• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Looks like it is Dan Ritchie who has gone. This is a shame as he certainly has the knowledge. Good pick up for State High.

Still the guys who are running Lauries Rugby are heading in the right direction. The participation is rate is excellent and with a new principal hopefully a greater emphasis will be placed on sport.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
The talk at Souths is that this is an enormous loss to the school, parents and students are still scratching their head at how this bloke missed out on the 1sts job. There's a big fear he'll take a lot of his red hot 9A players from this year with him to state high.
That would be a loss to Lauries. They were a good side and probably the only team that really challenged Ashgrove this year. But those boys would have to live in West End or Highgate Hill wouldn't they?

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
That is, to go to State High, you have to live in the catchment don't you? Isn't that 14A side at BSHS already very strong?

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
That is, to go to State High, you have to live in the catchment don't you? Isn't that 14A side at BSHS already very strong?

That is unless you are given a Sporting Merit Scholarship and they offer those things around like confetti. Basically if you make a Met East team you get an offer. They have kids from all over Brisbane. But GPS Rugby is a completely different level of crazy.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
True .

High pretty much own the Sunnybank /Logan catchment although Terrace have had a good crack over the last couple of years off the back of Tom Barker's strong relationships in the Polynesian Community

Insofar as this year's Lauries 14A's are concerned I wouldn't be that worried ...there have been strong approaches on a number of these boys since the U12 Met East love fest and the ensuing Club season where a few of them ended up playing for the State High Centric Riverside Club Team .

High have lost a couple of forwards to Terrace and a player or two back to more League aligned schools . Their needs to replenish are more forwards based , and respectfully , there really isn't anyone in the Lauries pack that would make them materially better to what they lost . I'm sure High would take whoever for some depth but I'd be sure they'd be looking to do what they usually do insofar as their top line recruitment focus.

St Peter's have just picked up a handy lock in the age group from TGS whose family have just relocated FWIW

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Also FWIW one of these Lauries lads playing for Riverside ended up being the leading point scorer in the U14 Div 1 competition , and no , it wasn't who you think it would be .

Good player . Under rated player

The other factor as well is that there supposedly are a number of these High lads who started there last year or the year before who want out

Kids / families talk amongst themselves . I can't see anyone rushing to High unless it's another league recruit that wants to have a two bob each way bet and believes they're the sausage that makes the sizzle.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
True .

High pretty much own the Sunnybank /Logan catchment although Terrace have had a good crack over the last couple of years off the back of Tom Barker's strong relationships in the Polynesian Community

Insofar as this year's Lauries 14A's are concerned I wouldn't be that worried .there have been strong approaches on a number of these boys since the U12 Met East love fest and the ensuing Club season where a few of them ended up playing for the State High Centric Riverside Club Team .

High have lost a couple of forwards to Terrace and a player or two back to more League aligned schools . Their needs to replenish are more forwards based , and respectfully , there really isn't anyone in the Lauries pack that would make them materially better to what they lost . I'm sure High would take whoever for some depth but I'd be sure they'd be looking to do what they usually do insofar as their top line recruitment focus.

St Peter's have just picked up a handy lock in the age group from TGS whose family have just relocated FWIW
They will need him!

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Anyone have a predicted Marist or Lauries XV side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on last year Ashgrove have about four returning for a second run at first XV. They also had a strong 16As which beat lairs to win the prem however did lose the trial game to Lauries both games were close.

Lauries have about 7 boys having either their second or third year at firsts with a strong contingent of 16A which came second to Ashgrove in the prem.

As always their will be some surprises in both teams as it can be difficult to predict school selections.

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm sure Ben Geragthy, John Downes, Lachlan Tennison-Woods, Blake Rozka, Liam O'Kelly and Zach Hogan would be putting pressure on the year 12 lads for selection in the Marist side.

Dunc Johnston

Frank Nicholson (4)
The 16A battle between lauries and Ashgrove was very hotly contested last year, both teams well organised and played very hard physical games. Given the success of lauries 2nds and 16As, it'd be safe to say there would have been year 11 boys playing firsts who probably weren't up to it, hopefully for their sake the selections are a bit better next season.

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
It will be interesting to see what involvement Anthony Mathison has at Ashgrove next year. Word is he is returning as a teacher next year. Another pretty handy resource for the forward pack.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
From memory, Ash has 4 players (?) returning in 2017 from the 2016 1st XV. Three of them are backs so that leaves only 4 backline positions and 7 forward positions to fill. Last year's 16As will fill the majority of the forwards with some very robust, mobile forwards in the mix. There will definitely be a couple of 2018 'investments for the future' from the 15A team in the XV. I expect one will be a loose forward to then play at lock or 8 a season later in the 2018 team and the other will be an outside back to play closer to the action in year 12.

Good to have pressure and competition from year 11 and year 10 boys for spots. There's a good cohort coming through the school - skilled and very fit.

With the first comp game on April 29 v Padua, hopefully the boys will get some decent trials before and during the Easter holidays to prepare. Probably only one trial during Term 2 before Round 1.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
As a Marist old boy, we need Lauries to be dominant the way the all blacks need the wallabies to be.

I can't fathom how a school with 101 years of tradition and some very very good rugby alumni can sit back and think that re appointing coaches who've won 2 games in 3 years is a good move.

I know with Marist Jon Fitzgerald has been moved on. Now this is a guy who has coached Marist for close to 10 years with an average of 5 wins a season but with only 2 premierships to his name, is considered not good enough. I guess there differentiating outlooks on success says a lot about the schools. Marist have still finished top 3 every year not being deemed enough.

I guess Marist 1st XV now won't have Lauries to worry about.

I respectfully disagree. Pencil in May 27 - it will be the match of the year.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
From memory, Ash has 4 players (?) returning in 2017 from the 2016 1st XV. Three of them are backs so that leaves only 4 backline positions and 7 forward positions to fill. Last year's 16As will fill the majority of the forwards with some very robust, mobile forwards in the mix. There will definitely be a couple of 2018 'investments for the future' from the 15A team in the XV. I expect one will be a loose forward to then play at lock or 8 a season later in the 2018 team and the other will be an outside back to play closer to the action in year 12.

Good to have pressure and competition from year 11 and year 10 boys for spots. There's a good cohort coming through the school - skilled and very fit.

With the first comp game on April 29 v Padua, hopefully the boys will get some decent trials before and during the Easter holidays to prepare. Probably only one trial during Term 2 before Round 1.

I'm pretty sure you'll see John Downes from this year's 15A's playing 6 for MCA next year.

In 2016 Downes won the Australian U15 weightlifting title (national record of 130kg in the clean and jerk), won the State shot put title and played in the Qld U15 rugby team, so not a bad trifecta.

This bloke is 90kg of lean muscle who also runs 12s flat for the 100m, probably one of the best all-round athletes Ashgrove has ever seen. He'll be pretty scary by the time he gets to Year 12 but more than handy next year.

And no, I'm not related....

Status
Not open for further replies.