• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggie

Frank Row (1)
Didn't see the Iona v Lauries u14a game but must admit that I was surprised by the result, although the info that Lauries smashed Iona at scrum time is no surprise as the Iona tight head is about the only effective scrummager in the 8.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Didn't see the Iona v Lauries u14a game but must admit that I was surprised by the result, although the info that Lauries smashed Iona at scrum time is no surprise as the Iona tight head is about the only effective scrummager in the 8.

don't trust your source for info buggie, all scrums where non-contestant

qldRU

Allen Oxlade (6)
To be honest my thoughts on the premiership so far after watching a fair few trial games and looking at the depth through schools in the past few years i cant find a clear cut favourite for this years title. im quietly confident that there will be a shared premiership with only 6 out of 7 games have to be won in order to get the premiership.

i have also came to the conclusion that this years first XV backlines will be filled with majority of league players. on this note i have heard of a few injuries occuring throughout several schools which may disrupt some sides

Jordan Fewings (ACL) - season (PAD)
Carter Auld (shoulder) - 4-6 weeks (SEC)
Cayleb Williamson (ankle) 3 weeks (SEC)
Alex Lockett (foot) - season (VILLA)
Jayden Carroll (arm) - 2 weeks (IONA)

if anyone would like i can post team predictions for any aic school just say which from my opinion as i have a fair idea of some teams at this stage while i hold no connection with any school in particular

HitemHigh

Bob McCowan (2)
An Eddies old boy here with a interest in the teams happenings. How is the Eddies team shaping up? A few injuries could hurt them as they've always struggled with depth. Their playing stock could be thinned even further over the proceeding years, sadly, with even the local state high schools actively recruiting for their league programs.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I hear St Pats played a trial against Brisbane State High today, and got "beat easy". Was anyone at the game?

qldRU

Allen Oxlade (6)
Villa ?
Lauries?
Iona?

starting off with backline predications, i believe Iona will hold the backline with the most size while villa with the most speed while lauries a mixture of both.

Iona
9) Trae Grimley (16A 2013)
10) Jayden Carroll (1st XV 2013, QLD Union + League 2013)
11) Max Dillion (16A 2013)
12) Taugolanga Hola (16A 2013)
13) Michael Dickie (16A 2013)
14) David Yablsey (1st XV 2013)
15) Sam Leadbetter (1st XV/16A 2013)

Lauries
9) Ian Filipo (1st XV/16A 2013)
10) Tuavii Janhke (16A 2013)
11) Chris Anastasiou (16A 2013)
12) Will Dwyer (16A 2013)
13) Nic Jesberg (1st XV 2013)
14) Reilly Jones (16A 2013)
15) Joel Mead (1st XV 2013)

Villa
9) Max Baker (15A 2013)
10) Ryan Cameron
11) Samuel Boland (16A 2013)
12) Cameron Torpy (16A 2013, QLD League 2013)
13) Kenric Rotscheid-Felu (1st XV 2013, QLD Union 2013)
14) Connor Heath
15) Samuel Thong (1st XV 2013)

To be honest all backlines have potential to be premiership winning, it will all depend on injuries and if there is depth after players coming out from injuries. Carroll and Felu will be two to keep a close eye on as both are coming off good years last year in 1st XV and should be two players to watch out of some very good backlines. Some unknown players going under the radar such as Baker and Dickie may breakthrough with good years ready for next year. Should be interesting to see. My tip is an underraterd SLC backline to take the most dominant out of the three.

Havealook

Allen Oxlade (6)
Essentially I see this year as a close comp (again). I don't think there will be much more than about a 20 point margin between the top and bottom teams. To me there is a top 4 and a bottom 4, any of the top 4 could beat any of the others in the top 4 on their day, and same with the bottom 4, so here we go.

1. Eddies - Some name players, beat Ashgrove in a trial, but injury rumours abound, but will they have the depth to go the full seven rounds? They haven't in recent years, but shape as an excellent chance of taking the cup if they can.

