• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2020 Super Rugby Round 1 (REDUX): Reds v Waratahs

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
While would have liked tahs win given I thought we would be smashed far from disappointed as we are back baby - to me gotta get fans back from this as great contest, Local rivalry and the rule changes were absolutely awesome for better free flowing rugby and fan experience.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Referee's association should complain to RA about Kearns. Berry is only human. Comments like the ones he keeps making really undermine the entire game.

Horan agreed with Kearns re the Hegarty 'knock-on' and with the harshness of the final penalty. I realise it's in the laws, but refs need to use a bit of common-sense in ruling on the roll away law. Swindon clearly made an effort, but was pinned by several Queenslanders and didn't obstruct the ball at all

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
- Harrison has to be the front runner for the gold 10 at this stage. Wasn't even factoring in his kicking but with that it's a no brainer.
- Swinton firms for the 6 too with his physical aggression.
- Tupou never learns does he? Thorn can't tolerate that shit for much longer.
- Not sure why JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't take every kick.
- Maddocks finally played well...
- Ramm looks decent, Tahs missing punch in the centres I thought (hint USE TEPAI) and went a little wide too often. Hunt would help I guess.
- Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) has to go until he learns to defend.
- I think the Reds replacement lock was completely anonymous - I understand he's the 5th choice and everthing and young and just came into the side but worrying sides for Reds lock depth with Blyth likely missing next week too. Lineout shocking all game.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I've got to say I was really underwhelmed by the Reds tonight. Tah's much better than expected. Us Aussies have a lot of work to do if they are going to match it with NZ.

Great to see some AU Rugby though and to see where some of the young players are really at.

Yeh but if nzru would get over there retarded stance of closed borders they might realise many of us would engage more in a competition not purely defined by national boundaries (ie think nrl and warriors) - retarded thinking holding rugby back in this region

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And what we all feared. The Reds penalised because of that stupid new dropout rule. McReight puts in an awesome chase to tackle Hooper in goals and he gets rewarded with the ball back on their halfway line?

Fucking outrageous.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
- Harrison has to be the front runner for the gold 10 at this stage.
- Tupou never learns does he? Thorn can't tolerate that shit for much longer.
- Not sure why JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't take every kick.
- Maddocks finally played well.
- Ramm looks decent, Tahs missing punch in the centres I thought (hint USE TEPAI) and went a little wide too often. Hunt would help I guess.
- Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) has to go until he learns to defend.
- I think the Reds replacement lock was completely anonymous - I understand he's the 5th choice and everthing and young and just came into the side but worrying sides for Reds lock depth with Blyth likely missing next week too. Lineout shocking all game.

Interesting summary - Joey Walton did not notice too much but equally don’t recall any bad play from him... but for many like me there has to be more positives then negatives about tahs performance tonight

dru

Tim Horan (67)

But then I felt BOTH Liam Wright AND Fraser McReight outplaced Hooper at 7.

Harris v Wilson is the interesting one. Wilson was pretty quiet and Harris did well but overall that will be an interesting battle.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Horan agreed with Kearns re the Hegarty 'knock-on' and with the harshness of the final penalty. I realise it's in the laws, but refs need to use a bit of common-sense in ruling on the roll away law. Swindon clearly made an effort, but was pinned by several Queenslanders and didn't obstruct the ball at all

I agree that Hegarty knocked on. I thought that Swindon's effort to get out of that ruck was largely theatrical.

The point I am more trying to make is the incessant whinging from Kearns about the refereeing and calling out Berry personally over and over is just lame. It cheapens the spectacle and if it was a club football match he'd be told to shut up or bugger off.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
That Tahs winger Ramm looked good - never heard of him before. I was impressed by the Tahs backs especially given their inexperience.

Tupou and discipline - wasn't Thorn and his 'tough stance' meant to sort that out. It seems like he is the big bully player whose infringements are overlooked because he intimidates the opposition.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Apart from the scrum, very, very ordinary.

Never used the midfield, Hegarty was there for one reason and one reason only :mad:

Law variations are shite. Can we just play rugby please.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
That was a wonderful game.

I feel dirty saying this, but the Tahs deserved that. Reds were a team with ADHD.

Swinton - lock him into my Wallabies team. Loved him earlier in the year, but thought he was a blunt instrument, but that inside ball and a few of the other passes he through were rapiers.

Harrison - fuck yeah, love him.

Paisami continues to be a beast, I reckon he'll end up at 12 with Petaia at 13 and farrrrk.....i'll take that. We'll even give you back Pasitoa to make sure you've got a good 10 to feed them.

Tupou needs a snotklap to grow up.

I can't wait till Rennie gets his hands on this group of young lads coming through..........

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
That Tahs winger Ramm looked good - never heard of him before. I was impressed by the Tahs backs especially given their inexperience.

Tupou and discipline - wasn't Thorn and his 'tough stance' meant to sort that out. It seems like he is the big bully player whose infringements are overlooked because he intimidates the opposition.

TBF, that's exactly what Thorn was. I don't mind a little bit of bastardry, just be smart about it.

Thorn was, Tupou is still learning the art of timing.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Bell pretty far off being the next big thing. Maddocks pretty good as a 15, like how he runs tryline to tryline.

Bell is ok - just showed where got to get to against one of best in tupou - don't write that guy off at 19 years old!!!