• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Adopt a finalist 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I'm getting behind the Ponies (it's way too fashionable to back the Tahs now).

I don't feel the need to change my avatar though.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Its no surprise that a lot of Victorians and Queenslanders think "fuck the Tahs". Queenslanders have been brought up to hate NSW (jealousy I suppose ;)), while Victorians live in the very tribal AFL culture, and have no international game to speak of. Once club footy is over, that's it.

In Super Rugby though, because your national players are spread across multiple clubs, there is still the opportunity to support them against a team from another country.

In 2011, I didn't like Quade Cooper at all, and didn't think he deserved to be Wallaby flyhalf, but that didn't stop me cheering for QLD.

Of course it may have been something to do with the fact that they were playing those dirty cheating c***s from Christchurch and Sir Richie The Invisible. if there is one thing i like almost as much as Tahs winning, its the Crusaders losing, just so their arrogant prick fans shut up - or even better have a whinge about the refereeing. The irony is delicious.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Some of you guys are making me regret cheering for the Reds in 2011 and the Brumbies in 2013.

I get the competitiveness when your team is still part of it, but after that, surely there's a bit of support for the Aussie team.

daz has almost singlehandedly changed my second favourite Aussie team from the Rebels to the Force! I hope the wrinkles you get from staying in the hot tub too long are permanent!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I never supported the Reds in 2011 but I cheered for them in the finals because they played the Blues and Crusaders. How could I not enjoy seeing their players lose finals?

Surely seeing Richie lose another title is better than seeing him lift another one?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
That's pretty much how it works I think Qwerty. Once your team is out you work out the team you dislike more in each game and go for the other guys.

T

TOCC

I'l support the Tahs, not because I want to see them win in a 'fan sense' but because I think their winning would be best for Australian Rugby as a whole and I also hate seeing kiwis or saffas win anything.

I will say that if Tom Carter were still playing I would most likely be supporting the Brumbies instead.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I will say that if Tom Carter were still playing I would most likely be supporting the Brumbies instead.

The Waratahs fans probably would too as we probably wouldn't be in the finals.*

* Tom Carter did play in the 2008 Super Rugby final.

T

Train Without a Station

I've always disliked the Waratahs but at least on the field, the 2014 Waratahs are much less dislikeable.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Once upon a Ragerly, I qualified for a cane and was told that I had very little chance of being able to see at any decent level again. At my worst, with strongest lenses available, I still couldn't see the top letter on a wall chart (unless it was an 0).

Coming to terms with that, was fucking hard. However it pales in comparison to thinking that the Waratahs are going to be the Super XV champs. My stomach is in knots just writing this.

Chiefs, Clan then everybody fucking else but the Tahs.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
You'd think as a Chiefs supporter you'd sympathise with us - so many years of disappointment, missing out on finals and watching season after season go down the toilet.

Finally you break through not only once, but twice on the trot.

Then all of a sudden you're carrying on like a Cantab!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
When have people not supported their own countries teams in an international comp.

Edinburgh in the Pro12 and European Competitions.

Scottish Football Clubs in Champions League and Europa. Yes, even Rangers. *shudder*

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My personal hierarchy of support has the Crusaders followed by Christmas Day at McMurdo daylight; Clan then Chiefs; if the Pope takes to not wearing a funny hat in public I could possibly go for the Blues; and if the bears take to using portaloos rather than defecating in the woods I'd think about going for the 'canes before going "yeah, nah, bro" (sorry @ Dan54 but I'm deeply scarred by those post-loss bus trips from Westpac Stadium back to the Levin Cossie).

As for the Aussie teams, well at lest the Rebs, Brumbies & Force aren't entirely Sethfricken but the other two may as well be in my book. And you really don't wanna know what I think of the actual Sethfricken sides, except maybe the Cheetahs on a good day.

In terms of the Super Rugby finals, therefore, it's:

Crusaders

Chiefs or Clan

Brumbies

Tahs

Sharks.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
If I only ever cheered for the Tahs around finals time,there would not have been much interest for a while!
Supported the Brumbies last year,Reds in 2011 and I even think I cheered for the Chiefs in 2012.Having lived in Kiwiland for a while,my order of support will always be Aussie teams,Kiwis,Saffas.Not sure who I would support in an all Saffa final.Maybe Walshie,as he would most likely be the ref!

Status
Not open for further replies.