2. Ashgrove - had some decent trials and are match hardened by a NZ tour. Seemed to me that they were using the big names sparingly in the trials here. Can't imagine that they will lose 3 games again this year, so expect them to be thereabouts. Would be better served by using a more expansive game plan, but wouldn't be surprised they will be playing it tight again.

3. Iona - Not the same quality team as last year, but did beat Lauries in a trial and on that basis will be competitive again this year.

4. Lauries - good trial form, albeit against some modest opposition. Trial against Iona was closer than some think. 16's did well last year and the backline seems to have some speed, but does the pack have the mongrel? Definitely the dark horses and expect improvement in position compared to recent SLC 1st XV's.

5. Peters - Had 2 Australian players last year and a host of other big names and still didn't win the comp. This years team is not in that ilk, and their incoming 2014 U16A's have never won a game of rugby in high school, so expect this to be a rebuilding year. Trial against Iona was cancelled, the trial against Padua they won, but was more like a 2nd XV game and went on a tour to Canberra where they had some success.

6. Pats - some good backs, forwards have some size, attack will be OK, but defence a big question. Haven't been on the right side of the ledger in trials. 16s failed to win a game last year

7. Padua - nobody is talking them up, but with the premiership 15's side from last year coming through, some of whom will play firsts, you would expect this to be rebuilding year with the view to a making a fair go at the 2015 premiership. 16's last year were near the bottom of the table.

8. Villa - Have seen these guys working their backsides off down at Easts every morning this year, so you can't fault their commitment. Backline has some ability, but nobody talking them up on here and 16's were weak last year. Give me some more info and I will increase their rating!

Rugbychat101

Stan Wickham (3)
Most of the chat on this site is based around Iona eddies and villa, some team predictions for Pats & Lauries would be good

Codeunion

Peter Burge (5)
My prediction for this weekends clash between St Laurence's college and Villanova college will be 31-12 in favor of Villanova college. Villanova has too much strike power out wide and will dominate the St Laurence's backline.

KingProp

Bob McCowan (2)
Embarrassing result for St Peter's v Barker in the trial this afternoon. Just under 50 points and it could be a long year for the St Peters.
Forwards were particularly poor, slow to the breakdown and lack effort, some speed and talent in the backs.
Might have been just a bad day. Trial Saturday might provide more evidence of true potential.

Eddiesboy

Bob McCowan (2)
This weekends Tips

Ill be at the Padua vs Eddies game cant see the boys from Ipswich going down in this affair. To much size and speed for a little talked about Padua team but going on a trial los to peters I cant see them being any quality. As said it'll be a rebuilding year by the sounds which seems to be the case every year with them. Eddies have many stars which will prove to good even with the whining from the Padua crew to move the game cant see eddies loosing 30+ scorecard

other predications for the weekend ?.

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
Embarrassing result for St Peter's v Barker in the trial this afternoon. Just under 50 points and it could be a long year for the St Peters.
Forwards were particularly poor, slow to the breakdown and lack effort, some speed and talent in the backs.
Might have been just a bad day. Trial Saturday might provide more evidence of true potential.

Interesting result, Ashgrove have Barker on Sat I believe. Other trials include Peters/Pats, Padua/SEC, Lauries/Villa and Iona against a northern NSW school? Very keen to see how Padua fare against SEC, when they had a European tour 2 years ago it ended up hurting their prep for the season more than anything. Have Iona had any trials other than Lauries so far? They may be a bit underdone come round 1 if not however a poor Peters side may gave them a chance to blow out the cobwebs before Villa in round 2. I won't judge Peters yet though they've fooled too many people in the last couple of years. Have heard very little about Ash on here, would love to hear some thoughts from those in the know at Marist as to how they are travelling? I'm predicting that they will be very, very well prepared. They've had a good 7/8 trials I hear already with Barker still to come on Sat. Lauries v Villa will be a good indication as to where both teams are at, particularly for SLC as they build to a make or break opening 2 weeks away against Eddies and Ash

