• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy Jack

Frank Row (1)
The U15 Schools League tournament was played this weekend just gone in Cairns - won by Met West and with 2 x QLD Teams named , Maroon and White , 20 to a team

Knowing that there is a strong attraction to Rugby League for a lot of boys who attend AIC Schools and play Club League instead of Rugby - it was interesting to note that there was not 1 x AIC boy selected out of the Top 40 boys selected

What's the go ?

Did schools not allow boys to trial ?

I note only Padua's Danny Heenan made either team last year ( the White Team )

Note : A lot of these boys who participated - especially in the Met West, East and North teams - maybe even South Coast - will likely roll up again for the Rugby Schools tournament , and so , the League tournament is a reasonable barometer for how the Rugby tournament may go

I understand not many AIC kids trialed because the carnival was over a weekend of the AIC rugby season. Don't let that interfere with your statistical analysis in degrading the AIC rugby competition though...... 92.3% of stats are made up anyway right?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Easy Jack old chum

A simple explanation of season clash and collective Rugby bosses at AIC Schools not being prepared to facilitate would have sufficed.

I just find that interesting given that AIC , across the main , is very League centric - in terms of , where hearts and minds are with many in the top end of the talent pool

Happy Jack

Frank Row (1)
Easy Jack old chum

A simple explanation of season clash and collective Rugby bosses at AIC Schools not being prepared to facilitate would have sufficed.

I just find that interesting given that AIC , across the main , is very League centric - in terms of , where hearts and minds are with many in the top end of the talent pool

Sorry mate, long time reader, recent contributor.........not like this was a one off crack at AIC rugby by you. Not sure I can agree with the league centric thing either given the interest shown in league players by GPS schools. One could argue one of the reasons for rugby pathway programs not producing rugby players is league players that are offered positions in programs (and schools) with no interest in playing rugby after school (and good on them for getting the opportunity) Just saying. Grade 12 could be three of the best years of their life........especially if they row....too harsh?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
UHJ

Not harsh at all and no offense taken by me re : doing Grade 12 over 2 years - and specifically for Rugby / Rowers as you reference . I'm actually an advocate of it for a lot of good reasons - educational and athletic - especially in the post schooling student / athlete pathways.

If you have been a long term reader you will have seen that I have actually been a supporter / believer of AIC talent . I'm on record in believing some of the guys I've seen in the 15's 16's and a couple in the Opens in particular are some of the best I've seen in their age groups . This is clear and I've posted accordingly . Most recently in an U15 Div 1 Club Game of 33 participating players , 22 of them at GPS Schools , 8 at AIC Schools and 3 x elsewhere - my BOG was ( gulp ) an AIC player! Wot !

I just don't think there is any real depth but I don't believe I continually beat that drum. If you are offended or felt compelled to post to have a swing maybe the problem is yours.

Sure GPS Schools has taken on a slew of Rugby League players over the years but more and more ( so you know ) the lustre of such an opportunity is being lost on the prototypical Rugby League recruit . And yes , IGS , High , GT , Nudgee and BBC allowed their U15 boys who wished to participate - to participate

It seems as though these schools will allow their boys to participate through their school Rugby season - even going so far as to possibly schedule mid week rounds to accommodate school commitments and a carnival such as this

My question , which you ultimately answered as being due to a School Rugby scheduling issue , I noted as interesting given the high level of interest in league for a large number of boys who attend AIC Schools - and where collectively , AIC administrators seemingly didn't act on it to give their boys the opportunity to trial and participate

And yes , I did use " league centric " in an encompassing AIC context - not to piss in your cheerios - but because in my observation which in part includes a lot of stuff that is posted on the AIC threads , in this , and seasons past - seems to indicate a significant league bias for a large number of participants in AIC Rugby.....Padua , Pats , Iona , Eddies ....even Lauries and Marist have shown decent numbers in recent years leading to Marist flirting with the Confraternity Shield 18 months ago ( or whenever it was ) which was clear recognition that they had boys where league was important to them ( or at least a curiousity to others )

GPS Schools have a small handful of league players ( well not IGS or High ) but everyone else has between 5% to 10% of registered players per age group .

AIC has considerably more and the ratio of League to Rugby players in AIC schools will continue to increase over the next 5-10 years IMO

Your initial tit for tat retort about GPS Schools having league players too ( duh ) is one I couldn't give a square root about - my initial query was a recognition of very very good talent in the AIC system that does float across league and rugby and where there is a big level of participation and interest from AIC students in league - and why AIC administrators didn't find a way to facilitate the opportunity

You seem to construe that as dastardly disrespect to AIC when I queried why there has only been 1 x QLD U15 Rep in 2 teams ( across 2 years )

FWIW - I'm an AIC old boy as is my Father- nothing but fond memories

But a range of dynamics have changed the landscape and I don't see the same dynamics that drove our experience of Rugby as schoolboys coming back

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
And so you know what your talking about and trying to sledge on -leaguies don't row

It's too hard for them - haven't got the mindset

They also don't do Grade 12 over 2 years as they generally are eager to try out for their U20 NRL Contract at a minimum $50k a year plus free tertiary or a free trade

Lolinski

Bob McCowan (2)
Marist 66 to SPLC 14

Frustrating the number of penalties Marist gave away. As a team they were solid, bar a few forced passes and a couple of errors in decision making. SPLC were valiant, tried their best but just couldn't keep up with the pace and power of Marist. Score line could have been much worse

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Villa are none from 3, after 3.
Still Padua and MCA to come, which they cant be looking forward to.
They will certainly end up in the bottom few this year.

