• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2022 Bledisloe Cup. Wallabies vs All Blacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Ok I not sure why him praising ref for making a decision is tone deaf to anyone. Ref made a call, he thought it right so said so, and he was asked, do you really want him to say?
Yeah you do, you just don’t want to accept it. Even as a kiwi fan you cannot deny the action by the ref was inconsistent with how he had ruled penalties all game, or how referees have ruled them all year at Super Rugby or Test level.

inconsistent and controversial officiating is ruining the game, as the ABs coach Foster shouldn’t be encouraging and promoting behaviour which detracts from the game for fans and players by praising these action.

Just because a controversial and Inconsistent decision benefited him personally doesn’t mean it’s in the spirit of the game, It’s incredibly disappointing that he has praised this action. No wonder he cops such flak in NZ.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
time wasting is the 10 minutes Wales took to put the ball into the last scrum at the RWC. Time wasting is every other scrum that takes 5 minutes because someone has to do their laces up. Time wasting is the team putting the ball into the line out taking 10 minutes to get there. Time wasting is the 15 minutes its takes the TMO to prove that that they are in control not the Ref, etc etc etc etc etc etc, NOT the 30 seconds it took to kick to touch. Get some perspective. None of us have ever seen that done, including you, especially in those circumstances. Sure, there was still a line-out to be contested, or as it turned out, we could have defended against the try, but you Dan, because, as you so often remind us "I lived there, I'm one of yours too" must understand how hard it has been for us to get to at least this stage, and how much pressure rugby is under here, that we could not afford this. The press is full of that one decision and the game, which was actually a cracker, isn't even mentioned. Its just reinforced the view that rugby is a bore-fest that's decided by a pedantic Ref. So please, if you really do have some sense of affinity with us, stop the sanctimonious comments, because everybody knows, you included, that it was a rotten call and as Andrew Mehrtens has said numerous times around referring decisions, its a nonsense to say that they even out over the game because some decisions are made at far more critical times than others and as a result have a bigger impact This was a critical time.
Think you quoted the wrong guy.. Im on your side and Australian... It's a shit call, ruined a good game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
time wasting is the 10 minutes Wales took to put the ball into the last scrum at the RWC. Time wasting is every other scrum that takes 5 minutes because someone has to do their laces up. Time wasting is the team putting the ball into the line out taking 10 minutes to get there. Time wasting is the 15 minutes its takes the TMO to prove that that they are in control not the Ref, etc etc etc etc etc etc, NOT the 30 seconds it took to kick to touch. Get some perspective. None of us have ever seen that done, including you, especially in those circumstances. Sure, there was still a line-out to be contested, or as it turned out, we could have defended against the try, but you Dan, because, as you so often remind us "I lived there, I'm one of yours too" must understand how hard it has been for us to get to at least this stage, and how much pressure rugby is under here, that we could not afford this. The press is full of that one decision and the game, which was actually a cracker, isn't even mentioned. Its just reinforced the view that rugby is a bore-fest that's decided by a pedantic Ref. So please, if you really do have some sense of affinity with us, stop the sanctimonious comments, because everybody knows, you included, that it was a rotten call and as Andrew Mehrtens has said numerous times around referring decisions, its a nonsense to say that they even out over the game because some decisions are made at far more critical times than others and as a result have a bigger impact This was a critical time.
Understand what you say yg, but it kind of gets ruined by the comment, because rugby is under pressure in Aus, doesn't mean the game should be treated any differently to rest of world if you understnd what I mean, I have just pointed out about SA fans being as upset as you over Paul Williams decisions etc. And same applies to press, games can't be reffed differently so Aus (or NZ etc) press don't make a big deal over it.

