• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
its also right near a station and from what Ive seen from outside has been upgraded really nicely. Particularly if this competition goes well and south sydney do their thing with maroubra, you could hijack the lease from sydney city at the end of the rabbitohs lease in 2019

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Bgpj5YuCQAIm4BH.jpg:large

I'll also blatently post this which I posted on twitter a few days ago.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I love them.

StKilda-140-2013.gif

287579re23qh0.jpg

Insert a shitload more pictures of jerseys from all sports that have hoops.

Retired Fatty

Frank Row (1)
[
Although I think that Randwick's insistence that the team play home matches at Coogee Oval and wear green jumpers has seen Easts and Souths jump off the bandwagon
I think the article was post the breakdown of the Souths/Easts/Randwick JV on the basis that it includes Souths in the Greater Sydney team.

Rumour (unsubstantiated) is that the ARU are pressuring for Easts to be included with Randwick/UNSW (i.e. its a condition of them being accepted) as they are the only SS club who haven't got themselves aligned and it is geographically the logical fit (plus recent history would suggest that the Randwick SS team will need strengthening to compete in the NRC)

T

Tigers Tale

Rugby Future I love your team names and strips but the two you've given to the Queensland sides simply won't work in the Brisbane market place.

1. South Qld Cutters - too similar to the defunct ARL South Qld Crushers;

2. Dolphins are synonymous with the Redcliffe Rugby League club - even when the latest RL team for the Gold Coast wanted to use the Dolphin all hell broke loose and that's how they ended up as the Titans.

You are also assuming that no Brisbane club will be stand alone - which may not be the case. By all accounts two South Queensland clubs have been pushing hard for stand alone status. Both are closely connected to Universities. Which would mean that there could be 3 Queensland teams!

And in your teams model is the Sydney Uni/ Balmain JV the Sydney Stars?

Your Stallions looks very Gordon to me.

Do you not think they will steer away from ARC connections?

I just can't see how the Cockatoos can work?

If Melbourne get to use their Rebels brand then don't you think the Brumbies and Force will want to do likewise.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
[

I think the article was post the breakdown of the Souths/Easts/Randwick JV on the basis that it includes Souths in the Greater Sydney team.

Rumour (unsubstantiated) is that the ARU are pressuring for Easts to be included with Randwick/UNSW (i.e. its a condition of them being accepted) as they are the only SS club who haven't got themselves aligned and it is geographically the logical fit (plus recent history would suggest that the Randwick SS team will need strengthening to compete in the NRC)

That all sounds logical to me.
As for the name of the team and who calls the shots etc, my previous cryptic comment was that in all of these JV arrangements, my guess is that different parties will bring different contributions to the entity. That may then determine which party leads and takes control and which one doesn't.
I am only surmising all of this however if for example, Easts are not kicking in the same as the others they would not expect to run the show.
That is my guess and that logic applies to all the syndicates.
These are just normal business & organisational principles.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Makes complete sense to me MACCA.

I wouldn't like to see a situation where Easts are left out - I assume that Randwick and Easts have been unable to put aside petty differences to make it work. I'd suggest that Randwick need to give on the green jumpers at Coogee Oval position that they've adopted.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Makes complete sense to me MACCA.

I wouldn't like to see a situation where Easts are left out - I assume that Randwick and Easts have been unable to put aside petty differences to make it work. I'd suggest that Randwick need to give on the green jumpers at Coogee Oval position that they've adopted.

Well i think they are going to make a great first round game for the SS

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Rugby Future I love your team names and strips but the two you've given to the Queensland sides simply won't work in the Brisbane market place.

1. South Qld Cutters - too similar to the defunct ARL South Qld Crushers;

Yeah these are only theoretical. Some of them I went with names that are already known and others where from theoretical names and brands I made when the comp was first announced.

