• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banger

Frank Nicholson (4)
Eddies up over Iona.
Tied premiership Padua, Ash and Eddies.
First ever 1st xv premierships for Padua and Eddies.
Eddies were superb today. A fine team and expertly coached.

Jonesy@Pad

Frank Row (1)
Pad v Ash

Disgraceful is the only word for that refereeing performance. 8 penalties in snot 5 mins and two sin bins and Ashgrove still couldnt score!

X

Xavier Bell

Ligit

words out that Brisbane grammar are trying to lock in fly half, inside center and fullback from St Laurences College U16's A team for 2012 first rugby season.:confused:

Hey just to get it straight, do you have names or know the exact names of the people they are after? The fullbacks been playing well. And where did you hear this from? Thanks Xave

A

AIC scout.

BGS going shopping.

T. Robinson as 10.
J. Shoul as 12
J.Dempsey as 15

Just the word going around school at the moment
Not confirmed just as yet, coach just shows high interest in all 3's playing style.

M

MARKS

Well done Lauries, its been a tough and at times luckless season.
High hopes for 2012 !

S

stinger

Well MARKS what I think Messy dubb means is AIC is a comp for real people. Where teams take whoever walks thru the door at enrolment, encorage them to play as many sports, a musical instrument and get an education. As opposed to the elitist GPS comp which is purely a battle of the chequebook and has lost all relevance to what schoolboy rugby should be about - fun, fitness, teamwork and becoming a better young man.

G

GPS superstars

T. Robinson as 10.
J. Shoul as 12
J.Dempsey as 15

Just the word going around school at the moment
Not confirmed just as yet, coach just shows high interest in all 3's playing style.

i used to go to lauries back in the day and i remember watching these three from the 5A's. BGS should really consider them, might even take them from being a shit team to a half decent team. they play the key positions very well and suit eachothers play styles. BGS need this kinda skill, should of picked them up earlier if theyre actually are considering taking, but youll need to convince them all because i dont see them moving without eachother to be honest. but good luck!

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Congrats to eddies and Padua - well deserved

No "well deserved" to Ashgrove?

Seems to me that for "the worst Ash 1st XV in 10 years" they must have done something right to share in the premiership, but I guess that sentiment isn't fashionable in this thread.

For mine, I agree that Padua and Eddies should be warmly congratulated on their first premiership, but so should our guys - Viriliter Age!

G

gecko

Well done Padua and Eddies on their maiden premierships, and Ahsgrove too.

What's happening to Ashgrove rugby? No outright premiership in 4 seasons after 6 straight. Few schoolboy reps being produced anymore. In the mean time the other sports programs seem to be going strongly. Time for a new coach? A more focused rugby program?

rugby1768

Allen Oxlade (6)
Padua vs Ashgrove

Ashgrove 15 was disgraceful in in goal after a Padua try - biggest spac attack I've seen by a First XV player - shame as he appears to have promise - needs to look at his attitude and accept opposition tries will be scored.

I think you will find that the number 15 was baited all game by those padua old boys and had simply had enough when the try was scored. granted he shouldn't have reacted the way he did, but the amount of abuse he copped from the crowd throughout the game was 'disgusting'. He was simply Ashgrove's best player so the crowd went after him. Most 16 year old kids would lose their head in similar situations.

M

MARKS

I agree with you Galloper, I feel the Ashrgove lads have been harshly appraised.
This from a former Lauries boy, so it isn't a bias view in any way shape or form.
They may not of always won pretty.......but they won.
Congrats to Ash, Eddies and Padua.

The trick for Eddies and Padua is to now remain consistent and aspire to always be in the running like Marist.
Ashgroves record in AIC and the old TAS is unmatched.

No "well deserved" to Ashgrove?

Seems to me that for "the worst Ash 1st XV in 10 years" they must have done something right to share in the premiership, but I guess that sentiment isn't fashionable in this thread.

For mine, I agree that Padua and Eddies should be warmly congratulated on their first premiership, but so should our guys - Viriliter Age!

Let's hope these boys stay with the Black and Gold.

Bris Grammar ? Do you really want to go there ? Ha Ha

I agree with all you have said Stinger........very true.
It does worry me as I have two boys attending NC.

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
Talking about inconsistency of the refs calls, it happened all game against Padua. Suprisingly the ref was a Marist old boy apparently...But anyways Padua should be proud of their efforts this season. They have proved alot of people wrong.

What a lot of garbage from you erossi93 - let me set the record straight on the referee. He emigrated to Australia 3 years ago from Christchurch, NZ as a premier referee and continues at that level. Since he has been here, he has refereed a number of top schoolboy 1st XV games such as Nudgee v Terrace, Ashgrove v Lauries and Downlands v TGS, Nudgee v Churchie to name a few. He has nothing to do with any school side in this country. This is pure sour grapes at missing what would have been a well deserved solo premiership. Suggest you get your facts right before making such a slur.

For what it is worth, I went to today's game as an observer to see whether Padua could actually do it and I am not in anyway associated with an AIC school so have no axe to grind either way.

The referee calls were consistent with what I seen at Premier grade all year. What I saw was a Padua performance that seemed to be too highly driven on emotion which led to ill disciplined mistakes which were rightfully penalised by the referee. When Padua played football, they were bloody good, but they reacted negatively each time a decision went against them, which was something they did not do in earlier games when they just got on with the job.

