• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ACT 1st Grade Vs Sydney 1st grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
BP, can you list a full strength Vikings team?

My full strength side would be (Of Vikings players who are currently at the club)

Ratulevu, Vosuga, Fainifo, Stubbs, Lealiifano, Iona, Mokotupu, Parahi, Salvi, Fainga'a, UNSURE about 2nd Rowers, Noble, J.Salvi, Unsure about F/Rower.

Im sure that side would give any Sydney team a good go...

A full strength Queanbeyan and ROyals team too...

W

waves

My full strength side would be (Of Vikings players who are currently at the club)

Ratulevu, Vosuga, Fainifo, Stubbs, Lealiifano, Iona, Mokotupu, Parahi, Salvi, Fainga'a, UNSURE about 2nd Rowers, Noble, J.Salvi, Unsure about F/Rower.

Im sure that side would give any Sydney team a good go...

A full strength Queanbeyan and ROyals team too...

Good team , nothing against it although most sydney Shute Shield sides wouldn't have much trouble against them. Eastwood, Randwick, Syd Uni, Easts, Souths, Manly would carve them in my opinon just in a different league.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Good team , nothing against it although most sydney Shute Shield sides wouldn't have much trouble against them. Eastwood, Randwick, Syd Uni, Easts, Souths, Manly would carve them in my opinon just in a different league.

I agree with the likes of Sydney Uni, Randwick, full strength Souths, but I think a full strength Tuggies would push Eastwood, Manly, pip Easts but would carve the likes of West HArbour, Gordon, Penrith and Parramatta. Queanbeyan probably not as much as Tuggies but would beat Gordon, Penrith and Parramatta, and the same possibly with Royals.

H

HappyHC

Ratulevu lacks positional play and top end pace. Iona is not a five eight and stubs is not with Vikings - also doubt over fainifo and Fainga'a. Mokotupu no longer a genuine explosive threat - class back row but you can't be unsure about tight five in shute shield rugby. I think you may also be under stating some of the so called lower sides, some of whom are showing some reasonable trial form. That Vikings team is a bottom two side in my opinion.

W

waves

I agree with the likes of Sydney Uni, Randwick, full strength Souths, but I think a full strength Tuggies would push Eastwood, Manly, pip Easts but would carve the likes of West HArbour, Gordon, Penrith and Parramatta. Queanbeyan probably not as much as Tuggies but would beat Gordon, Penrith and Parramatta, and the same possibly with Royals.

Wouldnt buy into that mate Parramatta are improving side on the rise, Penrith probably not but Eastwood with a fullstrength pack McCaffrey brothers, Chris Alcock, Matt Dunning, Ben Robertson, Ben Alexander, Damien Fitzpatrick and a backline of Gavin Batger and James Stennard big call on your behalf.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Parramatta are improving and Penrith beat Souths last year. West harbour are struggling a bit but have a look at Rugby News in the first week of April and check the purchases made by the Marlins, Souths, Easts and Randwick. Manly have 4 forwards from the 08 Aust schoolboys side, Sevens players, academy players and current S15 players. I'm sorry to say it but you guy's would be smashed.
Also we aren't the strongest club either.

P

Parra GM

Comparing ACT v Sydney is almost like comparing Test cricket sides from different generations. Viv Richards Windies team vs Steve Waugh's Aussies etc. The game down there is refereed much differently than it is in Sydney. Evidenced by the little differences in interpretations of how the breakdown was policed at the Queanbeyan 7s. Plenty of players have successfully made the transition from Canberra to Sydney in recent times and will continue to do so.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Parramatta are improving and Penrith beat Souths last year. West harbour are struggling a bit but have a look at Rugby News in the first week of April and check the purchases made by the Marlins, Souths, Easts and Randwick. Manly have 4 forwards from the 08 Aust schoolboys side, Sevens players, academy players and current S15 players. I'm sorry to say it but you guy's would be smashed.
Also we aren't the strongest club either.

You all are probably right but i do think that Canberra club rugby, the top end anyway is quite strong. I have watched a lot of Shute Shield both live at the grounds and on ABC and there is an argument both sides, but I think the top end of Canberra Club rugby would compete with Sydney teams. But an argument could be raised both ways I guess.

C

CoachTB

There are very good players in canberra, and a couple of very good teams. The issue is there is not the week in week out standard available to those top sides. Therefor they get away with things you can't get away with against any sydney teams, in the S.S any mistakes or cheap turnovers are punished by opposition. Alao far greater depth throughout clubs with competition for spots in teams - therefor the standard gets raised that little bit more in terms of accuracy etc.

Good players for sure in Canberra - thats why they can make the transition to S.S succesfully and why they are wanted.

G

goroyals

I guess we'll find out which competition is better when the Brumbies play the Waratahs on Saturday highlighting the best players from each district/state.

C

CoachTB

Yeah - good comparison! How many of the Brumbies squad play in The Canberra Comp again?

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Yeah - good comparison! How many of the Brumbies squad play in The Canberra Comp again?

Yeah, you are so right Coach. All players play in the Sydney Comp for both sides.....and its not a good advertisement for the Sydney CLub Competition considering The Tahs and Brumbies are both crap this season.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah, you are so right Coach. All players play in the Sydney Comp for both sides.....and its not a good advertisement for the Sydney CLub Competition considering The Tahs and Brumbies are both crap this season.

Tahs have a lot of key injuries and will re-find their form this year. They may have lost to the Cheetahs in a forgettable match but they gave it to the Reds. Brumbies are just crap and will begin their re-build next year. I still think it is more embarrassing to lose to the Rebels than the Cheetahs.

Status
Not open for further replies.