• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Suckerforred you say:

But they are all Queenslanders!!!! Beau for example

Just like Israel Folou, Jono Lance, Brendan McKibbin are all such born and bred Waratahs!! As was Nathan Gray, Jason Little, Brendan Cannon, Ben Mowen, Drew Mitchell, etc before them.

Yes Beau in from NSW and the 'tahs didn't want him - but I don't think Beau will be seen too often in a Reds jersey this year unless injuries hit the Reds backrow. I do think he will be formidable in the NRC whoever he plays for.

Yes Lachlan Turner is now a Red but again the 'tahs didn't want him.

It's just the way of the Australian S15 Franchises that guys will play for a number of different franchises throughout their careers rather than play for the state where they grew up.

Look at the Brumbies backrow - Mowen (Born:Bne/School:Villanova), Pocock(Zimb/Churchie), Jarrad Butler(NZ/TSS) all Queenslanders. Granted not all born in Queensland but they are Queenslanders just like Greg Inglis!!!!

Just on a cross code projection what odds the Waratah finishing atop the Australian Conference and the NSWRL Blues avoiding 9-0 in the SOO???

Who would win a State of Origin Rugby clash between Qld and NSW?

Most important thing is that no matter what franchise they play for we just want the Wallabies to be successful.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Suckerforred you say:

But they are all Queenslanders!!!! Beau for example

Just like Israel Folou, Jono Lance, Brendan McKibbin are all such born and bred Waratahs!! As was Nathan Gray, Jason Little, Brendan Cannon, Ben Mowen, Drew Mitchell, etc before them.

Yes Beau in from NSW and the 'tahs didn't want him - but I don't think Beau will be seen too often in a Reds jersey this year unless injuries hit the Reds backrow. I do think he will be formidable in the NRC whoever he plays for.

Yes Lachlan Turner is now a Red but again the 'tahs didn't want him.

It's just the way of the Australian S15 Franchises that guys will play for a number of different franchises throughout their careers rather than play for the state where they grew up.

Look at the Brumbies backrow - Mowen (Born:Bne/School:Villanova), Pocock(Zimb/Churchie), Jarrad Butler(NZ/TSS) all Queenslanders. Granted not all born in Queensland but they are Queenslanders just like Greg Inglis!!!!

Just on a cross code projection what odds the Waratah finishing atop the Australian Conference and the NSWRL Blues avoiding 9-0 in the SOO???

Who would win a State of Origin Rugby clash between Qld and NSW?

Most important thing is that no matter what franchise they play for we just want the Wallabies to be successful.

Izzy's from Leumeah. He lived the first 11 or so years of his life 10 mins from my place on the outskirts of Sydney. And correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Lance is from Queensland either.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Izzy's from Leumeah. He lived the first 11 or so years of his life 10 mins from my place on the outskirts of Sydney. And correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Lance is from Queensland either.

Which state would Dave Harvey align himself to, I reckon even he will be confused given his travels.

T

Tigers Tale

Lance was probably born in the ACT (when his father Dean was a Raiders legend) but I think he went to school at TSS (The Southport School) as did Matt Rogers (anor great NSWRU product who played SOO for QLD).

Waratahs have quite a list of former QLD SOO players who have run out for them:
- Rogers;
- Lote;
- Wendell;
- Izzy;
and then there is Berrick Barnes who went to Ipswich Grammar and played First Grade NRL for the Broncos.

Add to that list:
- Nathan Gray;
- Brendan Cannon;
- Jason Little;
- Ben Mowen;
- Drew Mitchell;
- Brendan McKibbin;
- Matt Lucas;

And it seems to me that the balance of trade is pretty well stacked in the favour of the Tahs with more Queensland products pulling on a Tahs jersey rather than the other way around.

Anyhow - how good are the Tahs looking this year? Have to be S15 favourites surely!!

Even Mr Pulver recons they are the goods - and he knows Australian Rugby better than anyone else!! With every team in Australia wanting to pay him another $200 just to play the game. Look I know that the ARU has its financial issues but can you see the AFL asking kids to pay to be involved in Auskick?? The NRC better work because in 15/20 years the standard of the game could be dire.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm not sure if Uni "need" the money but as a government entity there are probably some restrictions on how to spend it. Mr Livingston would have no such restriction.

I think the ground aspect would play a big part as well.

We may well need Bruce Ross to confirm Uni's status as a government entity (or not) and what, if any, restrictions their sports clubs have on raising and spending money.

I would think that anyone would be able to hire Leichhardt Oval as long as they paid the fees. The Tigers play about 3 or 4 home games a year there, so I don't think overuse would be a problem.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I would suggest rather than looking at it from arrangements to get money, they're arrangements so the ARU would recognise them since they wouldn't allow stand alones or teams named for already existing entities.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm not sure if Uni "need" the money but as a government entity there are probably some restrictions on how to spend it. Mr Livingston would have no such restriction.

I think the ground aspect would play a big part as well.

We may well need Bruce Ross to confirm Uni's status as a government entity (or not) and what, if any, restrictions their sports clubs have on raising and spending money.

I would think that anyone would be able to hire Leichhardt Oval as long as they paid the fees. The Tigers play about 3 or 4 home games a year there, so I don't think overuse would be a problem.
I don't think that Sydney University Football Club could be classified as a "government entity". It receives support from Sydney Uni Sport & Fitness but the great bulk of its expenditure is raised by the Club's own efforts. As for "what, if any restriction their sports clubs have on raising and spending money", the only areas I can think of where both Sydney Uni Sport & Fitness and the University itself would be likely to interfere would be if a club was considering sponsorship from a tobacco or gambling company.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Tom Waterhouse would be an obvious exemption though,surely?
His mum is very proud,says he's a chip off the old block....
Whoops,maybe not then....

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I don't think that Sydney University Football Club could be classified as a "government entity". It receives support from Sydney Uni Sports & Fitness but the great bulk of its expenditure is raised by the Club's own efforts. As for "what, if any restriction their sports clubs have on raising and spending money", the only areas I can think of where both Sydney Uni Sport & Fitness and the University itself would be likely to interfere would be if a club was considering sponsorship from a tobacco or gambling company.

Thanks for that. Pretty much what I thought the club's status would be.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The SMH reported a couple of weeks ago that Easts were in with Randwick/UNSW - which would then mean that all SS clubs are aligned with 1 of the 4 Sydney teams so make sense

Although I think that Randwick's insistence that the team play home matches at Coogee Oval and wear green jumpers has seen Easts and Souths jump off the bandwagon.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
The SMH reported a couple of weeks ago that Easts were in with Randwick/UNSW - which would then mean that all SS clubs are aligned with 1 of the 4 Sydney teams so make sense

Although I think that Randwick's insistence that the team play home matches at Coogee Oval and wear green jumpers has seen Easts and Souths jump off the bandwagon.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
and I wonder why they think they can get away with making those demands?????

Coogee Oval is probably the best of the three alternative venues, but it is ludicrous for a combined team to wear only one of the possible team colours.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I think if they were smart (since they cant use the randwick name) they could leverage the mungos and call it south sydney and play at randwick.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Wouldn't the new refurbished Redfern Oval have better facilities that Coogee Oval?

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=96

Not only is it rectangular, but has a length of the field stand similar to Rat Park and dressing room facilities would be about 70 years ahead of what's at Coogee. IIRC the away rooms have barely headroom for a dwarf in some parts and the referees have to make a rather precarious walk down rickety timber stairs from their room. There is also the cricket pitch which affects the eastern part of the field at Coogee.

Isn't this competition supposed to be 21st century not 19th?

Status
Not open for further replies.