• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks v Argentina, 17th July, 2015, AMI stadium, Christchurch

Status
Not open for further replies.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
http://www.allblacks.com/News/27645/all-blacks-team-named-for-test-against-argentina

Exciting winger Waisake Naholo will make his Test debut, and another new All Black, hooker Codie Taylor, is on the reserves bench.

The team is:

1. Tony Woodcock (111)
2. Keven Mealamu (124)
3. Owen Franks (68)
4. Luke Romano (18)
5. Brodie Retallick (37)
6. Jerome Kaino (57)
7. Richie McCaw - captain (138)
8. Kieran Read (73)
9. TJ Perenara (11)
10. Daniel Carter (103)
11. Charles Piutau (15)
12. Sonny Bill Williams (24)
13. Ma'a Nonu (94)
14. Waisake Naholo
15. Israel Dagg (47)

Reserves:

16. Codie Taylor
17. Wyatt Crockett (37)
18. Nepo Laulala (1)
19. Jeremy Thrush (11)
20. Liam Messam (40)
21. Andy Ellis (27)
22. Colin Slade (18)
23. Ryan Crotty (14)

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Like the look of this team, but Dagg FFS! Surely this has to be his last chance to impress.
Looking forward to seeing how Laulala and Taylor fare against the Argie front row.
ABs by 9

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Dagg is surely on his last chance. Smith must be guaranteed a spot, so the only way Dagg can get in and push Smith to the wing is to have an absolute blinder.
I think Argentina are saving their best for Australia so I think it will be a comfortable margin.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
What is the story behind Piutau? I think he has been very strong during the two last S15 seasons, albeit being injured quite alot.

Are they giving him the first games to impress and take the last spot in the RWC back three(given that B. Smith and Savea take the first spots)?

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
http://www.allblacks.com/News/27645/all-blacks-team-named-for-test-against-argentina

Exciting winger Waisake Naholo will make his Test debut, and another new All Black, hooker Codie Taylor, is on the reserves bench.

The team is:

1. Tony Woodcock (111)
2. Keven Mealamu (124)
3. Owen Franks (68)
4. Luke Romano (18)
5. Brodie Retallick (37)
6. Jerome Kaino (57)
7. Richie McCaw - captain (138)
8. Kieran Read (73)
9. TJ Perenara (11)
10. Daniel Carter (103)
11. Charles Piutau (15)
12. Sonny Bill Williams (24)
13. Ma'a Nonu (94)
14. Waisake Naholo
15. Israel Dagg (47)

Reserves:

16. Codie Taylor
17. Wyatt Crockett (37)
18. Nepo Laulala (1)
19. Jeremy Thrush (11)
20. Liam Messam (40)
21. Andy Ellis (27)
22. Colin Slade (18)
23. Ryan Crotty (14)

SBW-Nonu is a couple that Wallabies can take advantage

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
MHS, I suspect the SBW/Nonu combo is only a trial to see who gets back up midfield spot, if it works may cost Crotty a spot, as they may use SBW on bench in WC, and play this duo in case Smith gets injured during game? Glad to see Naholo get a run, he's got one thing you can't replace , speed! All in all looks like he still trialling a few players while giving the Smith trio a rest, which is good as I think Ben and and Aaron in particular have had a hell of a lot of hard rugby over s15.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Quite a weird looking ABs side imo. Quite a few players I think are being given a last chance, or an opportunity, to show that they are up to standard - Woodcock, Mealamu, Carter, Piutau, SBW, Naholo and Dagg. On form, I don't think any of these would make the ABs' starting side and some might struggle to make the bench. And Ellis on the bench? A Smith being rested but would have thought TKB might edge Ellis for the third half back spot.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I am expecting that back line to look quite different for the Boks test. Obvious some very important players being rested - Smith, Smith, Savea, even Coles could be included.

