• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ABs vs Poms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
They fucking love him.

And that's why they are dirty poms

...yeap, I bet the locals love you too!! If I were back in Blighty, I think I would enjoy telling you that Ashton is the best thing since sliced bread too! Lol Obviously I can't speak for every dirty, soap dodging, delusional psychotic POM, but personally I think Ashton is a wee bit overrated - mostly by himself. I'm happy to see him in the England team because he is a pretty solid winger but someone needs to have a word with him.

From our moment in the sun, I would rather be talking about the likes of Tom Wood and Joe Launchbury than Ashton. It was a great match and one that gives us some hope for the future. I think the timing of things went our way which allowed us to build confidence throughout the game. Carter missing two kicks early on ( when does that ever happen?), building a 12-0 lead at half-time, Tuilagi's break to score straight back in answer to the AB's two tries. Nevertheless, you still have to defend well and take your chances when they come and for once, we did that. Just about every player had his best game in an England shirt. In reality though, that is the first time in years we have put in such a performance whereas the AB's do it, or better, in 19 out of twenty matches. Also, the AB's will be the better for the loss. If England can continue to improve, Wales get back some of their belief and if the Wallabies can get their mojo back, it will be a great World Cup in three years.

I should also say that we probably spend too much of our time shining the light on cocky little buggers who get up our nose and not enough time celebrating the likes of Richie McCaw, who once again showed his class and grace in the post match interview.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Great comments to see Craig, the commentators on Setanta were saying same as you, it was a win England should be very proud of, they haven't won WC or anything, but it a bloody good place to start. Love to hear those comments from the knowledgeable commentators and same from the fans like yourself, that I personally find are in the majority with English supporters, regardless of what you might hear some people say on forums etc. I agree about Tom Woods and Launchbury, and believe McCaw named these players as being really tough at breakdown, mind you I was pretty impressed with whole pack, and also the work your defence did on ABs second out runners' where ABs have made a lot of ground in earlier tests.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Didn't get to see the game but one thing that made me very happy was how well Tuilagi played....Pacific Islanders may just be taking over the world!! LOL

D

daz

Good to see everyone is roughly on the same page with this result; well played England, good for the game and the future rivalry, Ashton is a total fucktard, etc.

The best outcome from this game is yet to be felt; the Poms will now put the team on a pedestal and proclaim them kings. The sound of that chariot thudding back to earth at speed will be all the more enjoyable.

Please, please, please, Rugby Gods, just once, can Ashton drop the ball during a swan dive? Even better if it costs his team victory.

It is one of those little things that unites all southern hemisphere rugby fans. :D

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
I disagree that the Poms love Ashton. Most people I chat to think he's a cock. I agree with them.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Ashton's swan-dive has the ball in his outstretched arm, its most perilous position. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Tune and others dive with the wing tucked. More of a disabled-chicken-dive.
Hence, Ashton is more of a tool than the others.
CycloLogic brought to you by "I just made shit up".

D

daz

CycloLogic is now Patent Pending. No reproduction without express permission.

Also attached to this Patent are two CycloLogic tag-lines for marketing purposes:

"CycloLogic - If it is on the internet, it must be true!"

"CycloLogic - Way less reliable than Wikipedia!"

/PressReleaseEnds

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyone remember the Zimbabwe(I think) centre in 87 World Cup did a big swan dive to score , and wrecked shoulder, put him out of tournament.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Ashton's swan-dive has the ball in his outstretched arm, its most perilous position. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Tune and others dive with the wing tucked. More of a disabled-chicken-dive.
Hence, Ashton is more of a tool than the others.

That's called analysis

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
So, I've been away from the internet or any source of news for a week...

What. The. Fuck. Just. Happened.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That was one of the best performances by England in the professional era and I've seen most of them.

Before last weekend I was picking a Lions team at the minute, to do a blog, and there weren't many England 1st XV players in my Lions run on side - and not a whole lot in the Twos. But based on the All Black game by itself, I'd put all the Pom starting players last week into the touring squad.

13. Manu Tuilagi and hard man, no-frills 6. Tom Wood, had extraordinary games and young lock Joe Launchbury announced himself as a Lions candidate rather than just a fringe possibilty.

You could go through the whole team and give them each a pat on the back, even guys that have been duds, or nearly so, against Oz or the Boks - players like skipper Chris Robshaw, a true notter at 7, and 12. Brad Barritt. Young Owen Farrell, subbing for the injured Flood, had a bit of a blinder at flyhalf also. As a 10 who can play 12, he would give some value to a Lions squad also.

On the other hand the All Blacks look jaded, a bit like the Wallabies did in their last two games. You could see the signs in the second half against Wales and by all accounts there was a virus affecting the Kiwi team. It looked like it.

The Pom commentators, Miles Harrison and Stuart Barnes, were a bit bemused about the slackness of the ABs performance but warned that the scary part of the movie was about to be seen. Indeed, the Poms were 15-0 up at about 47 minutes but the Blacks ran in 2 tries in 4-5 minutes to be within range.

Instead of folding the Poms came again and defended the ABs out of the game. The Kiwis looked out on their feet; Carter was hooked and Conrad Smith had a shocker defensively - Conrad Smith !! Tuilagi was so dominant that Smith was coming out of the line to nail him and they just ran behind his heels into the gap he made.

And so on.

I've written before that NZ have played some poor rugby this year but were able to execute brilliancies 3 or 4 times in a game to turn the result.

But they couldn't at Twickenham.

Status
Not open for further replies.