• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2020 Super Rugby Round 2 - Waratahs v Force

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Hanigan did a lot of "work". That's his thing. To the casual viewing, flashy always gets eyeballs more than work, but that might be why he got some votes (they'd have had stats on work-rate at hand). But I thought Staniforth, for example, probably had more impact.
Personally I look at impact on a match - how did they change the game. Hooper just did a shitload of work (impact), hard to say Ramm had a huge impact but was good in his role; Hanigan solid but not flashy (not huge impact I reckon). I actually thought, value for time-wise, Hunt was in the top 3 for the Tahs. Big impact for the time on field (irrespective of potentially dodgy 50/22 calls!).
I didn’t think Hanigan played badly but he didn’t really leave a mark on the game. I agree, I also look more at impact when I think about best on ground. I guess the problem last night was there wasn’t necessarily anyone who had an overly influential impact on the course of the match.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You need some units to do the work so those with the ability to do that special stuff can do it.

It is only at the top of test rugby do you have those who can do both week in/week out

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Some notes on various players:

Joey Walton had a much better game than his debut. Certainly less nerves. Made his tackles (ESPN says 10 tackles without a miss) and carried decently. Didn't make an error. I think he gets replaced by Hunt but he is going alright. Given where he sits in the depth chart (not on a full contract), he's done well.

Mark Nawaqanitawase improved as the game went on. His first two or three touches involved losing the ball, firstly running himself into touch and trying to make an impossible offload and secondly offloading for no reason after taking a high ball and getting tackled. He mostly just needs to dial it back and realise that if he throws two offloads a game and they are good he'll end up being a premier offloader. After that he took the ball into contact and recycled it more rather than looking for the miracle play. He's an exciting talent but he's got to work on his core skills first, particularly his defence which did seem better against the Force (albeit he wasn't tested much).

James Ramm had another excellent game. Made several breaks, kicked well and is looking like a really good prospect. Has plenty of pace and is really elusive. He often breaks tackles even though he isn't big. Looking this good against the Brumbies will be a big test though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The try the Waratahs let in was very disappointing. It was just a lack of effort realigning after each phase. The two phases before the try we made dominant tackles and neither of them resulted in particularly quick ball for the Force so to end up short on numbers for Ralston to go over in the corner was poor. Good finish by Ralston though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Nawaqanitawase needs to do better, he doesn't seem to like contact, too many 50/50 passes to players not in a better position and lack of confidence in defence

He needs to be prepared to hit units in both attack and defence

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I didn’t think Hanigan played badly but he didn’t really leave a mark on the game. I agree, I also look more at impact when I think about best on ground. I guess the problem last night was there wasn’t necessarily anyone who had an overly influential impact on the course of the match.

Hooper was everywhere and in everything in defense and attack. Best on the park for sure.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Hooper was everywhere and in everything in defense and attack. Best on the park for sure.
I agree, I think everyone is so used to him being everywhere that it that it just gets overlooked. When McReight made a great chase last week and got to Hooper in the in goal the commentators were all praising McReight for putting in the effort to get there (as they should have) but not a word mentioned that it was of course the everywhere man who had got back to clean up for the Tahs in front of the wingers and other backs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
G

Ramm motm at the ground (you could vote multiple times so a few Joeys’ old boys may have got him over the line), he was easily the biggest attacking threat for the Tahs’ backs and someone who has really impressed me. Quite a hoof on him as well.

They fixed it so you can only vote once now.

A couple of seasons ago when they brought it in I voted 50+ times and rigged a couple of MOTM votes.

Certainly there aren't a lot of votes though (particularly with the tiny crowd on Saturday so a group of family and friends could definitely swing the vote by all voting).

Was it just me or did they announce Hooper as MOTM with about 90 seconds to go and then Ramm shot past him in the votes and they changed it?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Ramm doesn't look like much physically but he's been damn impressive so far.

I'm also enamoured by Maddocks at fullback. He just looks good. I'm not sure if he even is that good, but he looks good. Burke-esque.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
They fixed it so you can only vote once now.

A couple of seasons ago when they brought it in I voted 50+ times and rigged a couple of MOTM votes.

Certainly there aren't a lot of votes though (particularly with the tiny crowd on Saturday so a group of family and friends could definitely swing the vote by all voting).

Was it just me or did they announce Hooper as MOTM with about 90 seconds to go and then Ramm shot past him in the votes and they changed it?
When it first came on the screen Hooper was about 70% and Ramm close to 15%. I think people were just voting for the last place for the sake of it.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

I'm also enamoured by Maddocks at fullback. He just looks good. I'm not sure if he even is that good, but he looks good. Burke-esque.
He’s actually 6’3” and closer to 100kg than 90kg by my reckoning. He was definitely the biggest back out there for the Tahs on Saturday. He broke a couple of tackles in the second half but not in a Fijian sidestep sort of way so the physical dominance doesn’t come across on the tv.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I thought Maddocks work in contact in his limited test career has been poor and he needed to do a lot of work in that respect to be test quality.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
To me what you are seeing from the youngsters with game time is improvement - Joey Walton and James Ramm as case in point.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Maddocks efforts at 15 have been great but it does highlight his lack of effort when he was placed on the wing

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
According to Fox, penalties conceeded was 6-4 to the Waratahs at half time and full time 12-10 the Tahs. There were also 2 free kicks conceded by the Tahs, one in each half

Silver, that looks a bit ambiguous. Half time count penalties conceded, 6 - 4 to the Tahs. Full time count 12 - 10 to the Tahs. Is that still penalties conceded or penalties awarded? If awarded, does that make the second half count 8 - 4 awarded to the Tahs?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Silver, that looks a bit ambiguous. Half time count penalties conceded, 6 - 4 to the Tahs. Full time count 12 - 10 to the Tahs. Is that still penalties conceded or penalties awarded? If awarded, does that make the second half count 8 - 4 awarded to the Tahs?

Yes, penalties were 6-4 in the first half then 4-8 in the second half finishing with the Tahs conceding 10 penalties and the Force 12.

Probably a pretty reasonable reflection of the game. The Tahs dominated the second half possession and territory.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yes, penalties were 6-4 in the first half then 4-8 in the second half finishing with the Tahs conceding 10 penalties and the Force 12.

Probably a pretty reasonable reflection of the game. The Tahs dominated the second half possession and territory.

Thanks BH. That confirms my impression. Tahs certainly had the possession in the second half. Finished the game much stronger than they started it.

Thought Hooper had an outstanding game, and Maddocks is doing everything I expected he would when given the 15 spot. I continue to be impressed with HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes). Puts in a ton of work, invariably all of it quality.

TheNude

Peter Burge (5)

I quite like our back with 3. Nawaqanitawase may be carrying the early season hype on his shoulders and has been quiet but with Ramm and Maddocks have two rounded players with great boots and one outright finisher.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maddocks efforts at 15 have been great but it does highlight his lack of effort when he was placed on the wing

could it have been an attitude thing, watching kurtley at fb? dunno, i think maybe he just is an average winger and a better fb?

:shrug: