• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ACTJRU U18 & ACT Schools XV 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Walker

Peter Burge (5)
Any thoughts on the new "mercy rule" introduced recently??
Personally I think it is a good idea, but I question the use of it been implemented in a division 1 game.. division 1 games are obviously for the best teams in an age group and if teams are getting beaten by so much that the other team needs to start removing players from the field I question if they should be in the premier division.

I completely agree with you. Due to division 1 teams being dropped down to division 2 every year ,in all grades i might add, I believe they have put in place this mercy rule so that teams stay in Division 1 throughout the entire season rather then dropping down mid-season and making it unfair for division 2 teams.

Michael Walker

Peter Burge (5)
Is there anyone who cares to explain to me what happened down at the Eddies, Dara game on the weekend... 69-0 sounds like an unfamiliar dara side

ACT Oracle

Frank Row (1)
Is there anyone who cares to explain to me what happened down at the Eddies, Dara game on the weekend. 69-0 sounds like an unfamiliar dara side

Sounds like a couple years ago, Dara have had a good 2 years, pushing the top teams. But now is it maybe showing it was a bit of a fluke couple of years and that their depth is very shallow?

Fishy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Is there anyone who cares to explain to me what happened down at the Eddies, Dara game on the weekend. 69-0 sounds like an unfamiliar dara side

Possibly the fact that since U14's, Daramalan have not had a Div one team in the 1997 age group (Year 11), depth could be a big issue for them. A simple injury could see the talent level drop.

Did Anyone see the Grammar Vikings game? Wasn't able to get out to Viking park!

Marist gave old Westies a hiding, 50-17, after they seemed like they were a pretty good team, that were close to a couple of the schools near the top?

Rhino147

Stan Wickham (3)
With a couple of injuries, Grammar had an average win against Vikings, 35-25. Angrydog, the ASC Squads were:

South
1. Andrew Whittle (CGS)
2. Brad Andrews (CGS)
3. Ewan McPherson (CGS)
4. Nick Champion De Crespigny (CGS)
5. Daniel Smart (CGS)
6. Ethan Zissler (CGS)
7. Lewis Oswald (MCC)
8. Harrison Petkovich (CGS)
9. Patrick Rumble (c) (CGS)
10. James Shephard (MCC)
11. Tom Evans (MCC)
12. Liam Simonsson (MCC)
13. Ethan Miller (CGS)
14. Sam Irvine (CGS)
15. Sam Ross (MCC)

Subs
Peter Brown (MCC)
Nick Saunders (CGS)
Nathan Exton (MCC)
Jacob Angelatos (CGS)
Oliver Clinch (CGS)
Andrew Barron (CGS)

North (according to team sheet, I do note a number of changes to the actual team but)
1.Thomas Thompson (DARA)
2. Kosta Postanziz (SEC)
3. Chris Anastasiou (DARA)
4. Josh Pearce (SEC)
5. Braeden Smith (SEC)
6. Dylan Ashlin (DARA)
7. Matthew Cuja (TRINITY)
8. Koben Moore (DARA)
9. Lick Drinkwater (TRINITY)
10. Nahl Fox (SEC)
11. Kunal Juna (DARA)
12. Lewis Williamson (TRINITY)
13. Jackson Duffey (DARA)
14. Cody Love (DARA)
15. Guillaume Nouri (SEC)

Subs
James Timermanis (SEC)
Pat Loneragon (SEC)
Will Northcote (TRINITY)

Fishy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Liam Simmonson wasn't playing 12 for ASC south, Liam Murphy was.

Also ASC south won today, beating CSC 20-12 in the last game of the day. A good performance where they held their own with a much smaller side in comparison to ASC North and CSC

Serious matter though, Mass controversy today when Eddie's pulled out their first XV of ASC nth?

Are they scared to verse marist this saturday?

Michael Walker

Peter Burge (5)
Liam Simmonson wasn't playing 12 for ASC south, Liam Murphy was.

Serious matter though, Mass controversy today when Eddie's pulled out their first XV?

Are they scared to verse marist this saturday?

That is interesting but i would say it was more precautionary than anything

Fishy

Frank Nicholson (4)
You have a point, if this was true it wouldn't entirely surprise me the way Marist have been playing lately

I think it's unmoral basically, like just for one game? Even if they lose, one loss is not the end of a season. Also it is hindering the players ability who havent played in teams like JGC or U18's HPS, to have an opportunity to get selected for ACT Schoolboys. If they wanted to have an opportunty that was it but now they have none.

Rhino147

Stan Wickham (3)
Yes, i noticed Marist didnt send a few of the core players into the team. Suita was initially starting hooker and was pulled out. Still, not as severe as St Edmunds pulling out the whole squad. They had a large number of 2nd XV players in there instead

Fiesty Mut

Frank Row (1)
After such a promising performance against Marist, I feel Grammar were disappointing against a club side such as the Tuggeranong Vikings. I was at the game and they did not live up to their lofty expectations. However, the main fixture this weekend is undoubtedly Marist vs St Edmunds - one would say the heavyweights of the ASC competition. St Edmunds will be a strongly structured team under Pat Longtree - former Australian Schoolboys Coach.

Schoolboy Rugby for pete's sake, and the st Edmunds' clowns are withdrawing there players. Sure, marist are a strong team but not letting your representative players compete is reprehensible. I think this will act as the spark that lights the bonfire come Saturday 3pm at Marr Street.

Fishy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yes, i noticed Marist didnt send a few of the core players into the team. Suita was initially starting hooker and was pulled out. Still, not as severe as St Edmunds pulling out the whole squad. They had a large number of 2nd XV players in there instead

Apparently just two, Liam Simmonson as well as Suita Tai

Can anyone from a while back (no offence intended) recollect if this has happened before? Angry Dog maybe?

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Not too sure about that, not that I know of anyway. Its sad that a sol called rep game is being somewhat 'cheapened' by having players withdrawn by the schools for the schools sake. At it's strictest, you might go as far as to say that they should become ineligible for further selection to the ACT side by not participating in the so called selection trial. Its a bit disappointing I think. This obviously wont happen but it does make you ask what the point is if players are withdrawn by their school...

What I do know is that Langtry is a master of the mind games and no doubt this is part of a ploy to try and unsettle Marist for the weekend rather than ACT rugby as a whole. I'm not sure of Langtry's long term plans as far as coaching goes but if he is settling in for a while after taking a break for a few years, then sit back and prepare yourselves for some very strong Eddies outfits and possible domination (if their not already). Anybody who knows his coaching record will know exactly what I mean. I don't think he has coached a 1st XV at either Marist or Eddies which did not win the ASC or Waratah?

Fishy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Apparently there is a rule that if a player withdraws from the ASC / CSC Schoolboy game trials without a certificate they are illegible for selection in the ACT team?

Learned One

Allen Oxlade (6)
Apparently there is a rule that if a player withdraws from the ASC / CSC Schoolboy game trials without a certificate they are illegible for selection in the ACT team?

If this is true, then no doubt some "illegible" certificates will materialise this week.
Can we please have some clarification from the President of the ACT Schoolboys Rugby Association regarding the eligibility of the St Edmunds team for ACT selection .
I doubt anyone wants to see young lads denied a chance due to a stupid disrespectful decision made by those in charge of the St Edmunds Rugby team .

Would it be possible this year to have a team picked on form .
Today we saw a good close game between Marist and St Edmunds with Eddies getting away in the second half.
In a previous round Marist beat Canberra Grammar however Grammar were the better team on the day.
Hopefully we will see a fair selection this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.