• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Alistair Coetzee is officially Springbok coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The worst kept secret after a litany of lies that SARU was going through "process". The only coach of color that could be given the job with a straight face.

Now where is gets really funny is his backline coach. Mzwandile Stick. A sevens player who has only recently started coaching. He is the assistant coach of the EP Kings u/21 side. Yes, the bankrupt Eastern Province Union.

Just to put this in perspective. Think for a moment the Wallaby backline coach is announced as a youngster who coached as an assistant at a lower grade club somewhere in the bush and has never coached senior rugby players. Never.

Can't be bothered posting a link.

South Africa has become a joke for many reasons and now the rugby has descended to a new level.

This is the first time a bok coach will not have my backing at all. I kind of feel sorry for Coetzee. He will fail. But I suspect the bar has not been set high. Win a few tests and reach the goal of 50% black players in the 23 by 2019. That's it. Paypacket done.

Good luck Alistair. You are going to need it. The crap you coached at the Stormers until last year will deliver a 40 to 50% win ratio.

It's been fun but I am not putting myself through this. Too much disappointment and this is going to be too painful to watch.

Someone needs to beat the All Blacks. Wallabies and England, you are on your own. SA will serve as practice runs giving the AB forwards a workout but that is it.

Blue out. I'm taking a sabbatical. Fuck this.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I like the way he smothers his righteous anger with resigned indignation.

So smoulder. Wow. Many dejection.

Reactions: mst

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Luckily for AC, Heyneke Meyer did not set high standards.

SA Rugby will go through a transito period. Myself don't watch much S18 anymore, I walk line with the schoolboys.

If this is anything the future look bright with both teams 50% PoC representing on merit

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Blue

This is the first time a bok coach will not have my backing at all.
Just like you like Piet Snor. Must be their skin colour that gets to you.
South Africa has become a joke for many reasons and now the rugby has descended to a new level.
Blue out. I'm taking a sabbatical. Fuck this.
South Africa and the Springboks don't need supporters like you, please join the Cape Crusader lot without front teeth who support the SA team Bulls, Crusaders and All Blacks.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
great name eh, the journos will be having a mild flog at the headline possibilities there
"Boks Stick Stick to Stick"

It's been fun but I am not putting myself through this.
Oh you'll do it alright. You'll see. Every Friday night after the inevitable fuckhead Blues loss I say fuck this there must be something better to do on a Friday night yet there I am next Friday night, bolting home as if shot from the cock of Thor to watch the last 60 minutes of the derailment in glorious 60" HD bought specifically for the purpose.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sadly the Springboks pre backline coach is worse then Stick and have a record to prove it. I have never been a big fan of Coetzee but vok knows its unfair to write him off before he and his coaching staff haven't even started.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Congrats to Allister Coetzee for getting the Bok gig though it will be a bit of a poisoned chalice.

He is the nicest guy of all the Super Rugby coaches but that won't help him.

The government, through the Sports Minister has decreed that the Boks will be 50/50 white and black by 2019.

Living outside the republic many of us thought that quotas in cricket and rugby were acceptable at the level below the national team, and that such a constraint was acceptable in Sunfoil cricket and Currie Cup rugby, but that it should not be imposed at the national level which was the window to the world of those two sports—and hence the best players should be picked to represent the country regardless of quotas.

After all, we thought, the non-whites would have been afforded a chance to show their wares at a decent level of the two sports that they would not have otherwise got. And if they weren't good enough to get the approval of the national selectors (who selfishly wanted to get good results for their country), too bad.

But the government has decided to use the national interest in the two sports as a weapon. Put yourselves in their position: whatever we think about the inheritors of of the transformation produced by Mandela, Tambo, Sisulu and others, you can't blame them for using the two sports as a tool for further reformation.

As much as we lovers of the two sports want to jump up and down and insist on their providing the best teams (albeit maybe with a sneaky Aussie thought that we may benefit from it), we don't have the agenda the black politicians have.

They want to use the selections of the national teams as a tool to lift non-whites higher, and results are secondary.

We can't understand that view about as much as they don't understand the merits of our view.

Their view is longer and since they have been down-trodden for hundreds of years, who are we to say they are doing the wrong thing, long-term, for their constituents?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
As much as your points are well made Lee, it still doesn't alter my view that racial quotas in any sphere are wrong. I think South African rugby will suffer in the long run for it and that they will lose more player overseas as a result. To my mind supporting the development of young black and coloured players in the provinces and schools is the way to go and let them compete on an equal footing for representative spots.