Congratulations on your premiership - hope you can follow it up next year

H

horse

Huge crowd at Banyo - Ref smashed Padua today - lopsided penalty count and two concurrent send-offs early in second half had Padua backpedalling after 10-10 half time - for repeated infringements i believe - made all the difference with the result IMO- honest appraisal - not much between the two sides -Ashgrove backs looked sharper but their forwards were owned by the bigger Paduans - Ashgrove 15 was disgraceful in in goal after a Padua try - biggest spac attack I've seen by a First XV player - shame as he appears to have promise - needs to look at his attitude and accept opposition tries will be scored - great game overall - probably weakest Ashgrove side in last 10 years so credit to them for hanging in

- Padua attacking Ashgrove try line meters out minutes from full time - repeated Ashgrove infringements but no send offs so the inconsistency was disappointing -

H

horse

Disagree with several of your points
* IMO ref was consistent - he could have issued a third yellow card against Padua for further repeated infringments in the 22.
* Ashgrove backs were superior but bombed a couple of tries through lack of patience.
* Ashgrove forwards courageously tackled the bigger opponents who had 65% of the ball in the first half. Ash No.2, great work rate, the best forward on the field.
* Ash No.15 was racially abused (called a black c...) - confirmed by Ashgrove players. This may explain his reaction which was not acceptable but maybe understandable under the circumstances. There was a lot of emotion from the sidelines.
* There has never been a weak team from Ashgrove in my memory. [The best, IMO 1965-Future Wallabies, David L'Estrange, Bob Wood and Mick Flynn RIP].
Royalderry, I think your assessment is a bit harsh.

Recent Results:
2011 Loss to SEC 20-15

2010 Loss to Villa 19-15
Loss to SLC 18-17

2009 Loss to Iona 22-19

2008 Loss to SLC 21-17

2007 Undefeated

2006 Undefeated

2005 Undefeated

2004 Undefeated

* Padua finished strongly but they were not pressing the Ashgrove line "metres out" in the final minutes.

Well done Padua, SEC and Ashgrove.

Ashgrove 2nd XV fullback Jarred Gelsomino only played one 1st XV game. He had a brilliant season but the selectors did not agree with me.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I've seen Grammar play 3 times this year. I've seen their backline play with the likes of an Australian Schoolboy player and fellow contenders for QLD in Blake Laud and Sam Greene. Unless the Lauries boys entering the side are some of the best backline players in the history of GPS they won't win the premiership. Other schools like ACGS, NC and IGS have already shown their cards for next year and most their backlines are well established and contain many rep players.

I'm not jumping to conclusions based on results, I'm basing my opinion on evidence and previous knowledge of how GPS schools recruit players. It is not within their interests to approach players in grade 12 and I can't see them going after AIC boys who are not proven rep players and only accolades are 16A performances.

By no means am I downplaying the quality of the AIC or Lauries boys (admittedly, quality which has been higher than I expected), I just don't see Grammar taking that risk and awarding scholarships to boys in hope of a unlikely premiership. It's got nothing to do with their school, more so the risk factor and previous representation. It serves no benefit replacing rep players with average local talent, GPS scholarships cost too much to the school.

rugby1768

Allen Oxlade (6)
* Ash No.15 was racially abused (called a black c...) - confirmed by Ashgrove players. This may explain his reaction which was not acceptable but maybe understandable under the circumstances. There was a lot of emotion from the sidelines.

Good on the Ashgrove 15 for not taking that sort of ignorant rubbish. I was unaware that abuse he was subjected to was racial, and can now completely understand his reaction. Racial discrimination has no part in our game and young players should not be exposed to that kind of behaviour. The only critcism i now have of the officials is that they did not identify and put an immedaite stop to the abuse. Yesterdays game was a terrific contest, between two very even teams desperate for a win. The despicable behaviour shown by a small minority of spectators put a dampner on an otherwise brilliant game.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
Disagree with several of your points
* IMO ref was consistent - he could have issued a third yellow card against Padua for further repeated infringments in the 22.
* Ashgrove backs were superior but bombed a couple of tries through lack of patience.
* Ashgrove forwards courageously tackled the bigger opponents who had 65% of the ball in the first half. Ash No.2, great work rate, the best forward on the field.
* There has never been a weak team from Ashgrove in my memory. [The best, IMO 1965-Future Wallabies, David L'Estrange, Bob Wood and Mick Flynn RIP].
Royalderry, I think your assessment is a bit harsh.

Recent Results:
2011 Loss to SEC 20-15

2010 Loss to Villa 19-15
Loss to SLC 18-17

2009 Loss to Iona 22-19

2008 Loss to SLC 21-17

2007 Undefeated

2006 Undefeated

2005 Undefeated

2004 Undefeated

* Padua finished strongly but they were not pressing the Ashgrove line "metres out" in the final minutes.

Well done Padua, SEC and Ashgrove.

Ashgrove 2nd XV fullback Jarred Gelsomino only played one 1st XV game. He had a brilliant season but the selectors did not agree with me.

Can't say i agree with you there mate. I was there on saturday, the padua forwards dominated the ashgrove forwards in everything but the scrum. Padua's forwards were bumping off tackler after tackler making good metres with every carry especially the 2 and 3, and had it not been for the 2 yellow cards, would have won the game IMO, as when padua had 15 players on the field looked very dangerous, and a fair few unlucky calls cost them the outright premiership IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.