The reason I chose cutters was because the timber industry was one of the first in south queensland, and it also had connections with ideas of water as well. Though I approached the colouring knowing that they'd at least initially be positioned on the gold coast (from all accounted rumours) and did what the suns did, taking the colours from the lifesavers. Then I adjusted with the only known rep of south queensland as a whole which was the crushers. I struggled to come up with any other name however. Obviously all brands can be improved with local knowledge, I've not been to brisbane before.

2. Dolphins are synonymous with the Redcliffe Rugby League club - even when the latest RL team for the Gold Coast wanted to use the Dolphin all hell broke loose and that's how they ended up as the Titans.

I think you'd find that redcliffe and the NRL would be different to redcliffe leagues and the ARU. Redcliffe from my understanding have a significant pull up there for league but I doubt that would curtail over to rugby. But I do understand what you mean by the brand association. Though I just searched and they do seem to have a trademark on the word dolphin (http://www.ipaustralia.com.au/appli...t-rugby-league-football-club-inco/trademarks/) . Still, theoretical and its a good match so meh

You are also assuming that no Brisbane club will be stand alone - which may not be the case. By all accounts two South Queensland clubs have been pushing hard for stand alone status. Both are closely connected to Universities. Which would mean that there could be 3 Queensland teams!

From what I've heard there have been 11 bids for ten spots accounting for the adelaide black falcons who I'm fairly sure have bid, the five nsw teams, melbourne, perth and canberra, that leaves QLD with the 2 that the QRU were bidding for. I could be wrong though. They were expecting 12.

And in your teams model is the Sydney Uni/ Balmain JV the Sydney Stars?

That is what that bid is currently called. That is also their logo.

Your Stallions looks very Gordon to me.

Thats because its a combination of the myrtle green and horse theme from the wicks with the black and gold of UNSW. I also felt that closely resembling the mungos would be a strong way to leverage the brand with the name "South Sydney", with the gold hoops a unique way to keep the green and incorporate a slight variation on the rabbitohs.

Do you not think they will steer away from ARC connections?

From all accounts the North Harbour Team are called North Harbour Rays after the ARC and I know that the Western Sydney team is called the Greater Sydney Rams

I just can't see how the Cockatoos can work?

Heard they had big money, but I agree. Still the idea was to get as close to the bids I thought went in as possible.

If Melbourne get to use their Rebels brand then don't you think the Brumbies and Force will want to do likewise.

Brumbies are not the type who use their brand cross competition. Also they are in a partnership with tuggaranong. The rumour was they would revert to the kookaburras brand and I think this would be very strong in the canberra rugby community. Force proably will resurrect their "Perth Spirit" name, but I didn't like that and thought The Pythons would be cooler and more suitable. Though again, I'm not a local, this was just practice.

Sidenote: checkout some of the IP the superleague had at one stage, including the "brisbane brumbies" http://www.ipaustralia.com.au/applicant/super-league-pty-ltd/trademarks/

T

Train Without a Station

Wouldn't the new refurbished Redfern Oval have better facilities that Coogee Oval?

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=96

Not only is it rectangular, but has a length of the field stand similar to Rat Park and dressing room facilities would be about 70 years ahead of what's at Coogee. IIRC the away rooms have barely headroom for a dwarf in some parts and the referees have to make a rather precarious walk down rickety timber stairs from their room. There is also the cricket pitch which affects the eastern part of the field at Coogee.

Isn't this competition supposed to be 21st century not 19th?

Where's the fucking romance in that though QH?

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
But Pete, what's the go with the cricket pitch?
hahah Dave, being a former player and staunch supporter of the wicks you might expect me to feel as if we are entitled to a stand alone, play at coogee and wear the myrtle green. After all long before Uni were the team people love to hate the Wicks held this mantle.

In reality Im also a big supporter of Australian Rugby and want to see the NRC work. With the Wicks on field performance in recent years and financial issues I think it maddness that they would be able stand alone. UNSW , Easts, Randwick makes sense. As for fields Waverley Oval has been revamped and is far more likely to pull a rugby crowd then redfern.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
oh shit but think Waverley Oval has a cricket pitch as well ;) I think the Sydney East team has to try and tap into the private school rugby supporters (scots,cranbrook, waverley) as like it or not their are probably supporters of both Randwick and Easts who will have a hard time supporting a JV Club and snub the comp altogether. Here in lie the challenge of probably every team and the competition as a whole.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
In reality I'm also a big supporter of Australian Rugby and want to see the NRC work. With the Wicks on field performance in recent years and financial issues I think it madness that they would be able stand alone. UNSW , Easts, Randwick makes sense.

