• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

9 Rounds In, Who's your Wallabies Captain

Who Should Captain

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
^^^Perhaps not the first picked, but the captain needs to be a secure member of the team who is picked as a player first and appointed captain second.

I have to disagree I think if you have captain abilities that should have added points in deciding if you are in the team. So even if you are maybe 2nd in line your captaining expertise should help you get over the line. I don't think either Hooper or Pocock are captain material anyway at this stage so I don't think its relevant to my opinion. Moore is miles ahead.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Quade has a lot to do to get a gig specially being injured again at the moment he be behind Foley, To'omua, Lealifanio even Beale .. Not on Talent, but on game time Foley gets the nod at the moment with T man at 12..

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Moore no question. Certain starter, keeper of standards, tactically astute, seniority, hanging around next year etc.

Slipper for VC.

No formal fucking "leadership group" or "standards group". 1 skipper and a VC and that's it

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wouldn't have Slipper as VC as he'll play even less game time than Moore............

Preferably give it to the likes of Pocock/Hooper and someone in the backs such as To'omua, Cooper or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Quade has a lot to do to get a gig specially being injured again at the moment he be behind Foley, To'omua, Lealifanio even Beale .. Not on Talent, but on game time Foley gets the nod at the moment with T man at 12..

Surely not behind Beale?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
So an injured To'omua is okay but an injured Cooper is not? Seems like a double standard. Which team do you support again?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's not really an apt comparison..........

Cooper hasn't played much rugby for the past two years, and has just suffered his third serious injury in that time.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Having said that, I would love Cooper to be back playing how he was in 2013, under the supervision of Bernie...............

I don't have confidence that we'll win a RWC with Foley at flyhalf.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I was shit stirring more than anything else. Cooper has barely played for a long time now.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
So an injured To'omua is okay but an injured Cooper is not? Seems like a double standard. Which team do you support again?
Woooooooohhhooo sunshine.. lol.. Cooper gets some games under his belt I'd pick him..

On form he plays the best rugby... and gets the best girls lol..But he is 2013 end of season form where To'omua is 2 weeks away smashing people...

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I like the pairing Moore (c) and To'omua (vc), but I think you probably need to give at least one tah player a letter next to their name, otherwise the nsw players will rise up and destroy the team from within

:D

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I like the pairing Moore (c) and To'omua (vc), but I think you probably need to give at least one tah player a letter next to their name, otherwise the nsw players will rise up and destroy the team from within

:D
Nah they only do that when their is a 'C' next to their name.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Moore no question. Certain starter, keeper of standards, tactically astute, seniority, hanging around next year etc.

Slipper for VC.

No formal fucking "leadership group" or "standards group". 1 skipper and a VC and that's it

I wonder if it's a 'culture' thing?

Was listening to Brad Thorn the other night and he was talking about the difference in the AB team after the 2009 season and they had a strong core 'leadership group' I suppose with himself, Mils, Carter, McCaw and maybe a few others. He didn't go into details of who was in it but he talked about what a big difference it made and how they were able to have what he called really tough conversations, both from the player's and coach's point-of-view.

I suppose it depends on who's in it and the make-up of your squad in general maybe?!? I dunno but the leadership group thing seemed to really make a massive difference in the ABs according to him.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
I suppose it depends on who's in it and the make-up of your squad in general maybe?!? I dunno but the leadership group thing seemed to really make a massive difference in the ABs according to him.

It sounds like a group of senior players decided they were tired of disappointment and decided to become accountable; this includes calling a spade a fucking shovel. In Australia our senior players are having their mums complain about suspension on twitter or lobbying for a player who is clearly in the wrong. Give me Moore or Slipper any day. They're honest toilers, and that's what the team needs right now.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
I wouldn't be able to deal with To'omua being vice captain. How could you have someone with a man bun leading the team? Even if it is only for the last 20 minutes. Cut off the bun and then we have a deal.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It sounds like a group of senior players decided they were tired of disappointment and decided to become accountable; this includes calling a spade a fucking shovel. In Australia our senior players are having their mums complain about suspension on twitter or lobbying for a player who is clearly in the wrong. Give me Moore or Slipper any day. They're honest toilers, and that's what the team needs right now.

and both will be off around 50 to 60 minutes, again I ask in those final moments do we trust to finish off the game.

A more radical approach maybe to start say Slipper off the bench and have him finish off the game with Sio starting

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I think David Pocock has all of the attributes that a captain requires. He is cool under pressure, is not embroiled in controversy off the field, has a way with refs and is possibly the best player in the team. He is mine.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)

Was listening to Brad Thorn the other night and he was talking about the difference in the AB team after the 2009 season and they had a strong core 'leadership group' I suppose with himself, Mils, Carter, McCaw and maybe a few others. He didn't go into details of who was in it but he talked about what a big difference it made and how they were able to have what he called really tough conversations, both from the player's and coach's point-of-view.

yeah i imagine when Brad Thorn looks at you and says "you were shit last night, i'm going to belt the poor attitude out of you at training" you take your lumps and do anything to avoid making that glint in his eye get more dangerous, like getting mum onto twitter for you.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
yeah i imagine when Brad Thorn looks at you and says "you were shit last night, i'm going to belt the poor attitude out of you at training" you take your lumps and do anything to avoid making that glint in his eye get more dangerous, like getting mum onto twitter for you.

while smacking the selfie-stick attached, twitterer's phone out of his hand

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

I think there's a lot to that. Every successful team needs a group of guys who represent the required standard and hold other guys accountable. It's not like we haven't had guys like that in the Wallabies over the years either, but as others have said we've had a generation of young players come through who occasionally forget what those standards are. Guys like Moore, Slipper, To'omua, Fardy, Pocock and McCalman strike me as non-nonsense men of integrity, who get the absolute most out of themselves as players and expect the same of their team mates.

With that said, coach, captain and vice captain are what's required IMHO. You can't have too many voices, but you can have guys who set the right example every day they walk out on to the training paddock or into a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.