• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks v Wallabies, Dunedin, 19th October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Their recent record in so-called dead rubbers is much worse than their overall record, which suggests something is different in those games. The obvious answer is that they take their foot off the gas.

yes, like the Oz cricket team of the late 90's early 2000's. Greatest team ever, but always seemed to lose dead rubbers. We can only hope.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Their recent record in so-called dead rubbers is much worse than their overall record, which suggests something is different in those games. The obvious answer is that they take their foot off the gas.

Or maybe the Wallabies just lose their stage fright and play closer to their potential when the pressure is off.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I reckon that the next 6, 7 and/or 8 that sticks his friggin head up should be dragged, hooked and crucified on a wooden cross.

Our scrum will always be under huge pressure when seagulls are looking for chips.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Seems the 8 has been instructed to retrieve the ball for the 9 in the last 6 games. Can't punish him for doing as told.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
I don't like that Corey Jane has come straight back in. Piutau should have been given the start with Jane off the bench.
Thrush at lock weakens us, but Retallick has had a very long season with the Chiefs and ABs.
Aside from that, the side looks alright.

Mark Sads

Frank Row (1)
Not an excuse. However, the amount of games the Wallabies play is killing us. We just can't sustain a top notch international team with the amount of injuries we pick up. I am sure the Wallabies will give the All Blacks a great match. However, expect a 10 - 15 point loss.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Seems the 8 has been instructed to retrieve the ball for the 9 in the last 6 games. Can't punish him for doing as told.

Don't have a problem with that but he still needs to push to make sure we win the ball and eyes down to pick the pill up.

on their feed push push and push.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Don't have a problem with that but he still needs to push to make sure we win the ball and eyes down to pick the pill up.

on their feed push push and push.

This criticism has been levelled at some of our defensive scrums, particularly those close to our try line.

Whilst it is essential for backrow to be pushing effectively, they have to balance being aware of what the other side is doing.

It's no good having your 6 put on a massive shove with their head down in the scrum whilst the opposition 8 runs past them to score a try.

This is one of the big advantages the attacking scrum has in these situations.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wallabies:

Slipper
Moore
Alexander
Simmons
Horwill (c)
Mowen
Hooper
McCalman
Genia
Cooper
Betham
To'omua
Kuridrani
Ashley-Cooper
Folau

Robinson, Kepu, Fainga'a, Timani, Dennis, White, Harris, Foley

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
No surprises there. Congrats to Betham - the right choice.

I look forward to seeing Robinson on the field for a significant part of the game. And Harris - less so.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Fatcat should be starting. Would have liked to have seen Timani at 5 but his status still seems a bit of a mystery.

Hopefully Betham crashes over for some meat.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
Just an observation.

Last week and again this week we have had different backlines with 6/7 starters being of colour. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) being the only typical anglo-celtic Australian. For those more knowledgable about the history of the game than myself, would this be new territory for a Wallabies side? I for one see it as a great thing for the game and the multiculturalism of our country, so please don't consider my interest to be anything more than just that.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
They've telegraphed defensive weakness by putting Betham out of position on the left wing (what is he going to do with his killer right foot step?) and putting AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the right wing (to tackle Savea?). Expect a lot of ball to Jane and a few tries for him too.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Betham played on the left wing for the Tahs....

Played most games off the bench (from memory) but pretty sure he scored most of his sensational tries on the right side of the field and they all involved him stepping in off that right foot like that pearler against the Brumbies. Similar story in ITM cup last year though he started as right wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.