• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2020 Super Rugby Round 1 (REDUX): Reds v Waratahs

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
I was there. After a few slow early minutes, I thought it grew into a really good, absorbing contest. Full credit to the Waratahs - they did much better than I thought they would. Lots of feeling in the match which I loved - Swinton was hitting and jawing off to everyone which was brilliant too see! One of my favourite moments in the match came after the final whistle. Game over with the Reds winners, and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) ran over to our end of the grandstand and gave a big, fist pumping roar of delight to the crowd. It meant a lot to them to win, but to also have the support of the fans. Bring on more Super Rugby AU!

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Even though Kearns is a notoriously poor commentator I was surprised he questioned the yellow card. Carding props who are getting done over has been around for a while now. Everyone knows the onus is on the prop to be up to it. Whatever else was happening behind him Bell was getting worked over. That’s the trade off a coach has to allow for when he picks a guy like Bell who is fantastic around the field but not quite there at scrum time.

He’ll be better for it though.
You do know that Bell is dating Kearn’s daughter. Enough said.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I’m a bit torn on the yellow card, it feels wrong for a young front-rower in a domestic comp where the skill differentials are reasonably high but I know if Tupou was doing that in a Wallaby jersey I’d have been very happily calling for the opposition to be binned.

I have never agreed with a yellow card for scrum penalties unless it is a deliberate breach of the rules. Sometimes you just cannot compete with the strength and skill of your opponent and this cannot be fixed.

An opponent may just be a genetic freak who cannot be held back within the rules and this should not mean you get a yellow card.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Kids are off-limits, should not be lambasted for the sins of the father

Phil K on the other hand.....

kearnstears_zpss8rkexjt.jpg

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I have never agreed with a yellow card for scrum penalties unless it is a deliberate breach of the rules. Sometimes you just cannot compete with the strength and skill of your opponent and this cannot be fixed.

An opponent may just be a genetic freak who cannot be held back within the rules and this should not mean you get a yellow card.
But the coach has a choice. He can pick someone like JP Smith who gives you comparatively little around the field but is sound in the scrum or someone like Bell who is the opposite. I’m completely happy with a system which places a premium on scrummaging because those big blokes have to be accountable and, by and large, it means they are slightly less athletic which creates opportunities for the attack.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, I noticed that. I am a bit disappointed though that Horan didn’t needle him a bit to wind him up some more.

On a completely non-rugby matter, how good was Horan’s metallic silver mullet at half-time??? Edit : Dismal I’m a bit surprised/disappointed that it hasn’t already got a run in one if your posts.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
I was there. After a few slow early minutes, I thought it grew into a really good, absorbing contest. Full credit to the Waratahs - they did much better than I thought they would. Lots of feeling in the match which I loved - Swinton was hitting and jawing off to everyone which was brilliant too see! One of my favourite moments in the match came after the final whistle. Game over with the Reds winners, and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) ran over to our end of the grandstand and gave a big, fist pumping roar of delight to the crowd. It meant a lot to them to win, but to also have the support of the fans. Bring on more Super Rugby AU!

You could see the difference between the young players and the experienced ones. McReight and Wilson celebrating like it was a finals game and the older boys just happy with the win. Love the passion coming through.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Even though Kearns is a notoriously poor commentator I was surprised he questioned the yellow card. Carding props who are getting done over has been around for a while now. Everyone knows the onus is on the prop to be up to it. Whatever else was happening behind him Bell was getting worked over. That’s the trade off a coach has to allow for when he picks a guy like Bell who is fantastic around the field but not quite there at scrum time.

He’ll be better for it though.
Kearns is a blight.

Those scrum yellows are prettt harsh imo though. The point of a scrum is to restart play and unless something cynical is happening i dont see why a good old fashion thumping should result in a yellow.

Dont blame the bloke for getting done in by Tupou.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I actually saw that post by McDuling on the Twitter. I agree with him entirely. When it's a 5-10m scrum like that it should be a penalty try, that will be enough of an incentive to make sure props are up to it, but they also have to play to get experience. In other parts of the field maybe march the offending team 10m for a full arm penalty with no option for a scrum.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
- Harrison has to be the front runner for the gold 10 at this stage. Wasn't even factoring in his kicking but with that it's a no brainer.
- Swinton firms for the 6 too with his physical aggression.
- Tupou never learns does he? Thorn can't tolerate that shit for much longer.
- Not sure why JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't take every kick.
- Maddocks finally played well.
- Ramm looks decent, Tahs missing punch in the centres I thought (hint USE TEPAI) and went a little wide too often. Hunt would help I guess.
- Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) has to go until he learns to defend.
- I think the Reds replacement lock was completely anonymous - I understand he's the 5th choice and everthing and young and just came into the side but worrying sides for Reds lock depth with Blyth likely missing next week too. Lineout shocking all game.

One game in a bit early to be making some of these calls Q51.

Harrison has a fair way to go to displace Lolesio in the race for the 10 jersey, but in any case, Matt To'omua is aalmost certain to have that job this year.

Have been a Swinton fan since U20s WC. He likewise has a way to go yet to replace Valetini or Samu.

JOC (James O'Connor) has had a foot injury apparently that has stopped him taking kicks recently. Looks like he'll have the job now though.

Maddocks is a skillful player. Just needed to play 15.

Ramm looks good on the wing. Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) is currently only half a rugby player.

I thought the replacement lock was good. Reckon he had more touches than some of the others who had more game time.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
On a completely non-rugby matter, how good was Horan’s metallic silver mullet at half-time??? Edit : Dismal I’m a bit surprised/disappointed that it hasn’t already got a run in one if your posts.
had to google this.

wft

that's not a mullet. Where I'm from that's just a very classy distinguished hairdo. Like a CEO or some shit.

That'll need a LOT of MS-Paint sculpting to enter mullet territory