• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
completely agree that randwick as a brand in the NRC would be hazardous, particularly because there would then be no recognisable pure sydney city team. Just advocating for the value having a good brand would be in this comp.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
At the risk of repeating myself: why would a beastie junior who thinks he's up to NRC play SS for the beasts and NRC for the wicks?

Unless it is shown that playing for a non-NRC aligned Shute Shield club greatly hinders your chances of playing in the NRC, I don't think it will make much difference.

It is in both the ARU and the SS club's interests that the NRC teams are not a direct reflection of the SS club from that team.

If it is then that NRC team will struggle to compete and ultimately won't survive in the NRC.

Retired Fatty

Frank Row (1)
The article I read in the SMH on Friday suggests that Randwick aren't stand alone - they will be joined with Easts & UNSW (who presumably will be fronting up the majority of the cash).

2 clubs and a uni all virtually next door to each other in one of the more affluent areas of Sydney so make perfect (well as near as we'll get) sense.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It is in both the ARU and the SS club's interests that the NRC teams are not a direct reflection of the SS club from that team.

Its not in the SS club's interests: if they can lure the fringe NRC players to the SS club from other SS clubs their SS club will be stronger. The attraction for the player lies in the direct connection and the greater likelihood of his playing with better players who are also NRC players.
Hence my rider about complete separation.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Its not in the SS club's interests: if they can lure the fringe NRC players to the SS club from other SS clubs their SS club will be stronger. The attraction for the player lies in the direct connection and the greater likelihood of his playing with better players who are also NRC players.
Hence my rider about complete separation.

How long is that going to take?

These NRC teams will not survive long enough to dictate the longer term club choice of players if they only pick their own players in the first year or two.

I don't think any SS club has the rescources to plan to have a struggling NRC team for a couple of years but then hope that their selection policy eventually makes their SS side stronger.

If that is their aim, they may as well use a small part of what entering an NRC team is going to cost and pay players more to play SS for their club.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
How long is that going to take?

These NRC teams will not survive long enough to dictate the longer term club choice of players if they only pick their own players in the first year or two.

I don't think any SS club has the rescources to plan to have a struggling NRC team for a couple of years but then hope that their selection policy eventually makes their SS side stronger.

If that is their aim, they may as well use a small part of what entering an NRC team is going to cost and pay players more to play SS for their club.
It will take no time at all.
Its not about the "struggling NRC" team and its not about their motive for entering an NRC team.
A number of Gordon juniors, with very high profiles, have headed over to Randwick already.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Its not about the "struggling NRC" team and its not about their motive for entering an NRC team.
A number of Gordon juniors, with very high profiles, have headed over to Randwick already.

On the basis that they think Randwick will have a standalone NRC team and that playing for Randwick will give them a better shot at making that team?

If true, that is an absolutely ridiculous decision.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

Norths have lost a few over there as well, and I'm wondering why???

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
On the basis that they think Randwick will have a standalone NRC team and that playing for Randwick will give them a better shot at making that team?

If true, that is an absolutely ridiculous decision.

Braveheart, I couldn't agree more!
Any player who changes clubs now because he thinks he knows which teams are going to be in the NRC and because he thinks that will improve his chances of playing in the NRC is nuts!

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
and I'm sure I read in one of these threads, he told a young kid he must join the Wicks

Everyone knows someone who met someone once whose second cousin met a guy in a pub who told him that somebody's son was told to go and play at Randwick or Uni or Easts or.....;)

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Norths have lost a few over there as well, and I'm wondering why???

No idea, Dave, but maybe they saw the number of experienced first graders who've left Randwick to go to other clubs since last season and thought there might be some vacancies in first grade. Hope they don't expect to get paid!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So assuming that Beale goes back to his old club Randwick and Carraro also returns to Randwick, there will be four contracted Tahs at Randwick.

There seems to be zero evidence to suggest that playing for Randwick gives you a better chance of being a Waratah now that Cheika is coach.

Maybe young players have been attracted to Randwick because they have been poor for the last few years and those players think they'll have a better shot of playing a higher grade quicker?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Braveheart, I couldn't agree more!
Any player who changes clubs now because he thinks he knows which teams are going to be in the NRC and because he thinks that will improve his chances of playing in the NRC is nuts!
That's not what is being put: what is being is that the influence is already being pedaled, it has been pedaled in the past and this just gives them another piece of influence.
Braveheart you need to be very jealous of the club crest you sport: I fear for them, though I am presently assured they have a plan and that I should not believe everything I write read on here. Go figure.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So assuming that Beale goes back to his old club Randwick and Carraro also returns to Randwick, there will be four contracted Tahs at Randwick.

There seems to be zero evidence to suggest that playing for Randwick gives you a better chance of being a Waratah now that Cheika is coach.

Maybe young players have been attracted to Randwick because they have been poor for the last few years and those players think they'll have a better shot of playing a higher grade quicker?
This is only his 2nd season and arguably the first in which he's been able to add some collateral terms to any contract.
Not sure why you defend them - which proposal are the Beasts a part of??

Status
Not open for further replies.