• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks 3N squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
All Blacks Tri-Nations squad: Forwards: John Afoa, Wyatt Crockett, Aled de Malmanche, Jason Eaton, Bryn Evans, Owen Franks, Andrew Hore, Jerome Kaino, Tanerau Latimer, Richie McCaw (captain), Keven Mealamu, Kieran Read, Isaac Ross, Rodney So'oialo, Brad Thorn, Neemia Tialata, Tony Woodcock.

Backs: Jimmy Cowan, Stephen Donald, Hosea Gear, Cory Jane, Brendon Leonard, Luke McAlister, Mils Muliaina, Ma'a Nonu, Josevata Rokocoko, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Conrad Smith, Isaia Toeava, Piri Weepu.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
My Fern account has f**ked out for now so you just inherited an irate Kiwi correspondent. Rejoice, heathens... ;)

Latimer retained, Eaton recalled, Sivi, The Greatest and So'oialo back from injury. Toeava's injured. I am a happy kid as long as C Smith is fit. Donald's hammy is still dodgey, Stephen Brett - also known for his part in a Broadway musical "The Turnstile" - has been called in as cover.

Fat boy Tialata still there, Owen Franks sent back to club ruggers. Ghey. Hopefully Fat boy can over indulge and fall over in training so Franks comes in, or at least prove me wrong.

I will now take a few questions.... :afro:

S

Spook

Carter gone for whole 3Ns?

I assume we'll see:

1. Woodcock
2. Hore
3. Tialata
4. Thorn
5. Ross
6. Kaino
7. McCaw
8. Rodney
9. Cowan (I'd pick Leonard)
10. Donald
11. Rock
12. Nonu
13. Smith
14. Sivi
15. Mills

16. Mealamu
17. Afoa
18. Eaton
19. Read/Latimer
20. Leonard
21. McAlister
22. Ice

Some real strike power off the bench in terms of backs.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
[Mitchstyle] Good question Spook and I'm glad you asked it. [/mitchstyle]

Carter is running around in Christchurch club rugby from what has been reported. I think we'll see him back earlier than expected if the Blacks go down a couple of games in a row. Totally on the cards that if we can struggle through without rushing his recovery, we will.

They'll more than likely go with Leonard, the desire is strong to see him and Donald combine as they did in the Chiefs. I hope so. As much as I like Pisshead Cowan on form, I feel Leonard has abilility around the ruck fringes that is a bit above the other halfbacks, Weepu to bench for the 65min mark sub. At least, that's what Graham and I were thinking in the pub...

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sivivatu is the best attacking player in world rugby for mine, he'll make a massive difference for the All Blacks.

I assume we'll see:

1. Woodcock
2. Hore
3. Tialata
4. Thorn
5. Ross
6. Kaino
7. McCaw
8. Rodney
9. Cowan (I'd pick Leonard)
10. Donald
11. Rock
12. Nonu
13. Smith
14. Sivi
15. Mills

16. Mealamu
17. Afoa
18. Eaton
19. Read/Latimer
20. Leonard
21. McAlister
22. Ice

I'd start Leonard before Cowen & probably drop Rockococo for Masaga on form but Henry will go with experience for the Bledisloe.

Otherwise a very strong team, only weakness maybe Donald & McAlistair at flyhalf but if Donald can recapture his super 14 form he'll go alright.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
disco said:
Masaga is gone from the squad for now mate

