1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2020 Super Rugby Round 1 (REDUX): Reds v Waratahs

Discussion in 'Rugby Matches' started by RugbyReg, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Up the Guts Mark Loane (55)

So for the Tahs’ backs I’d have:

9. Gordon
    10. Harrison
    11. Mark N
    12. Tepai
    13. Foketi
    14. Newsome
    15. Maddocks

Unsure about the wingers, however. Any other suggestions?
  2. Jimmy_Crouch Trevor Allan (34)

Malouf.
    Up the Guts likes this.
  3. Up the Guts Mark Loane (55)

Ease him into XVs from the bench or straight in?
  4. TSR Peter Johnson (47)

Nah - it’s a master stroke. You guys should pick Mitchell Pearce at half back too.
    Silverado and Up the Guts like this.
  5. Jimmy_Crouch Trevor Allan (34)

I'm guessing Sio Lisala didn't stick around so that leave you with current squaddies Clark and Ramm with the 7s boys Angus Bell (yes same name but different bloke from the prop) and Nick Malouf who has plenty of 15s experience from his time at Leicester Tigers.
    Up the Guts likes this.
  6. Up the Guts Mark Loane (55)

I’m not sure Angus Bell is ready yet, certainly I can’t see him being favoured over Mark N. Like you said before, Malouf seems to be the best candidate but perhaps they won’t start him first game back.
  7. Up the Guts Mark Loane (55)

Probably be stories from Gal’s decorated boxing career, just hope hearing how he had to dig deep in his fight against Barry Hall doesn’t leave the boys too emotionally shaken.
  8. Jimmy_Crouch Trevor Allan (34)

I'd imagine they would go with Ramm prior to Malouf initially.

The centre combinations interest me the most as I've always thought Hunt was a 12 and Clark a 13. You have Foketi (undecided on best position) Moeroa (most likely 12), Newsome (11 or 14 but not a 13) and Walton (haven't seem him enough)
  9. Up the Guts Mark Loane (55)

I was pretty underwhelmed by Hunt in the first few games. We know what we get with him anyway so I’d prefer to roll the dice on Moeroa. Definitely hope the experiment with Newsome at 13 is over.
  10. pnut Sydney Middleton (9)

I’d go with tepai 12 Malouf 13 newsome to the wing
  11. Froggy Cyril Towers (30)

For mine Ramm has been the pick of our wingers in his couple of appearances so far. May not be as clever as mark N, but just as quick, a stronger runner and can tackle. Mark needs to develop physically a little more I think.
    I like UTG's side, except my wings would be Clarke and Ramm. I would have Short, Hunt and Mark N on the bench.
    In the forwards, I think the front row of Bell, Abel and HJH pick themselves, I would like to see Simmons and Ned as the locks, with a backrow of Tafa, Dempsey and Hooper. Tom Robbo, Tuala, Talakai, Holloway and Harris on the bench.
    Rugbynutter39 and Up the Guts like this.
  12. grievous Charlie Fox (21)

Chris Handy busy?
  13. Up the Guts Mark Loane (55)

Ramm and Clark are very solid defensively, perhaps a good combo against the Reds who have been deadly out wide.
    Rugbynutter39 and Silverado like this.
  14. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

Who is signing Ben O'Donnell? He'd be my first 7s player signed. unless he is injured?
  15. Jimmy_Crouch Trevor Allan (34)

Did his ACL in Jan. Only bloke happy the Olympics were postponed
    RugbyReg likes this.
  16. Blackadder John Solomon (38)

Penney: "Gordon give it to Angus Bell"

Gordon:"Which bloody one?"
  17. TSR Peter Johnson (47)

Gee I’m hanging out for this game. I’ve got to admit I am very jealous that the NZ conference has got a head start - but only 5 days to go.

I am hoping there is going to be plenty more comments and banter in the week leading up to the game - but I’m going to start the week off a bit differently and throw some praise towards a couple of NSW players who I am looking forward to watching.

I‘m really looking forward to seeing Harrison go around. Obviously I’m hoping he’s playing behind a forward pack getting pumped, but I’ve been impressed by this kid and, let’s be honest, we need a long term 10. I’m conscious O’Connor is only 29, Lolesio is travelling well and then there are others coming through but after a decade of having such limited options I really want us to have a few top flight options battling it out.

The other two I want to go well are Angus Bell and HJH. Rugby wisdom tells us props really don’t hit their straps until they’re mid to late 20s, but there is something great about watching 2 young blokes who couldn’t give a stuff about reputation. And, as excited as everyone is by Bell, I still love you watching HJH just rip in.

Finally - I’d love to see Harris get a gig.

Other than that - screw NSW. Lessgoboys.
  18. Blue Andrew Slack (58)

Hang on.

Hang on.

So we are:

1. Adopting a bunch of league rules.
    2. Seeking motivation from an ex league player.

Not all too sure about this.
  19. kiap Mark Ella (57)

20. WTF? Watty Friend (18)

Just rang Foxtel to get Sport back on to my package in time for the weekend. Was not going to let up until I had a deal.

$14.50 per month for 6 months - happy with that.
    Hound, RebelYell and liquor box like this.