• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks v Springboks - Eden Park, Sept 14th 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Got any facts to back that up, or is that just a feeling?

What facts could I possibly have besides having watched over 100 games which Bismarck has been involved in?

Of the 3 Currie Cup games on the weekend, I bet you'll see at least 2 similar incidents.

biltong

Stan Wickham (3)
There's a difference clearly. Barritt is falling. Messam's elbow/arm is not raised at the neck.
The difference in those two photo's are the time during the tackle it was taken, Bismarcks photo is taken as he hits Messam, the other photo is the result after the fend, the point of the photo is, both is in the neck region.

biltong

Stan Wickham (3)
All Blacks will win in SA. The SA guys are too big, they can't last.

The Springboks have outscored every one of their opponents in the last 20 minutes of every match this year.

The forwards may be big, but they do last the last 20 minutes.

Besides that, Meyer's bench is a true impact bench, when they come on, our pace and intensity has lifted every time.

biltong

Stan Wickham (3)
The Springboks when facing the All Blacks at Ellispark will be galvanised, they will have the determination to prove to the rugby world that they can compete and beat the All Blacks.

They won't change the way they play, we grow up in south Africa with a culture of being hard and physical, we play direct rugby, that is never going to change.

We have proven that our style is as effective as any other style of play, the all BLacks have finesse, balance and play a smart game with enough physicality to strike a perfect balance.

South Africa does not possess finesse, we never had as a collective, we now and then have individuals with finesse and when allowed to express themselves they become the unpredictable factor in south African rugby.

When you watch our Currie Cup or our Super Rugby teams go head to head, there is nothing more brutal and more beautiful, of that culture we are proud, and I for one do not ever want us to move away from that.

The game starts at the pack, the pack will determine the result of a match more often than not, and when it comes to physicality we have plenty of that.

It also really doesn't matter which way outsiders see our rugby, there are as many who criticise our style of play as there are true rugby pundits and supporters that respect and enjoy the way we play the game.

One thing that we have to change though is to pay more attacking rugby against NZ. that has been our biggest downfall, in the past we waited for them to attack and tried to live off their mistakes, no more.

The All Blacks are like any other team, vulnerable in defence and prone to making errors and commit infringements under pressure.

The deserved respect the All BLacks receive is often the downfall of most teams, you can respect them without being in awe of their record.

The day south African rugby decides to commit as much on attack as the All BLacks is the day we will go toe to toe with them every time.

There are many different ways to score a try, our way is power and pace, the All BLacks do it with pace, patience, continuity and finesses.

It isn't a question of which style is better, it is a question of which team believe in their systems the best, and play the positive rugby.

That we can learn and emulate from the All BLacks, believe in our abilities to attack and play that manner positively.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
biltong, I've watched Zane Kirchner since he first starting playing for Griquas whist still a teenager. He was always very quick had good ball skills of an inside back but had a wirey frame which made him a somewhat defensive liability. When he finally got his chance with the Bulls in Super rugby he was still quite a light frame.

This year Kirchner looks huge. He's bulked up considerably and has put in some very good defensive efforts against some bigger opponents. Additionally he's taking the ball into contact like a big centre.

I guess his transformation somewhat confirms your point about finesse and "more direct physical" play. He looked to have the finesse that put him on the radar for higher honours. But he seemed to have struggled with his "rugby identity" with him being in and out if the Bok side, but now with his extra bulk and better defense and providing some go forward he is now playing the game the "Bok" way. No surprise he is first choice fullback now.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
What facts could I possibly have besides having watched over 100 games which Bismarck has been involved in?

Of the 3 Currie Cup games on the weekend, I bet you'll see at least 2 similar incidents.

And Zander I could cite several incidents from non-SA teams in any competition anywhere in the world.

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)
In saying that, guys like Geoff Toohvey could tackle like crazy in league back in the day and he was probably the smallest guy on the park 98% of the time. He was a classic, go-low and drop 'em tackler.

Sammy Tuitupou was a small guy who could put a big hit on the big guys. I remember a number of hits he put on props/locks etc that had their eyes rolling back and their breath knocked out of them for a min or two.

I never knew how short Tuitupou was, just assumed he was massive due to thehit's he put on

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sport24
"I do not expect an apology. I have no doubt that Mr Poite had no ill intentions towards the Springboks or me. It must have been a great occasion for him to have been awarded a Test match viewed as arguably the greatest clash in world rugby. The commentary in the media must have an immense impact on him. I feel sorry for him and I do not want him to be banished from the rugby fraternity or to be viewed as a ‘villain’. I bear no grudges against him and I have no doubt that he tried his best out there on the field," said Du Plessis.

Du Plessis did admit though that both yellow cards came as a surprise to him and he is convinced the Boks would have won the Test if he wasn't sent off.

The Springboks' next game is against Australia at Newlands on September 28.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Bismarck is a top bloke (and it's nice he is "convinced" they would have won if he had not been sent off.)

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
As much as I try to hate him I can't he is just so nice damn him.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Like Sir Ruchie GOAT and many others, you can hate him for not living here and playing for the Good Guys in Gold, but you have to admire his skills.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Bismarck is a top bloke (and it's nice he is "convinced" they would have won if he had not been sent off.)

What exactly do you expect him to say?

"In my heart of hearts I knew we weren't a snowball's chance in hell so what the fuck I enjoyed the rest on the pine."

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
As much as I try to hate him I can't he is just so nice damn him.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

If you travel through the Free State rural areas this is pretty much what most people are like. Good salt of the earth.

Someone tweet this to James O'Connor.

Status
Not open for further replies.