Good chance for the Pumas to really push the ABs.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
MHS, I suspect the SBW/Nonu combo is only a trial to see who gets back up midfield spot, if it works may cost Crotty a spot, as they may use SBW on bench in WC, and play this duo in case Smith gets injured during game? Glad to see Naholo get a run, he's got one thing you can't replace , speed! All in all looks like he still trialling a few players while giving the Smith trio a rest, which is good as I think Ben and and Aaron in particular have had a hell of a lot of hard rugby over s15.

I agree. Conrad is too important for the ABs backline. He's the most effective back in defense

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Quite a weird looking ABs side imo. Quite a few players I think are being given a last chance, or an opportunity, to show that they are up to standard - Woodcock, Mealamu, Carter, Piutau, SBW, Naholo and Dagg. On form, I don't think any of these would make the ABs' starting side and some might struggle to make the bench. And Ellis on the bench? A Smith being rested but would have thought TKB might edge Ellis for the third half back spot.

Carter is a certainty to be the starting 10. Not being given an opportunity or last chance.
Dagg is in trouble if he doesn't play well.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Very pleased to see Naholo in the side. Congratulations to him for getting his debut cap.

Frank, you've been saying Dagg has been in trouble for about 2 seasons now.

Those mentioning TKB, he is still with the Maori team and getting game time there given his very long injury break. He's still clearly in sights but given the nature of his injury and the timing of his return - no super rugby and one club game and a half vs Fiji - they are probably managing him quite carefully.

I thought this may have been the game we saw the Fekitoa/Crotty midfield again. I thought they went well last year before Crotty got injured. It may mean Fekitoa is still not 100% right from being banged up in the semi and final. The Nonu/SBW combo really struggled vs England for fluency and cohesion.

A few things I will be looking for in this test match:

- An AB win
- SBW playing more direct to open up the space for Nonu's passing game
- Read and Kaino to actually be at the breakdown this week
- Romano to not run so upright
- Franks, Woody and Kev to be sighted other than at Anthem time
- Our replacement front row taking it to the Puma's at scrum time

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Clearly Hansen and co. rate Dagg.
But I assume, at some point, his luck runs out.
Ben Smith is a much better FB, and now with more options on the right wing - Naholo, NMS and Piutau, I think we can do better.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
ARGENTINA: Joaquin Tuculet, Horacio Agulla, Marcelo Bosch, Jeronimo De la Fuente, Santiago Cordero, Nicolas Sanchez, Tomas Cubelli; Facundo Isa, Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe, Juan Manuel Leguizamon, Guido Petti Pagadizabal, Manuel Carizza, Ramiro Herrera, Agustin Creevy (captain), Marcos Ayerza. Reserves: Julian Montoya, Lucas Noguera, Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro, Benjamin Macome, Javier Ortega Desio, Martin Landajo, Santiago Gonzalez Iglesias, Lucas Gonzalez Amorosino.

Blake

Ted Fahey (11)
Ben and Conrad, Coles, Nonu and Barret all being rested (or injured), from there super Semi and Final.

Dagg might be on his chance for the RWC, either way he'll be back. His whole career has been in and out of form.

Blake

Ted Fahey (11)
Agree except DC, he will be the starting 5/8 unless injured. Calved it when moved back to 5/8 for the 'saders and did well against Samoa.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting to see Grant Fox won't be in coaches box doing his selectors work this weekend, he over watching the British Open, his son has qualified to play in it.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
as precursor to RWC match am wondering if NZ coaches arent thinking "well, we know we can take them if we run it, how about we surprise them and focus on attacking their strength; their precious wanky machoman scrum."

hello 80 mins of scrum resets, testing different scrummaging manouevres, the wheel, the pincer, the pinwheel, the Reverse Gunstonian Skull Wedgie, the Fosbery Faceplant and so on.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I just realised this is an important game as they face each other in the RWC. I wonder if the ABs hold anything back?

Status
Not open for further replies.