• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Android apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
I have only had mine about a month and have spent most of my time rooting it and trying out some custom roms.

Would be interested in getting a few suggestions myself

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
pft, hardly, android was far superior in technicality and openness than the Ipod phone (not iphone since that trademark, along with ipad and iOS belongs to cisco) OS at its inception and still is, i can multitask, use flash, and not be watched by apples censors.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I have only had mine about a month and have spent most of my time rooting it and trying out some custom roms.

Would be interested in getting a few suggestions myself

Same as you, got it last month...have used it for GPS mapping of my runs by using DroidRun, although bit of a hassle having to put it in my pocket as can't find an accessory to strap in it on my arm a la ipod...

Navigation is pretty good but haven't had a chance to test it much...would dearly love to get free maps to use offline for the upcoming trip to Austria to avoid data roaming charges should I use Google maps ....

Lookout seems pretty handy, only just found it...it's both anti virus and mobile location device, it emits a loud noise should you wish to search it by tracking it down via its website...

For fun, I put in Big Fart Button, the kids love it!

Plus you have the usual suspects like Facebook, Google and perhaps Barcode Scanner...and as for games, its a matter of personal preference...

One thing, it's important to minimise the number of applications running to maximise battery life!

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Im in an HTC Legend and some of the apps i have are

3g watchdog - lets you monitor how much mobile internet you've used/are going to use
air control - game where you lead airplanes etc to the tarmac
angry birds (though you can only get that on getjar) - fun game
antivirus - to protect the phone
barcode scanner - scan qr codes etc
wapedia - wikipedia for mobile
goggles - cool google app to search for things with camera images
wolfram alpha - like a search engine, but for equations and conversions
tapatalk pro - for this
photoshop express - photoshop
gmote - turns phone into a remote control for computer
chess - game
compass - obvious
convertpad - converts stuff
ebay official - obvious
engadget - techblog articles
extended controls - controls a few things on a widget on your homescreen (wifi, bluetooth, screen brightness, customisable)
fxcamera - camera effects
locale (with a few plugins) - based on various situations the phone detects, certain settings are automatically applied
paper toss - game
retro camera - camera effects
shazam - music sensing
unblock me - game
twitter - social network
facebook - social network

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
navigation doesnt work in australia yet, and android 2.2 froyo has in built navigation by tomtom if you happen to have a phone lucky enough to get upgraded or with HTC.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
just a quick question. What's an android?

starwars.jpg

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
navigation doesnt work in australia yet, and android 2.2 froyo has in built navigation by tomtom if you happen to have a phone lucky enough to get upgraded or with HTC.

Maps brut is a hack on google maps that does navigation in aus.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Also I was lucky when I bought the HTC Wildfire and put in my old pay as you go sim card, its carrier T Mobile (UK) almost promptly offered me free six month's internet with that sim card!

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I've been using a G1 for almost 2 years, looking forward to end of contract as I'm keen to get something quicker. Rooted it early on before the guides were any good, currently running 2.1

Some very good apps have been:
Connectbot - Keeping G&GR.com up and kicking
Server Assistant - makes ConnectBot easier
Runkeeper - $10 but great for fitness stuff. My page: http://runkeeper.com/user/ozMoses
Fishin 2 Go - great time filler at the moment, still can't catch a 250lb yellowfin though
Robo Defense - I was up to level ~150 when I put a new ROM on and lost the saved games. D'oh.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
It's probably a good thing, otherwise I'd still be playing it. Became a bit repetitive after a while..

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
pft, hardly, android was far superior in technicality and openness than the Ipod phone (not iphone since that trademark, along with ipad and iOS belongs to cisco) OS at its inception and still is, i can multitask, use flash, and not be watched by apples censors.

I even ;) looks like I should've :fishing

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I even ;) looks like I should've :fishing

nah, woulda done it anyway.

I've been using a G1 for almost 2 years, looking forward to end of contract as I'm keen to get something quicker

I really want the Desire HD, but i still want to wait for bluetooth 4.0 and compatibility with SDXC format flash cards.

Do you really think that is necessary?

I think it rates up there with task killers and is totally superfluous.

i think its worth it, afterall, it is a computer, gives it some extra protection, theres a few people out there trying to hijack peoples phones given the information they have on them. It will probably get integrated into android with 2.4 or something, but for now.

task killers are useless, but android 2.2 comes with an in built one, has to be a reason for that.

I also think that if you have any of the modern HTC's theres no point in rooting them, they're already done up pretty well.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
I really want the Desire HD, but i still want to wait for bluetooth 4.0 and compatibility with SDXC format flash cards.

The desire HD would be sweet, but we need an 850 version to run on Telstra (at least for me...)

i think its worth it, afterall, it is a computer, gives it some extra protection, theres a few people out there trying to hijack peoples phones given the information they have on them. It will probably get integrated into android with 2.4 or something, but for now.

task killers are useless, but android 2.2 comes with an in built one, has to be a reason for that.

I also think that if you have any of the modern HTC's theres no point in rooting them, they're already done up pretty well.

Point taken, but it is a *nix core, I don't run any AV on my Linux boxes at home, and there is even less data to lose on a phone (with most of it being synced from exchange/google).

I rooted for two reasons:
1. To get Froyo faster than Telstra were going to release it
2. It is MY device and philosophically, I want to be in charge, just as I wouldn't have a PC that didn't let me have root/administrator access, nor should I have a phone like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.