I will go as far to say if you had lost game by 10 points it would of done the game in Aus a lot more damage, the casual fans etc will be reading the paper and feeling outraged, and watching for the Wallabies to get so called fair go and win next test! I have seen it here in NZ with cricket too, (WC 1 day final etc) people finding a bad umpires call etc to convince themselves kiwis should of won, and turn out at next game to see justice done, and leave disappointed, and go back to hardly watching.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah you do, you just don’t want to accept it. Even as a kiwi fan you cannot deny the action by the ref was inconsistent with how he had ruled penalties all game, or how referees have ruled them all year at Super Rugby or Test level.

inconsistent and controversial officiating is ruining the game, as the ABs coach Foster shouldn’t be encouraging and promoting behaviour which detracts from the game for fans and players by praising these action.

Just because a controversial and Inconsistent decision benefited him personally doesn’t mean it’s in the spirit of the game, It’s incredibly disappointing that he has praised this action. No wonder he cops such flak in NZ.
So you would of been disgusted with Rennie for supporting Williams over the controversial decision againt Boks, where a lot of refs would of carded Korobite? Ok as you were mate, I thought Williams was right, and Rennie was right to say so.
But anyway decision was made etc, and I believe coaches should perhap support refs , not bag them so we will just agree we see it differently and leave it at that. I was against when Foster citicised the Georgian ref a couple of weeks back for same reason.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
So you would of been disgusted with Rennie for supporting Williams over the controversial decision againt Boks, where a lot of refs would of carded Korobite? Ok as you were mate, I thought Williams was right, and Rennie was right to say so.
I see you're deflecting.

Like I said, even as a kiwi fan you cannot deny the action by the ref was inconsistent with how he has ruled the application of penalties all game, or how referees have ruled them all year at Super Rugby or Test level.

Do you deny this?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't understand your comment but I'm probably not going to worry about it either. It was a very bad call and it made a big difference so people are entitled to be angry. The circumstances just make that anger more intense. I'm a level 1 Referee so I understand the difficulties of refereeing, so no further insights there. This wasn't a hard decision to make, he just made the wrong one. He could have so easily handled things differently and the whole narrative today, and for rugby in general, would be better. Maybe the result would have been the same, the All Blacks have done hat plenty of times, but the narrative would have been about the game, not the referee.
I was saying that complaining about What this decision and the end result does to the game in aus in general isn’t really a relevant argument, 90% of the rugby world doesn’t care.
I agree that it’s a bad call but I really do just have a big problem with the ample warning he got. That component is a bit farcical to me. People have said they will watch NFL instead. In NFL that’s a delay of game penalty all day long and the player does NOT get a warning from the refs. I just find the outrage ridiculous to be honest and absent that outrage I’d have posted my usual once a month rate.
how do you argue with all that warning?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I see you're deflecting.

Like I said, even as a kiwi fan you cannot deny the action by the ref was inconsistent with how he has ruled the application of penalties all game, or how referees have ruled them all year at Super Rugby or Test level.

Do you deny this?
Don't need to deny anything mate, I agree he was different to what we are used to, and you are deflecting, I merely stating I believe that coaches should support refs and you don't . It's ok mate, we see things differently is all.

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)
The mere fact that we have a bunch of Kiwi's on an Aussie forum desperately trying to justify the decision shows, at the very least, that it was highly unusual and controversial.

'Hey bro - if you don't kick it I will award a scrum'. I know English isn't his first language but lets be honest, he coulda just said that rather than ruining the end of a Bledisloe ay.

Lets at least try and let the players decide a match occasionally.
it'd get boring reading everyone in agreement. Need a bit more spice than that in my rugby discussion, lol

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Arguing that Foley was warned by the ref misses the point. The halfback is often warned to play the ball off a maul, and sometimes takes an age to do so with no consequences. Why should it be any different in this situation?

I agree there needs to be a crack down on time wasting, but please, the ref should introduce it in a consistent and helpful way.

The ref should have clearly said to Foley, if you don’t kick the ball in the next X number of seconds, you’ll lose it—not pull him up just as he’s about to kick it!