Pete, (coach and various others), you guys contribute allot of good content to the forum and I was always mindful not to over step the line and be critical of Randwick, not because of their history or brand but because as a club they are looking and doing good things.

Your above post is the perfect example.

I've always asked, whats the difference between the ARU, and Australian Rugby (Union)? I ask this question because prior to Bill I thought the ARU put themselves on a pedestal that was above the good of rugby (perceived IMO).

Well ARU (Bill) put it out there to the Australian Rugby and said lets build a 3T, how would you like it to look, and you have a vested interest in it. It's not only got the clubs involved, its got people like us providing ideas.

As for this $200 that Bill has pulled out of grass roots pockets, yeah it sucks but he has tried to offset it in cost reductions. Plus divide that by how many kids at the club - a steak sandwich each person approx. I'll buy 2 next time at each game I go to so I am chipping in.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If Eastern Sydney rah rah types can't bring themselves to go to Redfern Oval (can't have the beemer oogled by unsavoury types, sniff), isn't the UNSW David Phillips Field at Daceyville rectangular without a cricket pitch, plenty of parking for cars (away from the rif raf) and with a stand and dressing rooms which are better than those at Coogee?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Pete, (coach and various others), you guys contribute allot of good content to the forum and I was always mindful not to over step the line and be critical of Randwick, not because of their history or brand but because as a club they are looking and doing good things.

Your above post is the perfect example.

I've always asked, whats the difference between the ARU, and Australian Rugby (Union)? I ask this question because prior to Bill I thought the ARU put themselves on a pedestal that was above the good of rugby (perceived IMO).

Well ARU (Bill) put it out there to the Australian Rugby and said lets build a 3T, how would you like it to look, and you have a vested interest in it. It's not only got the clubs involved, its got people like us providing ideas.

As for this $200 that Bill has pulled out of grass roots pockets, yeah it sucks but he has tried to offset it in cost reductions. Plus divide that by how many kids at the club - a steak sandwich each person approx. I'll buy 2 next time at each game I go to so I am chipping in.

Dave, I just wish the ARU would announce the teams and hopefully provide their reasoning behind the selection of the teams.

As far as Randwick (or any other team other than Uni) standing alone, I'd suggest that we'd really need to see the tender submitted to understand how a single club believes they could run a team in the NRC.

I was quite frankly gobsmacked to see Randwick had submitted a stand alone tender and, like others, I don't see how they would have the resources to make it work. But again I'm not privy to the contents of the tender. As far as players are concerned, I'm also confused as to how the ARU are going to allocate the S15 players to the NRC teams.

Using Randwick as an example they have the following S15 players:
Beale -- assume he would be in the Wallaby squad
Kepu -- as above
Carraro -- should be available for NRC
Horwitz -- should be available for NRC

I think the announcement from the ARU said that about 13 S15 players (not required by the Wallabies) would be allocated to each NRC team, depending on the number of teams, plus a few development palyers. So Randwick would receive say 15 players who have no connection to their SS team plus presumerably Carraro and Horwitz, hence the Randwick NRC team would bear little resemblance to the SS team.

So it all seems a bit surreal to me.

Or have I misunderstood something???

T

Train Without a Station

Apparently the Rebels are banking on having 16 of their 35 available for the NRC. The exclusions are allegedly:

1. Players in the Wallaby Squad
2. Players who are off-contract and not re-signed
3. Players on leave

Interestingly there is no mention of players singed for 2015 being included in that. I was told that players who are signed for 2015 will not be signed until after the NRC, which I found odd because it is often not the case and some signings may be made during the Super Rugby season in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.