internet (Foxtel Now/Go etc..)?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

It would be interesting to see the difference between Friday and Saturday games. I pretty much watch every Saturday game and any Friday night game with the Reds. If the Reds are not on Friday I generally tape the game and watch it in about 25 minutes to see if anything major happened. I am too pushed for time on a Friday night.