• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders Who Represented the Wallabies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
After spending a few weeks in Aboriginal communities a few years back, it's an absolute crying shame we don't try and get the kids hooked on the sport.

The kids are willing to give anything involving a ball and running a shot, even with an ingrained love of AFL. They're all extremely athletic and a more inclusive approach would be wonderful for Australian rugby and struggling communities alike. Just looking at the some of the names of indigenous who have worn gold is an indicator that there is talent out there.

But the game has to be taken to the communities by the ARU, otherwise generation after generation of uniquely gifted aboriginal kids will fall to AFL.
"the game has to be taken to the communities by the ARU". I should live so long.

Admittedly it is probably unfair to single out the ARU over their inaction. Over the years I have tried to persuade or influence various organisations to take a proactive role with regard to indigenous advancement with singular lack of success. There is a lot of attention currently given to corporate social responsibility but there seems to be a disconnect between social responsibility and indigenous issues.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
You must understand what I am trying to show here. Most foreigners believe that South Africa has one group of Blacks that speak one language and have one culture. Nothing could be further from the truth.

That have directly to do with the question I ask do the natives worry about Rugby in Australia. In some regions like the regions where the Bulls, Cheetahs and Lions are they do not care much about if and they grow up in a environment where football is the sport and they grow die hard supporters of it. You can't change that and that will never change due to its part of the culture. Eastern Cape is where you will find it in some homes. Western Cape due to its European influence you wiill find it played by most of the colored community.

And SA and Australia are not that different what one might thinks as Australia also had a immigration policy that kept Non Whites out of it in 1901. It came into affect in 1901 and was progressively dismantled after World War 2. SA like I said did not have Border control between 1910 and 1938 the black population grew by 30 million. In the end they did not know who was from another country or who was born in South Africa. So they tried the pass thing which was basically a passport/ID book to ID you as one. It failed

You must understand that there is not one 'Aboriginal' group either. From memory there are over 130 language groups across Australia (I would daresay that figure would be much higher once you factor in extinct languages and some small language groups actually get incorporated into larger groups). Most aboriginal people will identify themselves with 'country', ie, where they come from and have a connection to. This connection is complex and I will not go into detail here, as there is just not enough space.

My point is that emergence of a national Aboriginal identity is a relatively recent thing, and the level of social organisation is quite remarkable.

But anyway, rather than arguing about which country mistreated their native populations worse, why don't we get back to the task at hand; Indigenous people who represented the Wallabies.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
You must understand that there is not one 'Aboriginal' group either. From memory there are over 130 language groups across Australia (I would daresay that figure would be much higher once you factor in extinct languages and some small language groups actually get incorporated into larger groups). Most aboriginal people will identify themselves with 'country', ie, where they come from and have a connection to. This connection is complex and I will not go into detail here, as there is just not enough space.

My point is that emergence of a national Aboriginal identity is a relatively recent thing, and the level of social organisation is quite remarkable.

But anyway, rather than arguing about which country mistreated their native populations worse, why don't we get back to the task at hand; Indigenous people who represented the Wallabies.
The moment when sport was used as a political weapon that was the moment when politics will pop up in anything that has to do with race in sport.

In South Africa, multiculturalism refers to a mosaic of different cultures living within a rainbow nation. In Australia, multiculturalism basically means lots of people with different coloured faces living together.

But like you said coming back to the Indegenous people topic I want to know how they are traditionally build. The natives here do not come in huge packages like with the so called "Europeans". Other thing is how many are going to schools. As here the first steps is at school when you play rugby. What are the illiteracy rate among them?

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
But like you said coming back to the Indegenous people topic I want to know how they are traditionally build. The natives here do not come in huge packages like with the so called "Europeans". Other thing is how many are going to schools. As here the first steps is at school when you play rugby. What are the illiteracy rate among them?

