• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2020 Super Rugby Round 1 (REDUX): Reds v Waratahs

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I actually thought the 2nd late hit by Tupou was absolutely fine and he's now getting penalised on reputation. But that's his fault and he needs to adjust and be better than fine.

It wasn't just reputation, but it also didn't really need to be given. Pretty "maybe, maybe not" penalty really.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I actually thought the 2nd late hit by Tupou was absolutely fine and he's now getting penalised on reputation. But that's his fault and he needs to adjust and be better than fine.

I tend to agree, not much in it but he had already been spoken to by Berry and had, had a number of other similar events so it was just daft.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Getting destroyed by Tupou whilst only 19 years old with a well known weak scrummaging back 5 behind you. CRUCIFY HIM

He got well outplayed - which means yeh relegated to bench probably appropriate...but NO I won't crucify him as Tupou is without doubt one of the best world props in the world (my view - moreso where at vs potential to improve).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Getting destroyed by Tupou whilst only 19 years old with a well known weak scrummaging back 5 behind you. CRUCIFY HIM

Crap mate I forgot you do the witty responses - yeh I get it - you were actually agreeing ie 19 years old with well known weak scrummaging locks (Simmons.......and Hanigan also in the questionable zone)....ok get it

dru

Tim Horan (67)

I can't remember, but didn't Bell have Simmo behind him?

Bell did not deserve the YC, he did deserve to be pinged by those poor early scrums. And yes, he has time on his side. Let's see how he goes. Pretty decent around the field.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Crap I missed this - got kayo subscription and so rugby deprived even tried to watch local nz super rugby derby replays - but I just can't engage on something that offers no connection ...

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Agreed. And tupou also got lots of press too early, nobody calls him the Tongan Thor any more.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Yes, bell is ok. And will be good in time, he’s just been talked up too much too early in my opinion.

Matt Giteau talked about this (the tendency to talk up the next best thing) and I agree. We (and the media) need to lay off on the expectations around some of these players. It was like all the attention on Nawaqanitawase earlier this year. Just let them play some Rugby first.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It wasn't just reputation, but it also didn't really need to be given. Pretty "maybe, maybe not" penalty really.
Asking for it after already being penalised for the same thing tho. Tupou is a phenomenal athlete but he doesnt play smart.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Asking for it after already being penalised for the same thing tho. Tupou is a phenomenal athlete but he doesnt play smart.

Not sure if the coached roles were "smart" but Tupou's role was to bounce the kicker. He did. Not even a split second in it.

Unfair to call it dumb play, imo.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Hard not to argue the better side won but geez they almost bottled it.
Vintage reds
More tries, too many missed kicks. Nail biter in the end
Not a great advertisement for the standard of Oz rugby.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
- Harrison has to be the front runner for the gold 10 at this stage. Wasn't even factoring in his kicking but with that it's a no brainer.
- Swinton firms for the 6 too with his physical aggression.
- Tupou never learns does he? Thorn can't tolerate that shit for much longer.
- Not sure why JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't take every kick.
- Maddocks finally played well.
- Ramm looks decent, Tahs missing punch in the centres I thought (hint USE TEPAI) and went a little wide too often. Hunt would help I guess.
- Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) has to go until he learns to defend.
- I think the Reds replacement lock was completely anonymous - I understand he's the 5th choice and everthing and young and just came into the side but worrying sides for Reds lock depth with Blyth likely missing next week too. Lineout shocking all game.

Normally I would agree about what Thorn should do, I actually said to the wife tonight, it is hard to watch your favourite player when he makes dickhead mistakes.

After a while, I settled down and thought about what Tupou had done and realised, what other 135kg THP even gets to the kicker more than once in a game? At the start of the 2020 Super Rugby season pre-Covid-19 he was also the only player backing up when a line break occurred on a couple of occasions.

He is frustrating, but worth working on, he offers so much energy to be involved that he is still an asset despite his brain farts.

Maddocks looked great and at home at 15.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I assume the plan is to have Tupou attack the kicker because he’s so quick across the turf at that short distance. The issue is he’s never going to be able to pull up in time after the charge down attempt. Might be worth the Reds reconsidering whether it’s worth risking a penalty/card for the possibility of a charge down given that the referees basically blow the whistle for any contact on the kicker.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
just finished a late replay of it.
Solid NRC game compared to SRA. but really a lower standard - hopefully ponies and rebels lift the standard.
Both teams embarrassed themselves with childish niggle.
Tah 6 needs to learn to wrap his arms - other refs might not be so lenient
Reds were underwhelming
Angus Bell will live and learn.
If Hegarty cant kick goals why is he there.
Reds backrow youngsters were physically touched up by less skilled but certainly more physical Tah backrow.
between 60min and 70min Tahs were penalised 2 or 3 times for not rolling away - ref asked Simmons to talk to team. cant complain when they get pinned for it again and reds kick a pen.
why couldnt we see a better camera shot of Hegarty's touch... ? was hard to tell from the angle they showed.
also good defensive line speed from the tahs