Oops didn't even pick that up, well Rock it is.
Yeah, bullshit decision if you ask me, Hosea Gear shines for the JAB's and Masaga gets called in as cover to be unused cover in France I, dropped from France II, then used vs Italy (where he did make one booboo not booting it upfield inside his own 22, trying to run it up, granted but look at how many chances we give Piss/Toeava, Rok... I have digressed...), and now dropped from the squad. All the AB coaches have done is deny him game time, deny him the chance to visit his granny in Samoa, and play him in a test with a balls up of a "gameplan". I'm a Henry supporter, but sometimes I am left scratching my crabs in marvel at the decisions they make.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Welcome Scorz
As usual a strong AB team, but maybe a few more potential chinks in the armour than in other years.
Obviously 10 could be problematic depending on Donald playing to S14 form, and the backline combos will need to gel again with players coming back.
Same too for Rodney who was not at his best in S14 I thought, but has more than enough good test performances behind him to ever be discounted. Who knows with McCaw, but have to assume he'll come back and play well.
Tialata not as fearsome a prospect to face.
I'd have Leonard at 9, and despite being a big fan of Rok over the years, I feel he has been a bit lucky to push Masaga out based on this year's form alone. But again, runs on the board I guess.
Bring on the 3N!!

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Brett as cover over Slade? Granted Slade is a few years younger, but he certainly looked the better player in the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup). Masaga did get screwed. He would have been better served shining in the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) like Gear did, than picking up splinters on the pine for the big boys. The All Blacks this year are only going to go as well as their flyhalf. Donald or Evens, pick your poisen. Either way, you are not looking pretty. Carter can't heal up fast enough.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
rustycruiser said:
Brett as cover over Slade? Granted Slade is a few years younger, but he certainly looked the better player in the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup). Masaga did get screwed. He would have been better served shining in the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) like Gear did, than picking up splinters on the pine for the big boys. The All Blacks this year are only going to go as well as their flyhalf. Donald or Evens, pick your poisen. Either way, you are not looking pretty. Carter can't heal up fast enough.
Evans? You mean Luke McAlister Agree on Slade, agree on Masaga, hope like hell Donald can suddenly find the extra gear.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
C'mon then Scorz, having seen the piss poor lead up matches, what are your worries, both in cattle and tactics with this mob going into the 3Ns?

We promise not to send them on to Dingo.

(welcome by the way)

S

Spook

Sounds like Lucky Luke will be starting in the Eden Park test :eek:

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Gagger said:
C'mon then Scorz, having seen the piss poor lead up matches, what are your worries, both in cattle and tactics with this mob going into the 3Ns?

We promise not to send them on to Dingo.

(welcome by the way)
I reckon the big worries are not kicking the goals, and not having the accuracy for kicking tactically. And Brett, who can;t kick for shit sometimes, has been called in as cover for Donald's spot.
Not far behind that is if C Smith goes down the midfield, effectively it reduces Nonu to a brainless lump, so our 10-12-13 becomes a liability. Toeava is out for the first 3 games, and with Kahui gone we are also down to our 4th choice midfielder. Outside backs will hardly see the ball and be reduced to chasing dumb kicks.
I am expecting our forwards to man up and get us through this patch though. McCaw and So'oialo of course, but Woodcock, Hore/Mealamu, Thorn, and Kaino will be the same performers.

Get the ball via McCaw, bash it up with Hore/Mealamu, Thorn and Kaino with Richie and Rodders running ruck security, anytime we are inside our own 30m mark hoof it up and chase, tackle like mental pricks as always.

We might not be as attacking minded for a bit, but don't expect a soft effort. The AB's should be pretty pissed off at the run of shitty form and injuries and w's in the media writing them off, and a pissed off bunch of AB's is a dangerous prospect.

H

Harfish

Scorz said:
Carter is running around in Christchurch club rugby from what has been reported.

As G&GR's unofficial Christchurch correspondent I have to correct you here. Carter hasn't actually played any club rugby yet altho he is back training and may or may not be training with his club side, High School Old Boys.

Current word is he'll be turning out for Canterbury in the Air New Zealand Cup, but that may not happen as he may get the call up to the All Blacks for some of the later Tri-Nations games.

Will let you know more once I go along to a couple of media session with Canterbury.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
the gambler said:
Thanks Scorz. Just ruin all the confidence I had been buidling up. Rugby really is a simple game.
:laugh: I'm not confident!

I would love to see us get some real rolling mauls going and Nonu/Rok running angles from close to the pass off from those mauls every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.