There is no homogenous 'Indigenous Australian' sterotype of build or athletic ability. This is due to the fact that Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders have essentially 'evolved' to suit the varying landscapes of Australia. For instance, the people native that belong to the countries of the Wet Tropics of Queensland are typically shorter than say, their central deserts counterparts who are usually quite tall and slender. Conversley, Torres Straight Islanders are typically thicker-set (such as Sam Thaiday in the NRL). So it's hard to say how they are traditionally built. However, I think it's fair to say that the majority of Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders sub-groups are usually slighter build than Europeans. For that reason, I doubt you'll find too many Indigenous tight head props.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
so if we were to name an indigenous team to play the lions or at least have a strong influence in the combined country team who would play?
2-s.fainga
6-hodgeson
7-c.fainga
13-a.fainga
15- beale
i really didnt wanna write that post cause im ashamed i dont know any others, can anyone else add any?

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
so if we were to name an indigenous team to play the lions or at least have a strong influence in the combined country team who would play?
2-s.fainga
6-hodgeson
7-c.fainga
13-a.fainga
15- beale
i really didnt wanna write that post cause im ashamed i dont know any others, can anyone else add any?
edit>> i sent an email to all the s15 teams through their website asking about aboriginal and torres strait islander representation about a week ago but as of yet no reply... maybe they are all embarrassed to admit it

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A few random thoughts. Firstly, in country NSW - going back in history - rugby league would have been by far the preferred option for indigenous players, partly because of the money, partly because of actual or perceived discrimination. That die having been cast, it would have taken a huge effort to change people's attitudes and opinions, particularly given the importance of kinship in aboriginal communities (kids would gravitate to the sport that their older brothers, uncles, fathers, etc played). The availability of money and the kinship aspect would also apply in the cities.

Secondly, league puts a lot more emphasis on running the ball than our game, and of course there is no contest for possession - how many indigenous kids who grow up in the bush really want to spend time learning about scrums, lineouts, rucks, and mauls when they could be passing, catching, and running. Or even playing AFL.

I agree that AFL and loig are now, and probably always will be, the codes of choice for bush kids other than those few whose parents or schools favour rugby.

Shane Drahm is another indigenous player, although he did not represent the Wobbs. Rodney Blake allegedly had aboriginal heritage, I believe.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
One of the first Aboriginal people I ever had a beer with was a rugby player and enjoyed the game. He was part of the defence forces and played sport there. Also, though he was a proud Aboriginal, he saw saw his priorities more Army, Australia, Rugby, his rugby mates and then his current drinking mates than anything racial. He had a sly, though quick wit and was a pleasure to drink with. Though that could be said of 99.99% of my drinking buddies.

One strength of rugby is that if you want to play it you are accepted regardless of who or what you are. And I think that message should be pushed.

Rugby, with all its intricacies and mysteries is a great team sport. You are what you are as a rugby team member. And nothing else.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
One strength of rugby is that if you want to play it you are accepted regardless of who or what you are. And I think that message should be pushed.

That is the case now, mostly, but it most certainly was not the case in many country towns, and possibly even still in some places.

The people who played rugby in country areas were not the same people who played league, and that fact might still be a factor, as I said earlier, because of kinship and tribal issues.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I'd say so, I played with quite a few in junior rugby in the late 70's & 80's and a mate of mine co coached a junior indigenous rep side last year. I think a lot just gravitate to league after a while. Outside of Qld & NSW AFL is the indigenous game of choice. Damn It!

Just my experience but I have found that Indigenous people gravitate towards AFL above all as they are very aerobic athletes in nature. It is also a pathway and tool in achieving social reforms in that it is very often a very effective medium between two vastly different cultures. Besides country, it is the most important thing to them.

I played with heaps of Indigenous kids in juniors and sadly most from broken backgrounds. The club was good to them and I think they came because they felt safe and loved. AFL always seemed closest to their hearts though. None became Wallabies but most went on to be productive, contributing members of society. We used to fund raise so no junior had to pay fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.