• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks Northern Tour 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Fellas, what I saying is the year before 2011 WC we lost 2 had a few close results, year before 15 WC we lost 1 drew 1, and some real close results, you know the best we looked, was 2006 the year before 07 WC, lost 1 but touched everyone up, seem to recall the year before 03 WC was similar!! We don't win the WC this year, and I would remind you of all the internet experts that assured us before 15 WC how much to old Richie was, and actually were calling for quite a few of the ABs to be culled! As I said we not guaranteed of winning, never have been, never will be, but I can assure you, there are not many rugby supporters in the world wouldn't mind having our team, and or coaching set up.
All I say don't panic , we even getting zer0 making comments he hoping ABs lose to Boks and Argos next year to make his point, well that's not the talk of a supporter!

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I can't recall 2014 clearly -- which suggests that it wasn't that bad -- but the performances in 2010 were significantly better than this season. More importantly, both the 2010/2011 and 2014/2015 sides had:
  • The services of the greatest first five in the professional era
  • Unparalleled depth behind him at first five
  • A significantly better captain in McCaw
  • A significantly better coaching team thanks to the presence of Henry (2010/2011), Smith and Byrne
The current sides failures are also not confined to this season. They date back to, at least, the Lions series. Arguably the 2016 EOYT. So it's hardly as if you can write it off as a bad year, like you could with 2009. It's got to the point where you can outline an emerging, downward, trend that's closely tied to Barrett being figured out by everyone, bar Australia, and Farrell Super Rugby's rush defence.

All I say don't panic , we even getting zer0 making comments he hoping ABs lose to Boks and Argos next year to make his point, well that's not the talk of a supporter!

It would be daft to panic over an organisation over which I have zero influence over. Disappointment and frustration would be more apt adjectives. And support doesn't equate to blind fanaticism. By that logic I'd be fully supportive of Lowe's forearm smash by virtue of his wearing a black jersey at the time. Besides, if you're going to pursue that line of reasoning, then I guess you must believe many of the Australians on here aren't 'proper' Wallabies fans, as there's plenty hoping that the Wallabies get dusted in the hopes that Cheika is removed/resigns. I've been there with the Butcher of Onehunga at the Blues, so can fully appreciate that sentiment.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
really want to have Dan's faith. And Hansen has earned the benefit of the doubt. but ffs. Here and now, it's just not a very good team. With little potential for improvement if Hansen and his puku-sized ego have tied their little boats to Barrett at 1st 5 despite the fact even Blind Freddy has him figured out in that position. Can Hansen's pride allow him to make the really hard calls? Remember Woodcock was dropped DURING the last RWC. At this stage in 2014, NMS was an absolute nobody.100 cap Mils dropped for good on the eve of RWC2011 after an impeccable 10-year tenure at fullback. Now we've got shades of 91 with Owen Franks.There is no room for fucking around here and "repaying" those who got you there. Never been the AB way. 46 tries in 54 tests and lost a step at the age of 27? NEXT.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I can't recall 2014 clearly -- which suggests that it wasn't that bad -- but the performances in 2010 were significantly better than this season.(quote)

Take my word for it 2014 was pretty similar to this year, we struggled a bit. 2010 was reasonably close all year, and we actually lost twice leading up to the WC in 2011, I was at Sunsorp the week Wallabies beat us straight after the Boks had beaten us, I still remeber the Aussie supporters telling me how past it mcCaw etc were and when was the last time the ABs had lost 2 in a row. I pointed out was 2 years before and then we went on another 12-12 winning streak. There is nothing we can do about the fact that a couple of players in a generation retired after the last WC,with a few other real greats, in fact I think the coaching panel we have has done great to get results they have. Byrne doesn't seem to have done much for the Wallabies has he?

It would be daft to panic over an organisation over which I have zero influence over. Disappointment and frustration would be more apt adjectives. And support doesn't equate to blind fanaticism. By that logic I'd be fully supportive of Lowe's forearm smash by virtue of his wearing a black jersey at the time. Besides, if you're going to pursue that line of reasoning, then I guess you must believe many of the Australians on here aren't 'proper' Wallabies fans, as there's plenty hoping that the Wallabies get dusted in the hopes that Cheika is removed/resigns. I've been there with the Butcher of Onehunga at the Blues, so can fully appreciate that sentiment.(quote)

To say I approve of Loe's (that's how you spell it) is ridiculous, but to also suggest I am inferring that that the Wallabies fans that are hoping that the Wallabies lose are not real Wallaby supporters, you would be correct. If you are supporter of a team, you support the TEAM, not the individuals coaching or playing in the team. And to wish your own supposed team to lose is not the act of a TEAM supporter. I have followed a few teams that have been pretty rubbish in my life, and some I knew were badly coached, I NEVER wanted them to lose!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
really want to have Dan's faith. And Hansen has earned the benefit of the doubt. but ffs. Here and now, it's just not a very good team. With little potential for improvement ifHansen and his puku-sized ego have tied their little boats to Barrett at 1st 5 despite the fact even Blind Freddy has him figured out in that position. Can Hansen's pride allow him to make the really hard calls? Remember Woodcock was dropped DURING the last RWC. At this stage in 2014, NMS was an absolute nobody.100 cap Mils dropped for good on the eve of RWC2011 after an impeccable 10-year tenure at fullback. Now we've got shades of 91 with Owen Franks.There is no room for fucking around here and "repaying" those who got you there. Never been the AB way. 46 tries in 54 tests and lost a step at the age of 27? NEXT.
Look I not saying there not stuff to work on DP, but FFS you must of read how many people etc were wanting Richie dropped before the last WC! For everyone I read that says Barrett should be dropped, or like Mark Reason says Read should go as captain and player, I read more from generally player, or ex players saying be buggered he is still the best 10 for ABs. I a real Mounga fan, but not sure he is absolute answer that some think, and I not party to what happens in training and exactly how the tweaks they trying to make are meant to work. All I say because we lose a couple of games it not all the end of the world!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
All that proved was just how crucial the opening game of RWC is gunna be, I'm no more (nor less) confident of a win now than I was before & can't help feeling that guys like TTT & Mo'unga coulda used the first 50-odd minutes not the last 30ish. Coles was magnificent, but.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Kind of agree there WOB, but with a thought that things went a little off when TTT and RM came on, and perhaps it didn't hurt for them to come on with the game well and truly put away. Quite hard to judge how well or otherwise they went as game went pretty messy when they came on, and were they one of the reasons, or just the forwards lost shape?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ by the time they got out there it was virtually an opposed training with pretty much everyone pulling out their party trick. Not what I wanted to see four Tests short of what's gotta be the toughest first-up RWC match we've ever had.

