• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2020 crowds and ratings

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
This is very interesting.

Just noticed a tweet from sports industry which might give an indication of a Kayo audience.

It's relating to an AFL game, but no reason why this wouldn't work this across the board.

It says the Carlton vs Western Bulldogs game got the highest rating for the round on STV of 325k (quoting some article), which included Kayo.

BUT

The actual Fox rating was publicly released as 218k, meaning we might be able to surmise that Kayo was 107k (or one third of the the total ratings).

This means each time we see a Fox rating for a game, can probably pump it up by 50% to get a truer indication of the actual eyes watching.
That reconciles with the Reds v Tahs game which had STV of 69k but 95k including a Kayo and Foxtel Go

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
This is very interesting.

Just noticed a tweet from sports industry which might give an indication of a Kayo audience.

It's relating to an AFL game, but no reason why this wouldn't work this across the board.

It says the Carlton vs Western Bulldogs game got the highest rating for the round on STV of 325k (quoting some article), which included Kayo.

BUT

The actual Fox rating was publicly released as 218k, meaning we might be able to surmise that Kayo was 107k (or one third of the the total ratings).

This means each time we see a Fox rating for a game, can probably pump it up by 50% to get a truer indication of the actual eyes watching.

I disagree as AFL/NRL have FTA audience. I'd suggest SRAu should actually have higher % of take up of Kayo.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sydney FC vs Wellington got 12k on Fox

Remember when they tried to tell us rugby was the 4th code.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
While the Reds Force got 47k

And this is why I think even an 8 team domestic competition could work. The FFA managed to securely $37m in funding for this season of the A-League. And what will be our lowest ratings game of this round drew nearly 4x the numbers. And why NZ should be more rational and look to a 10-12 TT structure that provides our market with more content.

As far as I'm concerned Fox threw down a marker for what they are willing to pay for an inferior product. They will inevitably make the argument over content. That's why we need to provide them with structure somewhere close to the 29 rounds the A-League offers. For us that would be 22 rounds.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sydney FC vs Wellington got 12k on Fox

Remember when they tried to tell us rugby was the 4th code.
Rugby as the third biggest sport from a tv audience has never been in dispute in my mind. You just have to see the media coverage of our situation to the coverage of the a-league dealings which has arguably been worse. One was plastered all over the back pages the other hidden in a dark corner.

Interesting they also got $32m for their renegotiated deal for next year. Down from $50-60m after been told it would be $10m. Foxtel were reportedly worried about losing subs from the football community if they low balled it so much that the league just upped and left the deal

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
And this is why I think even an 8 team domestic competition could work. The FFA managed to securely $37m in funding for this season of the A-League. And what will be our lowest ratings game of this round drew nearly 4x the numbers. And why NZ should be more rational and look to a 10-12 TT structure that provides our market with more content.

As far as I'm concerned Fox threw down a marker for what they are willing to pay for an inferior product. They will inevitably make the argument over content. That's why we need to provide them with structure somewhere close to the 29 rounds the A-League offers. For us that would be 22 rounds.

10-12 teams, 18-22 rounds, 2 Bledisloe Cup games held during the season (1 on or around ANZAC day) with the 3rd played as part of a single round Rugby Championship including Japan and Fiji. That way even if the Bledisloe series is 2-0 the 3rd game won't be a dead rubber, and if it's 1-1 the 3rd game would be doubly significant.

Or if the RC remains a double round robin just have the 1 in season game (ANZAC test) and the final 2 as part of the RC.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Why do we need ANZAC Day bled? Just run to aus v NZ teams. Hurricanes v Brums (battle of the capitals), tahs v Blues (big city) rivals etc

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Why do we need ANZAC Day bled? Just run to aus v NZ teams. Hurricanes v Brums (battle of the capitals), tahs v Blues (big city) rivals etc
The rest of the market is jam packed that weekend, I’d say it would be smart business to not over compete and just have a single focal point.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)

I think it would have the potential to be the biggest ANZAC day sporting event and a guaranteed sell out every year. But mainly I believe it would be better to avoid dead rubber games so whether you play a Bledisloe game on ANZAC day or not it would be good to have at least 1 during the Super Rugby season (or whatever its successor(s) are called), so that the final 1 or 2 games are part of the Rugby Championship.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
That all makes sense. I guess I just don't like the idea of stopping the provincial competition mid way and also not giving the team the ability to prepare properly for a one off test.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think it would have the potential to be the biggest ANZAC day sporting event and a guaranteed sell out every year. But mainly I believe it would be better to avoid dead rubber games so whether you play a Bledisloe game on ANZAC day or not it would be good to have at least 1 during the Super Rugby season (or whatever its successor(s) are called), so that the final 1 or 2 games are part of the Rugby Championship.

Marketing wise playing a Bledisloe match is a brilliant idea - note to Hamish let’s lock it in.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Both teams would be in the same position regarding preparation and it'd be interesting to see how they adapt. You could have a weekend of Australia vs NZ games. Maori AB's vs Australia A, a Women's match, Schoolboys and u-20's, maybe some sevens games.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Ben Kimber is running a poll on the Twitter to try to get a line on Foxtel v Kayo numbers for rugby watchers. It's about 50/50 at this stage.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ben Kimber is running a poll on the Twitter to try to get a line on Foxtel v Kayo numbers for rugby watchers. It's about 50/50 at this stage.
Problem with this is that the people that will respond are already online. Looking at the first games figures when combined with streaming it was 2:1 people watching on Foxtel

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
I doubt Foxtel will give up their ratings numbers for Kayo. It puts them in a much stronger position negotiating rights if the other party doesn't know how many people are watching. Netflix famously never reveals how many people watch one of their shows.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I remember someone informed saying you add 50% of the Foxtel numbers to get the total. Given all sports don't include the streams, I think if you just assume the proportion of Foxtel to Kayo is the same across all sports you don't really need to know the Kayo numbers and just compare across codes.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I doubt Foxtel will give up their ratings numbers for Kayo. It puts them in a much stronger position negotiating rights if the other party doesn't know how many people are watching. Netflix famously never reveals how many people watch one of their shows.

They also offer kayo to capture wider market who won’t lock into Foxtel contracts - future is kayo but Foxtel is legacy cash cow seeking to milk while they can