• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2019

P

Patriot

Some good points. I asked the question because I went to an AIC school in the 80/90s and in my opinion the was not much difference between AIC and GPS as far as quality of games and players. Nowadays there is a massive, massive difference in favour of GPS and AIC seemed to have given up on trying to raise the bar and have opted for “progressive” options rather than tradition. When I went to school it was expected that you play Rugby for the good of the school. My son attends a GPS school and I cannot fault the commitment to Rugby and the outstanding excellence of the program

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Also it double the amount of games of "footy" each year. Can only be good for these school. If they get good coaches in it should be a benefit to the rugby program.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
The forerunner to AIC , the TAS competition in the 80's ( and in all years prior ) had Home and Away rounds through Term 2 and 3 . I assume GPS was the same way back when.

P

Patriot

That’s right mate TAS
An old De La Salle boy misses those days

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
Rugby god,... you are way off on this one.... its still just a year max difference. When prep started they moved the school intake to July thru June.AIC have simply done the same with sport to make sure boys are playing with their cohort. In GPS (since July 2002 birth year) , now you will be playing with half your team made up from another year....I think the AIC system will keep more kids playing sport. Either way its the same maximum age difference of 12 months. ( I guess unless grade 9 was the best 3 years of your life ).

Galloper, yes SLC encouraging all round skill development over boredom and meaningless training.

Jerts...I dont know if AFL is "lending a hand" but the SLC coach is the big sauce Daniel Merritt.....if only Qld or Aus rugby could help out AIC rugby with some big names.

GO, remembering back to when there was 3 x 14 week terms life was simpler hey. Nothing but Rugby for 14 weeks. Aussie rules was basically unheard of in this part of the world.

DTOM, Vale De Lasalle....we miss them ...speaking of the intro of RLeague, alot of DeLa boys were Redcliffe RL players and they could really play both codes...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SLC are playing ATC this Friday. Not sure if it will be SLC's Firsts? Hope not. ATC missing probably half a dozen of their best through other commitments. Depth not a strength there just yet.

Serge Blanco

Allen Oxlade (6)
It is a shame that it couldn't be sorted this year... I understand both SLC and Villa have 5 players each in the Met East squad which must have am impact on their First XV performance in Round 1 of the AIC comp.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Hats off to both schools for supporting the representative pathway for their students.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Padua 12 - 7 SCGS.

Interesting.

SCGS had a core of players that formed the nucleus of a Sunshine Coast regional team that came 3rd in the State Championships a couple of years ago with a few boys going on to higher Rep honours and maybe 1 or 2 now in the U18 Reds Academy

No disrespect but I would have expected the result to be the other way around

Preseason I know ......

So who looks the goods on Padua’s team this year BS6 ?

What Padua and SPC boys are playing Met North ? Woukd be interesting to know given the 12 x Terrace boys that nominated

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
SLC and SPC have moved their first Firsts game ( only ) a week before.....sensible.
But I cant recall a stand alone Firsts game ?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
The Paduans look set for a promising season where they shouldn't be taken lightly

I think you hit the nail on the head though BS6 .....it's about protecting your own attack ball and if team's can't do that then you don't win

That's why MCA have done as well as they have over the last few years as I don't know that a lot of the other schools respect possession enough