If what we've seen this EOYT is what we're gunna see in Japan I can see us playing another "Bronze Final" at best & unless it's against Straya or Argentina probably losing it.

I'm not for a minute suggesting that wholesale changes need to be made, just that we need to re-think the game plan. Our scrum is usually better than the oppo's so use it; we've the best lineout unit in the world so use it & the lineout drives that are also a weapon for us; we've got some pretty decent ball carriers to hit it up the narrow channels & commit defenders so ffs use them & THEN try the fancy-pants, blowfly-in-a-bottle shit.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
On the positive side, Schmidt will be announcing early next week whether he continues with Ireland or not. The Irish seem to be resigned to his moving on, and returning to NZ would seem to be his preferred option.

2J1bYzzVdAAYeB_u7c4_IWKB9HWvFi1pVFbRSLPNnTU.jpg

Assuming he returns to NZ, there's no Super Rugby positions available, and he won't be going to the NPC because, well, it's the NPC. That just leaves the All Blacks. I don't see him wanting to hitch his record on to Hansen's wagon -- who will have done his dash after 15 years, anyway -- and most definitely not Foster's. So it's head coach or bust.

In terms of his assistant, Cotter will likely be one. When Cotter applied in 2012, it was with the understanding that Schmidt was to be his assistant. Cotter has also said he wants to return to NZ once he's finished with Montpelier in 2019. In terms of his second assistant, they'd likely be a defence coach given Schmidt a backs/attack coach, and Cotter a forwards coach. Andy Farrell's name has been mentioned, and I'd be fully supportive of his inclusion. Not least of all because it means we won't have to go up against him, but also because he's clearly the best in the business at the moment. There have been some questioning whether we'd want an Englishman in the All Blacks setup. While I agree that the head coach should be an NZ'er, I don't see why a sufficiently excellent assistant's nationality would be a problem. We did, after all, have an Australian as our skills coach for nearly a decade.

I was firmly aboard the Schmidt and Cotter (or Cotter/Schmidt, as it was then) for AB's coaches bandwagon in 2011/12. While it may be about eight years too late for my liking, it would be better late than never.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Could certainly live with a Schmidt/Cotter team to zer0, while for mine nowhere near 8 years too late, I think it just about the right time. Then depends who else stands, think it a little early for Razor and co.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well, no need to confront any possible angst over English involvement in the AB's, as Farrell will be taking over Ireland after the 2019 RWC. Schmidt, on the other hand, may not be coaching at all after 2019.

"I have decided to finish coaching and will prioritise family commitments after the RWC in 2019."

If that is the case, and he decided he didn't have enough time with his family and epileptic son while coaching Ireland in the 6N -- where their longest journey is hopping over to Italy -- I don't see how going on week long jaunts across the Pacific and Indian oceans as part of the RC will fit into that.

Thus my next hope/conspiracy is that he's simply not wanting to take the wind out of Jabba's Christmas proclamation regarding his coaching future.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^ by the time they got out there it was virtually an opposed training with pretty much everyone pulling out their party trick. Not what I wanted to see four Tests short of what's gotta be the toughest first-up RWC match we've ever had.

If what we've seen this EOYT is what we're gunna see in Japan I can see us playing another "Bronze Final" at best & unless it's against Straya or Argentina probably losing it.

I'm not for a minute suggesting that wholesale changes need to be made, just that we need to re-think the game plan. Our scrum is usually better than the oppo's so use it; we've the best lineout unit in the world so use it & the lineout drives that are also a weapon for us; we've got some pretty decent ball carriers to hit it up the narrow channels & commit defenders so ffs use them & THEN try the fancy-pants, blowfly-in-a-bottle shit.

I think we all kidding ourselves if we think we seen the finalised gameplan going into WC, from any team. At this stage I still absolutely convinced who will win it, somehow suspect it will be between ABs, Boks,Irish and England who I think are looking really good (especially when Ford and Farrell play the 2 playmaker game). I won't pretend I know the game we should play at WC (probably one of reasons I not an international coach), but regardless of what it is, I still don't think we would be white hot favourites that I think some were suggesting last year as anybody could see how strong the NH teams were getting, and I not sure our players individually are all that much better than their's, some get a bit carried away with comparisons to Wallabies, who I don't think are that bad, just a bit of pace. I do think we will see Ben Smith at 14 though, because I noticed in replay of test on weekend how well the 2 playmaker works, was watching when Barrett took ball up and was caught in rucks etc, how quickly DMac slotted in at 1st/5. I suspect that is what they maybe trying to develop with rush defences. I don't really have a strong opinion who the 10-15 combo should be whether it RM-BB or BB-DMac. Just think as we come to end of the year we got a great WC to look forward to without there being any real guaranteed winner, which is how I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.