David Connors

Sydney Middleton (9)
Lauries XV for the trial against villa

1. Michael Hansen-Luther
2. Dominic McLean
3. Dan McHugh
4. Eddie Dineen
5. Mitchell Schneider
6. Matthew Ryan
7. Tom Askin
8. Reece Carlton
9. Ian Filipo
10. Joel Mead
11. Chris Anastasciou
12. Will Dwyer
13. Adam Parsons
14. Nic Jesberg
15. Tuiavii Jahnke

Will be interesting to see how close this is to a full strength team for round 1 with players like Eric TouAriki (hooker), Jordan Bayne (wing) and Tom Beikoff (backrow/centres) playing in the 2nds after being starting players in last years 1st XV. Looks like the depth is much stronger this year at SLC

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
[quote="don't_go_latho, post: 595232, member: 3531" Iona against a northern NSW school? No, NZ team I think.
Have Iona had any trials other than Lauries so far? No due to weather did not play Peters in trial, however the did have a rughy camp over hols.

An observation of mine from Lauries v Iona trial, Iona generally produce large teams, not so this year, in fact I would say one of the smallest Iona teams I have seen in a long time.

Which schools this season holds the size advantage?

Have heard very little about Ash on here, would love to hear some thoughts from those in the know at Marist as to how they are travelling? I'm predicting that they will be very, very well prepared. They've had a good 7/8 trials

7/8 trials wow that's a lot is that the norm? I thought most schools 2 - 4

CrouchBindSet

Frank Row (1)
Villanova's First XV team Vs Lauries
3:15pm, Saint laurence's Fields

1. Mitchell Ross (16A's 2013, First time running on, will be interesting)
2. Richard Barnewall (16A's 2013)
3. Kyle Walker (First XV, 16A's 2013)
4. Jayden Daley (16A's 2013)
5. Will Sankey (C) (First XV 2013)
6. George Carter (First XV, 16A's 2013)
7. Peter Harding (First XV 2013)
8. Alex Curcuruto (First XV, 16A's 2013)
9. Eli Lui (First XV, 16A's 2013)
10. Ryan Cmaeron (Inj 2013)
11. Tom Cronin (15A's 2013)
12. Kenric Felu (First XV 2013, AIC 2, QLD WHITE)
13. Cameron Torpy (16A's 2013, U16 QRL)
14. Sam Thong (First XV 2013)
15. Max Baker (15A's 2013, Met East U15)

qldRU

Allen Oxlade (6)
Villanova 31 St Laurences 17
Went out and had a look at this game Villa absolutely dominated first half of the game with flyhalf Ryan Cameron and outside center Cameron Torpy making SLC's backline look stupid. with a small scuffle on the side line saw Villas fullback Max Baker and SLC winger Nick Jesberg both shown red cards. With Lauries throughing alot of chat but failing to back it up with good rugby, from my opinion they were here to fight not to play footy. A yellow card to Cameron Torpy (13) from villa for a massive hit on his opposite number Adam Parsons leaving him down ended up being a shoulder charge. with SLC making a few changes a late come back lasting 5 minutes was all they had. it became evident Villas forwards and backs are much faster bigger and stronger dominating the game, except lauries scrum was performing quiet well. Lauries fullback was looking for fights the whole game with little good rugby. maybe an attitude change is in check for the black and gold boys while it is still early days i cannot see them being in the top 6 this year. on the other hand villa spreaded the ball well opting not to kick in the 22 and making numerous breaks, they do have some weakness on the edges but they are still in my mind the dark horses for the AIC 2014 comp with the 10/12/13 combo for them being the best by far in AIC. both teams played from what i believe were full strength teams. no injuries from this game so should be interesting to see lauries go up against SEC and villa against padua next week. but keep your eyes out this villa team has something that hasnt been seen in any villa team since 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.