But that's just me and I appreciate that I'm not South African, nor do I live there. The locals may feel differently, as is their right.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I used to jump up and down about qoutas but not any more. Its simple, ask the Saffer jumping up and down about PoCs at his alma mater and he haven't realize that his own school mix has changed. I posted an example earlier and I can see no problem whatoever about the quality of the rugby those schoolboy teams plays. The quality is so good that I don't even watch S18 rugby anymore.

We cant control the system in real life in SA but we surely can do the right thing and that is to contribute to poor talented sport kids in many ways.

I have a son playing provincial sport and have my feet on the ground with the kids. Vok they don't even worry about this kak, they just want to jol.

This doesn't mean I support the system, I just want to be practical and support my beloved Springbok.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
All the best to Coetzee and his coaching staff.

Also best wishes to RSA rugby on their transformation journey, like many I find the methodology uncomfortable. If quotas appeared in Aus I'd fight it. But I can only hope for the best in RSA.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
My guess as captain will be Duanne Vermeulen , now that he can select chicken runners.

SA Rugby don't have the depth after Meyer and Saru wreck the ship.
S24
Boks don’t have All Blacks’ depth - Roux

Cape Town - There is not enough depth in the country for SA Rugby to prevent the new Springbok coach from picking overseas-based players, CEO Jurie Roux believes.
Roux spoke to Netwerk24 after the announcement of Allister Coetzee as the new Springbok coach earlier this week.
It was confirmed that for the 2016 season, the status quo regarding the availability of overseas players for the national team would remain as is.
“We have to build depth. If we decide today that overseas Boks are taboo, then we’ll lose the services of six or seven top players,” said Roux.
“I’m not a selector, but there are several overseas players who are now the best in their positions.
“There is merit in the criticism SARU is copping over the policy, but we also want the team to win.”
Roux said the issue will again be reviewed at the end of the 2016 season.
According to Roux, there are several factors that need to be considered when determining the availability of overseas players for the Springboks.
“One of them is that we don’t have same amount of depth as the All Blacks,” he said.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Surely there would be enough depth in South Africa

1. Mtawarira
2. Strauss, Ntubeni
3. A Lions prop? A dude called van der Merwe? Surely there are enough front row stocks in SA
4. Etzebeh
5. De Jager
6. Coetzee
7. Burger, the big black guy from Cheetahs? Kolisi? Carr?
8. Whiteley
9. Paige? De Klerk?
10. Pollard? The Young gun from Stormers du Plessis?
11. Mwovo
12. Serfontein
13. Kriel
14. JPP
15. Le Roux, Kolbe

Im not an avid SA rugby follower and that is just out the top of my head and yes you would like to have guys like Bismarck, Vermeulen, Flouw and maybe Habana.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
13006481_1035386816532400_8629085535389604607_n.jpg
There are two options
Plan A
S24
The ANC have distanced themselves from remarks made by Strike Ralegoma, in which he called for the Springbok emblem to be removed from the national rugby team's jersey.

Ralegoma asked for the Springbok's removal during Tuesday's meeting of South Africa's parliamentary portfolio committee on sport and recreation.

In a press release issued on Wednesday, the ANC stated that Ralegoma's views were not those of the party.

The release read:

The African National Congress has noted the remarks attributed to ANC Member of Parliament and Member of the Portfolio Committee on Sports, Comrade Strike Ralegoma, calling for the emblem of the National Rugby Team, the Springbok, to be changed. His remarks are not derived from a policy position of the ANC. Accordingly , the ANC distances itself from the remarks made by Comrade Strike Ralegoma.
Plan B
Get John Deere tractors as sponsor

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ "Plan A" is good news, somehow I just can't contemplate a SA/ NZ Test without the Bokke somewhere on your jersey. "Plan B" is surely a piss-take?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
great name eh, the journos will be having a mild flog at the headline possibilities there

Oh you'll do it alright. You'll see. Every Friday night after the inevitable fuckhead Blues loss I say fuck this there must be something better to do on a Friday night yet there I am next Friday night, bolting home as if shot from the cock of Thor to watch the last 60 minutes of the derailment in glorious 60" HD bought specifically for the purpose.

Those of us who have supported the Waratahs since before super rugby know your pain. It what makes the good seasons so good when they finally arrive.:)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
My guess as captain will be Duanne Vermeulen , now that he can select chicken runners.

SA Rugby don't have the depth after Meyer and Saru wreck the ship.
S24

Although, no one has the same depth as the All Blacks, and the Boks have significantly more depth than the Wallabies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
All the best to Coetzee and his coaching staff.

Also best wishes to RSA rugby on their transformation journey, like many I find the methodology uncomfortable. If quotas appeared in Aus I'd fight it. But I can only hope for the best in RSA.

I think that reports of the demise of SA rugby are premature and possibly exagerated.

Unfortnately, any time that politicians involve themselves in just about anything it causes problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.