• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ACTJRU U18 & ACT Schools XV 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Here is a link to the final ACT schoolboys squad who will compete in the Australian Schoolboys Championships in late June.

http://www.brumbies.com.au/Portals/13/Files/Community Rugby/ACTSRU/2014 FINAL Schoolboys Squad.pdf

So now that the ACT squad has been finalised for National championships, will there be anyone coming up to Sydney to watch?

The Team at G&GR are looking for scribes who can contribute to the coverage of this tournament by way of photographs, match reports, or a background article on the ACT squad.

Anyone interested in helping should send a "conversation" to myself or @Lee Grant (or both) using the "inbox" icon at the top right of this page.

Team Manager

Bob McCowan (2)
The word I got from an ACT parent was the game was better than the score indicated. Apparently ACT crossed the line four or five times in the first 20 minute quarter which seemed to leave the NSW Country boys a bit shell shocked. However the Country boys seemed to regroup and in the remaining three quarters only allowed ACT to score another four tries .

It was mentioned that the Country boys, who apparently were a smaller side, dominated in the scrums and on at least one occasion almost won the ball against the feed.

It was also said that although there were some easy tries scored the NSW Country team still put up a reasonable game and the ACT boys were feeling it a bit at the end of the game.

Sounds like it was a good work out.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
I was there as a country parent (so a bit one eyed). I thought the country boys were shell shocked by the opening salvo of a team that has obviously been very well drilled. To the country coaches credit he just kept encouraging the boys and trying different combinations to work out the problems. And they slowed the follow after the first quarter.

I thought that country forwards held their own if not slightly ahead of ACT. The backs man on man also held their own (i.e. there were no soft touches or backs that couldn't make first up tackles) but ACT constantly organised big overlaps on the outside and went around the country defence. I my view (with all the year of watching country juniors play Sydney/ACT etc) this is a universal problem for country juniors. It isn't a lack of quality players (they're there alright) it is the lack of experience/training/drilling in repositioning defensive and attacking patterns at the speed that the Sydney/ ACT etc. teams are used to.
If NSW Country want to provide a credible alternative pathway they have to address this problem or the country boys will have to keep going to the city/GPS schools to get this experience.

P.S. don't forget the country team was missing its' schools rep players who will be back next week for Bond University Colts and the Sydney vs Country game.

Team Manager

Bob McCowan (2)
Is there a Thread or can someone start one so we can follow the NSW Country boys?

It sounds like a similar story from both sides, especially in regards to the forwards. It will be interesting to see how the Country boys go next week.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
To bring it back to topic I think the ACT team will have benefited from a good hard hit out and the coaches identified things to work on. The backs got some good experience in how their patterns work.
Another observation is the obvious influence of the Brumbies in a way I've never seen from the Waratahs, well done Brumbies good to see them support the grass routes.

piggy12

Frank Row (1)
Was down at the Marist game today and it was a slaughter. didn't get the final score in the end, but Marist blew them out of the water with their attack, racking up at least 50+ points on Dara.

Then again, it looked as though Dara were short on numbers with a few boys playing out of position, especially in the back line where Marist really were dominant.

Also, around the grandstand today there was quite a bit of talk from the players in the seconds and thirds games that Marist still has a forward yet to play this season due to injury. From what they were saying he sounds like he's an impact player waiting to happen and the expectations were he'd play for the firsts squad soon enough. Anyone know more details on this?

Fishy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Grammar top Royals 42-12 in a dominant affair.
Grammar up 28-7 within 20 minutes, with Royals try being the result of a charge down by their best on field, #12, not sure of his name. But royals fought back pretty hard but could only mount another try.
Grammar's backline looked strong with a new #10, Harry Tyson coming back from injury I believe?

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
Speaking of schoolboys, SEC 1st XV have had to forfeit this weekend's game which I find incredible and cannot recall ever happening before.

Status
Not open for further replies.