Having said all that, it is what it is. No use to keep complaining about it. Need to take it on the chin, and start thinking about what we can do to not let that happen again. That’s how we improve.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Querty: Are you really that pissed?
I am genuinely that pissed. Final straw pissed.
Watching the NRL and AFL finals next weekend pissed.
World rugby can go f@#k itself
4B661668-9F90-4242-9B8B-5EBD3AF00566.jpeg

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
My thoughts are that had Australia succeeded in slowing the game down and won ,the Aussie's would have called that a great victory,
but in reality it would be poor sportsmanship as you are not allowing your opponent to play.
Some say it's the first time it's happened but I think it's an excellent piece of refereeing to stamp cheating out of the game and I would have no hesitation in recommending that ref for the RWC.
Let’s all be thankful that you aren’t picking the refs then

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
When established idiots like Dan and Grant start wading in we know an issue has reached its nadir.
Geez and here's me not once thinking you were intelligent, lucky you can come in and prove you smarter tham some of us huh? Must make sure I take notice of your posts from now on, surely they better than this one.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
No mate, I would be disapoointed like you rightly are, but I can almost bet (and this is some of our fans) that Foster would of got blamed for our defence not being up to scratch ;). but I admit I don't get outraged etc, I am still reasonably sane after we lose etc , the day it ties me in knots I will get help.
So that's just me. I love the game, AB supporter to absolute core, but know at end of day it's a game and there is swings and roundabouts, and usually if you go back over a game it generally evens out decisions for and against. I also say it's ok to vent and feel you been robbed etc, if that helps you deal with loss.
I also say wasting time is costing us sports fans, for whatever reason, TMO, walking to lineouts etc etc.
In other words, I’m morally superior to all you psychologically damaged Aussie fans ;)

It must be hard when your team is 95% swings and only a couple of roundabouts. We all know rugby is the pride of NZ. If the ABs were to lose as much to the Wallabies, there would be no congratulations; it would be absolute mayhem in NZ. The nation would be depressed to the core. And I highly doubt you would be any different to the rest of us.

To be sure, Aussies can be very sore losers. But kiwis are not morally superior in this area.

Having said all that, I still think you’re a good bloke and I enjoy reading your comments.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
My thoughts are that had Australia succeeded in slowing the game down and won ,the Aussie's would have called that a great victory,
but in reality it would be poor sportsmanship as you are not allowing your opponent to play.
Some say it's the first time it's happened but I think it's an excellent piece of refereeing to stamp cheating out of the game and I would have no hesitation in recommending that ref for the RWC.
Do all those mental acrobatics tire you out?

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Understand what you say yg, but it kind of gets ruined by the comment, because rugby is under pressure in Aus, doesn't mean the game should be treated any differently to rest of world if you understnd what I mean, I have just pointed out about SA fans being as upset as you over Paul Williams decisions etc. And same applies to press, games can't be reffed differently so Aus (or NZ etc) press don't make a big deal over it.

I will go as far to say if you had lost game by 10 points it would of done the game in Aus a lot more damage, the casual fans etc will be reading the paper and feeling outraged, and watching for the Wallabies to get so called fair go and win next test! I have seen it here in NZ with cricket too, (WC 1 day final etc) people finding a bad umpires call etc to convince themselves kiwis should of won, and turn out at next game to see justice done, and leave disappointed, and go back to hardly watching.

I don't expect it to be treated differently than anywhere else in the world, but as far as I'm aware, and no one else has offered an example of a similar happening elsewhere, it hasn't happened anywhere else. You live in an environment of certainty that even if it didn't happen this time, victory is just around the corner. We don't. Fact is, it is a celebration for us to beat the All Blacks. Kiwis seem to think its us condescending to them whereas really it's a complement - we rate the All Blacks that highly, just like Ireland did, see how they celebrated, that to beat them is a big thing. We all thought this was that time, and then to have it pulled out from under you, and in those circumstances ....... The only comparable thing would be something like getting bumped out of the RWC - something like, F$%k, the opportunities passed, there is no victory tomorrow. It's a totally different mind set, but it's our reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.