Stan Walker 33

Frank Row (1)
And so you know what your talking about and trying to sledge on -leaguies don't row

It's too hard for them - haven't got the mindset

They also don't do Grade 12 over 2 years as they generally are eager to try out for their U20 NRL Contract at a minimum $50k a year plus free tertiary or a free trade

Seriously you are off the Mark as always..............keep it up, in context the comments are amusing.

ThisOlThing

Bob McCowan (2)
Any score from the Laurie's v pats game??
26-17 to St Pats at Curlew. St Pats really took it to SLC and deserved their win. Played with passion and really stood up. SLC had very little ball and were struggling in the conditions. A testament to St Pats defense, which was very good. The back row for St Pat caused havoc especially the big #8. SLC fullback once again caused the opposition headaches but ST Pats defense too good. A lot of the SLC supporters having a whine about the amount of turnover of the ball through kicking away possession. Tend to agree again with them though. Kudos to the St Pats supporters who were in fine voice and really lent their support to the boys today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hands like feet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Lauries scored the first 2 tries, good field position from kicking allowed them to do so. After that; put simply Pats bashed them into submission, that defence was first class, some big shots put on a number of lauries players. Lauries had no plan B in attack and went gun shy. The conditions were fine, yet still the usual amounts of drop ball. Lauries just had no answers and the boys were trying hard but they needed some direction, 9 and 10 are good game managers but they've been failed by whatever instructions are given to them as well as by the constant drop ball. The constant winging about excess kicking is frustrating, when they get field position they score tries and with a team who drops the ball as often as this one does, Limiting the opportunities they have to drop the ball is not a bad ploy.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Anoyone gonna talk about the eddies victory or not. Is it because you can't all come to terms with an Ipswich team beating a Brisbane team ?

If the rest of this forum is like me, they haven't posted, and didn't t intend to post, about the Eddies v Villa result for at least three reasons.

Firstly, Eddies winning was hardly a massive shock given the game was at Ipswich, Eddies have been going OK and Villa haven't won a game.

Secondly, the Eddies rugby record in recent years is significantly better than Villa's, so the win is not that newsworthy and certainly has no impact on the competition.

Finally, we're not associated with either school and weren't at the game.

Happy to read your comments on the game though, if you have any.

David0903

Frank Row (1)
If the rest of this forum is like me, they haven't posted, and didn't t intend to post, about the Eddies v Villa result for at least three reasons.

Firstly, Eddies winning was hardly a massive shock given the game was at Ipswich, Eddies have been going OK and Villa haven't won a game.

Secondly, the Eddies rugby record in recent years is significantly better than Villa's, so the win is not that newsworthy and certainly has no impact on the competition.

Firstly eddies and villa were both in the same positions going into the game. Both teams had 2 losses to their names.

Secondly not news worthy ? Eddies were predicted to lose by 14

Finally did I personally call you out and say "old mate galloper why aren't you talking about the eddies win" there is more than just you in this forum big fella.

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
Lauries started really well and it was looking promising at 10-0. Then they helped Pats back into the game by dropping the ball after the kickoff, a kick off out on the full after Pats scored and then another penalty after that and before you know it is 14-10. From that point onwards Pats dominated. They were more physical, had a superior set piece and well coached. The amount of crash balls that Lauries seem to put to ground and general ill discipline and poor decision making is a constant weekly theme. I thought the Lauries 12 played quite well and was trying to make something happen. The 1 and 15 didn't have their best games unfortunately. The 8 for Pats was fantastic. Atmosphere was great as usual to, credit to the Pats supporters who really make it tough for opposition teams.

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)

Eddies played the smarter rugby - wet and greasy conditions meant that the back line of Villa - and their strength , being the centres just couldn't get clean ball to play - all three Villa tries were scored but their forwards from line out mauls. Eddies played smart in the wet weather and kept turning Villa around so they had to play in their own half. Considering Eddies had 3 yellow cards and still won says a lot about their defence.

Villa are now none from 3 and really missed their regular 8 and 6 who were both out injured yesterday.

Well done to Eddies however Villa have been competitive in every match they have played and after last years debacle of a showing at least they are now matching it. Even if they don't know how to go on and win from a lead.

Third week in a row Villa has turned down very kickable penalties , which would have applied score board pressure to the opposition at critical moments of the game.

Overall I would say an improving Villa and Eddies is good for the Comp. Although if Villa don't apply better game management I can't see them troubling Padua next week.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Did Villa not have a mid week match with their Sydney brothers St Augustine's. Could this not have impacted on their performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.